WVU Awaiting Big 12 Football Scheduling Decision

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Awaiting Big 12 Football Scheduling Decision

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated by Kevin KinderKevin Kinder.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

The Big 12 is the only Power 5 conference that has not yet announced if it is going to alter its 2020 football schedules in the face of COVID-19. The
    [See the full post at: WVU Awaiting Big 12 Football Scheduling Decision]

With more of the non P5 schools and conferences cancelling fall FB, what are the odds that there will be a season at all?  All it’s going to take is a state governor in the P12 or ACC hot spot states or a conference commish to put a halt to all of it.

Well . . . . . it is a political year and governors are nothing if not political.  You’re right Butler, all it will take is one or two governors to put the kibash to the whole season.

That’s true, but the political angle holds sway. I don’t see any governor cancelling sports altogether. Limting fan attendance, yes, I can see them holding the line on that.

All the cancellations so far have been DII or DIII and FCS. Now, if we get a G5 conference cancelling, that’s a little bit of a concern, but that is not going to make a P5 league cancel.

No P5 commissioner is going to unilaterally cancel. They serve at the will and pleasure of the league presidents and chancellors.

On the topic of limiting attendance, they were talking about how to limit student attendance at home football games on SL last evening.  The threw out a number of say 4,000 as an example.  I think the easy answer is to limit student attendance to those that will actually STAY through the second half of the game.  That may not even REACH 4,000.  Tongue firmly in cheek.

Mountaineer Field’s listed capacity is 60,000, meaning if WVU is allowed 20 percent of capacity, that is on 12,000, while 25 percent of capacity is 15,000. Some schools are apparently targeting 20 percent of capacity while others are slightly higher. I doubt WVU would be allowed to go over 25 percent. Is the band allowed to attend? It probably won’t be able to play on the field during the game, and how do you socially distance a band in the stands if they do attend. And if they are there, that takes away upwards of 500 from the capacity allowed in the stadium and/or out of the student allotment. If you go by straight 25 percent, the normal 11,000-seat allotment for students would be 2,750, but I would assume students would get a higher number than that, though I don’t know for certain. In the end, I assume there will be fans in the stands at Mountaineer Field this year for home games, but that number is almost certainly going to be very small. In addition, there probably won’t be tailgating this year and many other protocols will be in place. It’s going to be a very strange season, if there actually is one. I think FBS schools will play this fall, but it’s going to be weird.

Kevin, you think Newsom in CA, Inslee in WA or Kate Brown in OR who let radicals take over a whole section of Portland, you think they wouldn’t bow to the masses that are demanding to shut down FB in the P12 this year?  They would do it in a heartbeat.

First, leave out the political commentary.

Second, what masses in those states are demanding that football be shut down? Please link to any surveys or polls that indicate that.

Of course there are some writers that are advocating a shutdown. I am sure some of the general public agrees. But I have not seen anything that indicates a mass, a majority or a significant minority that is calling for a shutd0wn. Please LMK of what you have seen.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Awaiting Big 12 Football Scheduling Decision