Fans See Slow Start, Strong Finish As WVU Throttles Kansas

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Fans See Slow Start, Strong Finish As WVU Throttles Kansas

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated by Jeff CobbJeff Cobb.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. — Fans finally returned to Mountaineer Field on Saturday, and you can guess with lowly Kansas as the opposition, they were expecti
    [See the full post at: Fans See Slow Start, Strong Finish As WVU Throttles Kansas]

I know one thing we really need a field goal kicker.

Staley is very good from 40 and in. Outside that range, he was very good in 2018, but that has fallen off over the last 15 games. Two of his long distance misses were from 50+

2020:   3-4    0-1

2019:    8-9    3-8

2018:    7-7    9-13

2017:     6-7    0-0

Inside the 40 he is 24-27 in his career.

40 and longer, he is 12-22.

Not sure what the national averages are in those breakdowns.

With 2 misses from 50+ that means he is 12-20 from 40-49.  If all of those were from 49 (they’re not) that would mean the drive stalled out at about the 32 yard line, and maybe as close as the 23.  Getting to about the 30, or even inside the 25, and not being able to consistently put 3 points on the board costs games, or may cost games down the road.

We do not try that many 50 yarders because he has already shown an inability to hit a high percentage from beyond 40.  I know he does not want to miss and I am sure he tries his best and works hard.  But we need more production from outside the 40.

I am giving the WVU offense the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I think it is hard to develop any sort of rhythm with all the bye weeks. Once we get to the end of this 5-game stretch, we will know a lot more about this offense — and the WVU team as a whole.

I just think it’s hard to judge right now with the stop/start nature of the season thus far.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Fans See Slow Start, Strong Finish As WVU Throttles Kansas