WVU Depth Chart – Game Two

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Depth Chart – Game Two

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated by wvucinci.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Depth Chart

Updated 9/22/20

Offense

Position First Second
    WR (X) Bryce Ford-Wheaton Sean Ryan
    WR (H) Winston Wright Jr. Isaiah Esdale
    LT Junior Uzebu Brandon Yates
    LG James Gmiter Blaine Scott
    C Chase Behrndt Zach Frazier
    RG Michael Brown Jordan White
    RT John Hughes Briason Mays
    TE (Y) T.J. Banks or
    Mike O’Laughlin
    SLOT Reese Smith T.J. Simmons
    WR (Z) Sam James Sam Brown or
    Ali Jennings
    QB Jarret Doege Austin Kendall
    RB (F) Leddie Brown Alec Sinkfield

Defense

Position First Second
    DT Dante Stills Akheem Mesidor
    NT Darius Stills Quay Mays or
    Jordan Jefferson
    DE Jeffery Pooler Jr. Jalen Thornton
    BANDIT Jared Bartlett or
    VanDarius Cowan
    WLB Josh Chandler-Semedo Exree Loe
    MLB Tony Fields II Dylan Tonkery
    SPEAR Tykee Smith Jairo Faverus
    LCB Dreshun Miller Jackie Matthews
    FS Alonzo Addae Jake Long
    CS Sean Mahone Noah Guzman
    RCB Nicktroy Fortune Daryl Porter Jr.

Special Teams

Position First Second
    K Evan Staley Casey Legg
    H Graeson Malashevich
    P Tyler Sumpter Kolton McGhee
    KO Evan Staley Casey Legg
    LS Kyle Poland J.P. Hadley
    KOR Winston Wright Jr. Sam James
    PR Alec Sinkfield Graeson Malashevich

Any word on T.J. Simmons? Seems our 2nd best WR is having a rocky start to the season. Simply a nagging injury (limiting practice time) or something more serious?

Simmons was one of 11 Mountaineers suspended for the first game. He’s listed as second team for this game, so we’ll see how much he plays. He’s the one player among those suspended who has dropped some from the pre-suspension depth chart to this one.

No major surprises to me in the 2 deep, though James and Smith are showing the preseason hype was not just hype, at least to this point.  Not sure starter versus backup matters much other than on the lines and at QB, possibly at MLB as well.

I just really like our wideouts.  And with Graeson on the travel squad due to special teams play we really are carrying 10 wideouts.  If all 10 played and all 10 caught at least 1 pass it would not surprise me.  Not saying it is going to happen, just that it would not surprise me.  If Doege can consistently get them the ball ……..

If anything the Cowan OR Bartlett is a surprise but when you watch Bartlett may be the physically more gifted of the two.

While Cowan has a year on Barlett development wise, Barlett likely has more game snaps than Cowan, at least in a WVU uniform.  I’m hoping they both take a step up this year and give us solid performance from that position.  Certainly is possible.

Bartlett error Cowan surprises me especially with the hype Cowan got coming in.  Shows how fast some of these kids develop.

I’ve noted more than once that Cowan has all the phsyical tools necessary. Can he be disciplined and execute his assignments, especially when he’s not at the edge rushing spot but rather a second level defender?

That’s the battle between he and Bartlett.

KK, are you saying that in your opinion Cowan is more of a one dimensional but better on the line and Bartlett is the better overall player?

No. I’m saying that Cowan has all the physical tools to be excellent at all aspects of the bandit position. However, sometimes he’s out of position, and as Neal Brown noted in his lengthy comments on him on Tuesday, he was on the ground too much and has to be more consistent.

If Cowan’s only job was to rush the passer, as Bruce Irvin’s was here, then some of those other things probably don’t get noticed as much.

c

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports WVU Depth Chart – Game Two