2018 & 2019 QB position…

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports 2018 & 2019 QB position…

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by DrJohn DrJohn .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Obviously the 2018 QB is Grier’s but what if he leaves early?

QB’s on roster or coming in are…

Will Grier – 1 season (Maybe)
    Davis Isreal – 2 seasons – Mobile QB –
    Jack Allison – 3 seasons – Pocket passer, 6’5, highly recruited. How good is this kid? Seems to have a quick release. Accurate. Does he start the next 3 seasons if Grier leaves?
    Chris Chugunov – 2 seasons – Looks like a career backup
    Jack Buetel – 3 seasons – Walkon – Career scout team QB?
    Trey Lowe – 4 seasons – Does he sit for 3 years behind Allison?

Im guessing …
    2018 = Grier
    2019 = Allison
    2020 = Allison
    2021 Lowe

Thoughts?

Looks reasonable. I don’t know much about how Allison has been doing this fall. He looks promising based on past information.

Allison, as you say has a quick release. He threw deep outs nicely in practices we could view. However, next to none of that was live.

WVU will have to upgrade its pass protection if Allison is to thrive. He doesn’t have the size or elusiveness that Grier has, and certainly not that Lowe has. He needs a clean pocket.

The timeline above is one good possibility. I don’t want to give up on Chugs, but the fact that WVU installed a wildcat, and the number of missed passes he had vs. UT and OU, raise questions that he is going to have to answer.

Isreal really zips the ball, and his spiral is tight. But his accuracy is a big ? mark. Now, if WVU goes to the single wing…

If Grier leaves, which I don’t think he will, the Allison – Chugs battle would be very much alive.

As we’ve seen since Dana has been at WVU, looking too far down the road with an accuracy at the quarterback position can be tough because of the transfer options. Clint Trickett, Skyler Howard, Will Grier and Jack Allison didn’t take direct paths to WVU. Some discredit Dana in the fact that he’s had difficulty recruiting a high school quarterback who develops into a starter at WVU. But as long as he keeps finding quality starting quarterbacks, I don’t care where they come from.

Those who discredit Holgs for not recruiting HS QB’s need to take a breath. HS or JC or Transfer. What does it matter. Fact is that we’ve had a pretty good QB’s every year. Geno, Clint, Skyler, Will filled every year from Holgs arrival. People may not have thought Clint or Skyler were good, but they certainly filled the role. Problem is that the backups weren’t there when needed. With the arrivel of Isreal and Allison and FR Lowe to compliment Chugs we finally have choices and time for kids to develop.

Go back to Holgs 1st year. 2011 he was left with 1 QB, Geno to start the year beside the 2 FR, Millard and Athey that he recruited late in the game. Talk about cupboard bare….. It took a couple years to rebuild the depth because of some misses. All along trying to get the total numbers back up to 85.

Looks like we’ve got most of the pieces in place now with the right type of bodies in the right position. Sometimes it takes a while and you have to go the JC / Transfer route to get there.

I believe if we are somewhat patient with spavital, he will draw in and recruit high quality qbs. That’s definitely his best attribute. I’m still trying to be patient with OC abilities. I hope that progresses with time also

I suppose Greg has a point.
    Getting the best starting QB is important no matter where he comes from. Call me crazy though, but I would love to se this staff develop Chugunov, Israel, Allison or Lowe so that one or more just might become a quality starter OR at least a backup competent enough to step in if that starter goes down so that the coaches do not have to scrap the offense or bring in a top wide receiver to fill the gap. So just where is William Crest?

Go Mountaineers!

Allison and Lowe, at least by the internet bobbleheads, have a good chance of being the next best QB. But I think all 4 with a year under their belt could be at least a good backup next year to Grier. IMO Grier doesn’t leave this year. there are too many good QB’s in this draft. He’d be best suited to show his stuff next year and be a 1st rounder.

I would feel much better going into the UT game with Grier instead of a QB making his first or second start. UT is down but I’m sure they will have renewed energy and excitement whenever they find a coach. I lived in Nashville for a year…what an arrogant fan base!

