Things Have Changed At WVU, But Fans Excited For Old Rivalry

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Things Have Changed At WVU, But Fans Excited For Old Rivalry

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sam12 .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Things Have Changed At WVU, But Fans Excited For Old Rivalry By: Bob Hertzel The more things change in Morgantown, it seems, the more they stay the sa
    [See the full post at: Things Have Changed At WVU, But Fans Excited For Old Rivalry]

NoPittyHere

Good read.

I agree with Hertzel about remaining rivals ‘until all of us old fogeys who remember those games die off,’ but it’s more than that. In the southern part of the state, those folks grew up with and work around VPI fans and alumni, much as those of us from the northern part of the state do with Pitt fans and alumni–at least as it relates to having to work with them, and are forced to put up with their mouths.

It’s a regional thing, pure and simple–and it’s no different in any other part of the country.

As much as I love the Big 12, it’s a shame what conference realignment has done to collegiate athletics, from a fan’s perspective. From an AD’s perspective, it has to be a nightmare–trying to balance preserving some of those rivalries with some of the guaranteed wins the Alabamas and the Ohio States get away with every year to pad their win columns to assure their entry into the playoffs.

But as it is with Morgantown’s changing landscape, so it is with the landscape of collegiate athletics…

dceers

I think the question is a bit misleading though. If I asked which conference gives you the matchups you’d rather see, the Big East Versions 1 and 2 or the Big 12 I bet the answer would be different. I completely enjoy each of the Big 12 games more. The Big East might have had 1 or 2 “big” games a year but that doesn’t really compare to what we play today.

Now I grew up playing Pitt, Penn State, Syracuse, and Virginia Tech and I’d like to see us play them off and on again. Being in a conference with them, while nice, is long gone and I am so over it.

I’ll take what we have now, different isn’t bad in this case. Just think, we could have been in the AAC right now!

NoPittyHere

I think the question is a bit misleading though. If I asked which conference gives you the matchups you’d rather see, the Big East Versions 1 and 2 or the Big 12 I bet the answer would be different. I completely enjoy each of the Big 12 games more. The Big East might have had 1 or 2 “big” games a year but that doesn’t really compare to what we play today. Now I grew up playing Pitt, Penn State, Syracuse, and Virginia Tech and I’d like to see us play them off and on again. Being in a conference with them, while nice, is long gone and I am so over it. I’ll take what we have now, different isn’t bad in this case. Just think, we could have been in the AAC right now!

<hr />

Good point. And I’m firmly in your camp. I think most are.

Still, it’s necessary to bring up everything that Hertzel has done in this piece. And he and others are right for doing so.

Tobywvu

Agree with the sentiments, while I will always hate pitt😁 and am very happy to see a few of our old rivals on the future schedules, I really enjoy being in the B12.

NoPittyHere

Perhaps in the bigger picture the questions should focus more on the future than in the past. We’re all quite aware of what has transpired over a very short period of time in the collegiate landscape–and with it all of the multitude of possibilities that its future holds. Absolutely NO one knows (despite some of the claims from some pretty intellectually bankrupt individuals with a “pen,”) which is a big part of its allure.

What Hertzel wrote relates to nostalgia. Which is something very personal that affects ALL of us–and which is so very short lived, in reality, particularly regarding this topic for us college sports fans and alumni.

While not ideal for either the Big 12 nor WVU geographically, our inclusion was born out of necessity, which is undeniable. But sometimes, those very things are a sign of providence–believing that or assigning another explanation.

That imparted, as much as I pined for WVU to be a part of the SEC, it has become my opinion that the Big 12 was a much better fit for WVU, not only from a cultural standpoint, but more importantly as a school that desires to advance its place in academia and further its mission to the people of West Virginia.

Yeah, I miss those old rivalries. Very much. But despite that, I have also very much enjoyed the company of some pretty special friends I’ve made over a short period of time in the form of opposing fans from Big 12 schools–and enjoyed even more being host to them as opposed to what I EVER did with any former rival from the East.

Add to that what I mentioned about the school’s benefit with the association of being a Big 12 member–not to mention the financial boon to the school, and it’s absolutely, positively a no-brainer.

Westward ho!

Sam12

It was Oliver Luck who 1st stated that we would look to fill OOC games with p5 teams from our locale, which gives us the best of both worlds.  That has already come to fruition with Maryland, Va. Tech, Pitt and Penn State on the schedule.   Good OOC games are a plus to any season!  It’s a shame they can’t alternate in a home and away series, but I will take what I can get.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Things Have Changed At WVU, But Fans Excited For Old Rivalry