A Few Sunday Thoughts

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports A Few Sunday Thoughts

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

K-State has been able to stay in previous games (and win some) on the strength of its return game. WVU totally negated that this week with good kick placement, great coverage and sure tackling. K-State might not have the great personnel it had on those squads in previous years, but Zubner is pretty good.

Deamonte Lindsay has been a demon on special teams. Been asking for him for an interview for a couple of weeks. Hopefully at some point he will be approved.

I’m encouraged by the progression of Norwood and Washington and Pitts at CB. It’s step by step, and obviously much bigger tests are to come. But WVU has four CBs it can play now, so at least it can keep guys from getting too worn down. Not saying they will be shutdown corners, but I think they will allow WVU to be competitive in the secondary. Obviously Texas Tech this week will be a really good benchmark.

Back Judge Lyndon Nixon was terrible. All he was concerned about was getting teams off the field after scores, while missing calls in the field. Most egregiously, that included a takedown of David Sills on a route up the hash marks.

Jovani Haskins left the field a couple of series after he took a helmet to helmet hit after a reception. He left without being accompanied by anyone.

Alec Sinkfield had his ankle taped, but was not dressed. He stood on it through most of the game.

In the first quarter, a photographer on the sideline committed the egregious sin of sitting down to shoot. That makes you totally vulnerable, and just isn’t smart. He got trucked by K-State QB Skylar Thompson a few plays later. Lesson: Kneeling is ok so long as you can hop up quickly. Sitting down is not the choice.

Still watching the game, and trying to make up my mind about the run blocking overall. Will ask about it again on Tuesday.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 103,615

Surprised that Nixon didn’t flag us for forcing Thompson into the KSt photographer.

NoPittyHere
    Muskets: 27,445

Those were some awesome observations–something only those of us that come to this site can enjoy.

Funny thing to me though, is the name Lyndon Nixon–were his parents completely politically challenged, or what??? (Which may explain him being off the ball as opposed to being on the ball. 😉 )

mexman
    Muskets: 39,700

Lindsay definitely standing out in special teams. At one point I said to my buddy “Lindsay has made every tackle on special teams so far”.

How is he progressing at safety?

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Those were some awesome observations–something only those of us that come to this site can enjoy.

Funny thing to me though, is the name Lyndon Nixon–were his parents completely politically challenged, or what??? (Which may explain him being off the ball as opposed to being on the ball. 😉 )

That’s awesome – never thought in that direction!

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Lindsay definitely standing out in special teams. At one point I said to my buddy “Lindsay has made every tackle on special teams so far”.

How is he progressing at safety?

He’s the #2 behind Dravon at spur. In the UT game, he was one of the extra DBs on the field in passing situations, but this week it was an additional corner that subbed in for JoVanni. That could change next week against a more pass-oriented team – maybe WVU subs in two DBs for two LBs (taking Tonk off the field as well). Either way, think he will be a frontrunner at spur next year.

mexman
    Muskets: 39,700

Certainly seems we will need more speed and cover guys next week.

Question for you. Other than the fact that Stewart as a LB in HS why would he, the smallest of our safeties, get the nod at LB? It just seems Kenny Robinson is made for the switch and has the frame to actually grow into a legit LB, perhaps with NFL ability. Sooooo, why Stewart?

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder

Certainly seems we will need more speed and cover guys next week.

Question for you. Other than the fact that Stewart as a LB in HS why would he, the smallest of our safeties, get the nod at LB? It just seems Kenny Robinson is made for the switch and has the frame to actually grow into a legit LB, perhaps with NFL ability. Sooooo, why Stewart?

Stewart is very aggressive. Talking to Reese Donahue after the game about being undersized against the K-State running game, and he said it’s all mindset, for both himself and Stewart, who he singled out. We’ll have Reese’s interview up in the next day or so, and you can hear it from him directly. He said he rewatches practice and game film just to watch JoVanni blast big guys.

Putting that together with comments from Gibby, Stewart is the hardest hitter, and gives speed at LB that really helps. He was the first guy out to spill the 4th down option play of KState, and he covers the field well.

I would not argue that Robinson couldn’t make the switch if needed. But, he’s already bounced around a couple of times, and he’s just settling in at free. Moving him would disrupt the defense even further – now you have to get another FS working with the first team. Sometimes that might be the best option, but I don’t think it is here.

Stewart has played well, hasn’t gotten blown out by runs right at him (although that is something to continue to watch for). At the root, it’s still about getting the best 11 on the field, and I have been told that he is in that group in the judgment of the coaches.

Historical note: When Darrell Whitmore broke his leg in the 88 Cuse game, WVU made a two-man switch for the Fiesta Bowl. It moved Bo Orlando to free and brought in another sub at strong. I have always thought that messed up WVU in the secondary much more than if Whitmore’s backup (Timmy Newsome IIRC) would have played instead, and left Bo at strong.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 103,615

That year may have well disruptwd the flow. That was only 1 posision. This year we have problems at LB, S and CB. Our strength and depth is DL.

Play your strength instead of jackwading around trying to fill 2CB, 2S and a LB.

This should have been approached game 1. Too late now to install a full 4 DL package. We got what we got.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports A Few Sunday Thoughts