Grier will be there for the UT game. Otherwise would be a mistake on his part.

With a good coach, there is no reason that UT wouldn’t be back to being one of the top teams in the SEC again.

I know what you mean about the arrogance. It’s not just with the fan base. It’s the general population. I dealt with small business owners for years in that area. They all felt that they were “above” the rest of the peons.

So just where is William Crest?

Go Mountaineers!

Crest is still on the team. He just isn’t good enough to push for playing time at any position, QB or otherwise. Great attitude, great teammate, but just didn’t have the talent to get into the rotation anywhere.

And 2 years ago (RFR Year) there were a number on this board (old board) that were livid that Crest wasn’t getting some starting time. He didn’t even see the field this year.

I am not upset that W Creat did not get playing time if his talent did not measure up. Just remain curious about the the original hype, pomp and circumstance.

Original hype was that in HS he was a 4* recruit.  Great athlete.  It just didn’t translate into any position at the next level.  He wanted to be a QB, but didn’t have the talent to learn how to read the D and his accuracy was very suspect.  He switched to WR but didn’t run the routs right.  Tried a couple plays running the ball, didn’t work out.

He may have been best suited to gain a few lbs and move to LB.

All in all there were a number of derelict dipstick couch potato coaches that were livid that he didn’t get a better shot at QB.  Some of our “greatest” fans just have no clue.

Original hype was that in HS he was a 4* recruit. Great athlete. It just didn’t translate into any position at the next level. He wanted to be a QB, but didn’t have the talent to learn how to read the D and his accuracy was very suspect. He switched to WR but didn’t run the routs right. Tried a couple plays running the ball, didn’t work out.

All in all there were a number of derelict dipstick couch potato coaches that were livid that he didn’t get a better shot at QB. Some of our “greatest” fans just have no clue.

As fans, we must rely on our coaches to recruit and evaluate the best players that are available to our team. We then rely on that staff to develop the talent that they saw in those players. This has never been done from the couch. Fans who are disappointed when that process fails and a highly touted player makes little or no contribution to the team are neither derelict nor dipsticks. They are fans. The dereliction of duty is not ours.

Go Mountaineers!

I would not say that the dereliction of duty is on the coaches either, unless the “failure” rate is very high. Jsut like in any other profession. Do 4.0 students that wash out in med school the fault of their instructors?

Original hype was that in HS he was a 4* recruit. Great athlete. It just didn’t translate into any position at the next level. He wanted to be a QB, but didn’t have the talent to learn how to read the D and his accuracy was very suspect. He switched to WR but didn’t run the routs right. Tried a couple plays running the ball, didn’t work out.

All in all there were a number of derelict dipstick couch potato coaches that were livid that he didn’t get a better shot at QB. Some of our “greatest” fans just have no clue.

As fans, we must rely on our coaches to recruit and evaluate the best players that are available to our team. We then rely on that staff to develop the talent that they saw in those players. This has never been done from the couch. Fans who are disappointed when that process fails and a highly touted player makes little or no contribution to the team are neither derelict nor dipsticks. They are fans. The dereliction of duty is not ours.

Go Mountaineers!

That’s it. Blame it on the coach. One 4* QB can’t get it right and it’s the coach’s fault. But two transfers that played much higher than their ratings at QB but not to your standards are crap and should not have been on the field.

I would not say that the dereliction of duty is on the coaches either, unless the “failure” rate is very high. Jsut like in any other profession. Do 4.0 students that wash out in med school the fault of their instructors?

True.
    One should probably look at the overall success.

Go Mountaineers!

Go Mountaineers!

That’s it. Blame it on the coach. One 4* QB can’t get it right and it’s the coach’s fault. But two transfers that played much higher than their ratings at QB but not to your standards are crap and should not have been on the field.

I don’t see it as a blame game. I look across the college football landscape and see an environment of not blame but rather expectation. Perhaps expectation that is too high? If your expectations are being met then you are satisfied.

Go Mountaineers!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports 2018 & 2019 QB position…