Basketball Start Date

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Basketball Start Date

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated by Kevin KinderKevin Kinder.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

27 game season

Oct 14 practice starts.  30 practices.

No scrimmages or exhibition games.

With a minimum of 13 games against D1 teams required to be eligible for the Dance, it would be possible for the PAC12 to do a modified conference only schedule and slide into the Dance.  It is only “suggested” that 4 OOC games be played.

Interesting thought on the 13 game thing

Doc, that surprised me.  How do you go thru the season with only 13 games and expect to be invited to the Dance.  If you have to cancel that many games because of your problems with COVID or your opponents problems there is a real problem throughout the system.

So ….. of the 27 games, WVU could schedule 9 games OOC, win all 9 and play only 4 B12 games against the 2 bottom feeders anc come away with a 13-0 record.  Possibly with a reg season B12 conf championship, go into the B12 championship games with a couple bye’s because of COVID, win the last game and take the crown.  Then expect a #1 seed?

IMO a minimum 13 games is a joke.  Play the whole 27 game season schedule.  If a team has a COVID problem they should count that as a L ….. not a suspended game.  No need to punish a team that is 100% following COVID protocol.

WVU scheduled to participate in the Battle for Atlantis in South Dakota, but otherwise all OOC games are probably up in the air.

If Atlantis is in South Dakota we have WAY bigger problems than COVID.

So Jeff.  You think we would renegotiate the whole OOC schedule? B12/SEC challenge …. Hall of Fame Invitational …… BE / B12 Battle ….

I just think that things might move toward more of a multiple game format in a single venue type of thing. Not to say there can’t or won’t be “one offs” played, but definitely some hurdles to that.

A few notes:

There have always been minimums on the number of games played. Last year it was 26 in order to be eligible to be selected to the Tournament.

There are going to be games cancelled. Some teams might lose 2-3 weeks. The Big 10 in football is definitely in that danger zone, as a player with a positive test has to sit our for 3 weeks. That’s almost half their season.

In an ordinary year, sure, that 13 minimum doesn’t make sense. In this one, though, I have a tough time arguing against it. If WVU went 14-1 but had a three week hiatus due to Covid, should it be out of the NCAAs? Yep, that’s a tough call, and all sorts of things go into it – who you played, what you looked like, etc.

Another thing to consider is if a team lost a number of games due to covid, the reduced number of minimum games gives them that additional incentive to continue to practice and play hard.  Which is good not only for them but for who they are playing.  No sense seeing teams packing it in, or even semi-packing it in, late in the season because they wouldn’t qualify regardless of how they looked.  Could lead to an inflated record for their opponents.

Would there be a new win-loss column that includes games cancelled/postponed and have that as a minor number statistic for determining the 64 field.  Not sure if it would be valuable by it could be.

I’m still in favor of giving teams a L if they have to cancel a game because of COVID.   if you can’t control your team don’t punish the other team with a no contest

I disagree Butlereer.  Too much uncertainty to “control your team”.  You can do things to improve your chances of staying healthy, but you really can’t make it a certainty.

Rip: Interesting point.  I would bet that will be included in the data used by the selection committee.

Butler: 100% disagree. A person can do everything “right” and still contract the virus. Noting short of total isolation could prevent it.

Rip: Interesting point.  I would bet that will be included in the data used by the selection committee.

Butler: 100% disagree. A person can do everything “right” and still contract the virus. Noting short of total isolation could prevent it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Basketball Start Date