#26 WVU plays THREE Top 25 teams in a row now!

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports #26 WVU plays THREE Top 25 teams in a row now!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Check out CBS’ Top 26 teams!

CBS Top 25 puts WVU at #26. Baylor drops to #2. Auburn #1. Kansas #9. Future Big 12 member Houston #10. Iowa State #14. Texas Tech #16. Texas #25. West Virginia #26.

So Big 12 teams play TWELVE games against Top 26 teams!

Any other conference do that? Big 12 teams play EVERYBODY twice. Big 10 and SEC and ACC and Pac-12 play dodgeball so you don’t have to play all the tough teams in your conference, just in your division.

#26 WVU will visit #9 Kansas, then play #2 Baylor, then #6 Texas Tech IN A ROW!

It’s awesome. No wonder I only watch WVU and Big 12 teams on TV!

CFE the other conferences have substantially more teams than the Big 12. In order to play as many of the conference teams as possible they have to alternate and that is the reason you don’t play every team in you division. If the SEC played every team twice not even sure you would get much on the side of playing any OOC game. We play what like 18 in conference games. To roll through the SEC twice you would have like 26 in conference games. At that rate you might get 3 in conference games. CFE I understand your line of thinking but come on Bro. In conference that a split in Two you really never know who is going to be the next super star team or teams in the conference. I do believe that or as well as everyone the teams have a beast schedule. When we add additional schools we will miss schools in certain years

When we add additional schools we will miss schools in certain years.

YOU ARE CORRECT. AND I’VE SAID THAT THAT IS THE SAD THING ABOUT LOSING OKLAHOMA AND TEXAS AND ADDING 4 TEAMS TO GO TO 12. THE BIG 12 NO LONGER WILL BE THE ONLY CONFERENCE WHERE EVERYBODY PLAYS EVERYBODY IN FOOTBALL AND EVERYBODY TWICE IN BASKETBALL. I KNOW THE OTHER CONFERENCES CAN’T DO IT BECAUSE THEY HAVE TOO MANY MEMBERS. BUT THAT DOES … AND I THINK YOU AGREE … MAKE THEIR DIVISION STANDING SUSPECT BECAUSE IT IS BASED ON WHO THEY DO NOT PLAY AS MUCH AS WHO THEY DO PLAY. I LOVE THE BIG 12 THE WAY IT IS. I’M NOT HAPPY WITH THE BIG 12 GOING TO 12 BUT I UNDER THE TV ECONOMICS OF IT AND I THINK THE 4 ADDITIONS OF HOUSTON, BYU, CENTRAL FLORIDA AND CINCINNATI WILL KEEP THE CONFERENCE STRONG. AS ALWAYS, I RESPECT YOUR RESPONSES AND OPINIONS. AND I KNOW THAT EVERY OPINION, INCLUDING MINE AND YOURS, HAS FLAWS. I JUST LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THAT IN THE BIG 12 EVERYONE PLAYS EVERYONE ELSE THE SAME NUMBER OF TIMES. ALL THE OTHER CONFERENCES SHOULD HAVE 10 MEMBERS AND DO THE SAME INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HAVE A ZILLION MEMBERS FOR TV MONEY. COLLEGE SPORTS WOULD BE BETTER IF THEY DID. DON’T YOU AGREE WITH THAT? 

And that’s why division standing in those conferences is not looked at by anyone in any meaningful way. Sure, it might be mentioned in passing, but it carries no weight in bowl selections or NCAA Tournament picks.

Excellent point, Kevin. And why finishing high in the Big 12 means so much more. Almost 90% in whipping the rest of America! Whoo-hoo! On to Kansas, Baylor and Texas Tech, a routine 3-game stretch for a Big 12 team!

I suspect that when the new teams are added and the two teams depart, the division teams will play everyone in their division two times, plus one team (designated partner) in the  other division two times, and all other teams once.  This will be 17 conference games, plus at least one conference championship tournament game.  This will give each team a minimum of 18 games against conference foes.

In football, I suspect that division teams will play each division team, plus one team( (designated partner) from the other division annually.  Then play two games, one home and one away against the other division teams, with who they play changing annually.  That will be eight games conference schedule.  And four OOC games.  This will allow teams to play two games to help your win total and two regional foes.

I believe the SEC does it right with the two easy OOC games, one at the beginning of the year, and one halfway through the year.  That gives the teams a breather before continuing their conference schedules.

Division and even Conference standings mean little.  If they did the ASUN and AmerEast, etc, would have more than 1 in the Dance every year.  The ranking system for the Dance with the pods seem to be the best yet way to evaluate team strength.  Not entirely 100% fool proof, but better than just having the media bobbleheads and coaches vote.

I like the SEC scheduling although it seems unfair vs other conferences that play only 3 OOC games.  With the B1G and SEC and their rotating schedules some of the top teams don’t have to face each other every year.  Some of the schedules seem very light with only 1 or maybe 2 tough games with the rest the bottom feeders in the conference.

You  make good points. And expose the unwanted difference between the Big 12 and the SEC. Those patsy games. There are NO patsy games in basketball in the Big 12 and only Kansas is a patsy game in football in the Big 12. That makes the Big 12 standings more meaningful than all the other conferences. But, like everything else in history and life, that will go by the boards when Oklahoma and Texas leave and Cincinnati, BYU, Central Florida and Houston come aboard. The new 12-team Big 12 still will be a good conference but playing every team every season in football may go by the boards.                       

No one has the guts to adopt it but my 64-year playoff in the final 6 weeks of the season, with all 64 teams playing every one of the 6 weeks, would determine #1 to #64 and no humans would have a say in putting their favorites above someone else’s favorites. Winners would advance in winners brackets and losers would advance in losers brackets. That still would leave the first 6 weeks to play anyone you wanted. Eight 8-team conferences or one 64-team conference would make it workable. I know that would mean fans of WVU, for example, wouldn’t know till the first round game is played where the second round game would be played, but we’re a mobile society these days. It’s not unworkable. Just too much outside the box for NCAA or National Playoff Committee brains to handle. It works great for March Madness. Why not for football? And the excitement would bring in the TV money to be shared by the teams that play, too. Because after the first or second round there would be this fantastic matchups of the best 16 teams in the country week after week. Wouldn’t need any polls after the first season because the results of the 64-team, 6-week tournament would automatically rank every team from #1 to #64 for next year’s first round brackets. Thinking outside the box for a solution brings out the YeahButHeads in droves. So will this post. Just watch.

It’s a lack of guts, eh?

Yeah, that’s the ticket

And vision. Which I have in so many ways in my life over the years. It’s not easy being ahead of the curve because people resent it instead of appreciating it. But, hell, the crucified Christ for being too good for their states so I should expect it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports #26 WVU plays THREE Top 25 teams in a row now!