Big 12 fast tracking expansion

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Big 12 fast tracking expansion

• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated by jeanbeanwvu.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati.

This tells me that media partners have told Big 12 officials that there is value to a 12 team league. Without a marquee team, revenue per team is bound to drop. But perhaps the drop won’t be a precipitous as once feared. Open bidding between Fox, ESPN/ABC, CBS (and maybe one of the streaming giants?) might result in a decent tv deal.

Time to get the heck out

IF this is truly the case, then WVU must convince the ACC to allow us to join!! That’s WVU’s ONLY chance to stay relevant on a national stage!!😞💔I’m hoping this is not true!!

If we’re going to add teams that’s a decent group.  Not a huge fan of BYU, but you can’t win them all I guess.

WVU won’t suddenly drop from the national stage lol.  It’s no different (and probably better) than towards the end of the Big East.  Was it ideal?  No.  But the sky isn’t falling. 

Wonder how involved Luck is behind the scenes?

Why not USF, SMU, Memphis and Boise?

Dump BYU. Add Memphis.

I’m with you, Butler.  BYU presents problems.

And there’s too much Texas influence still – dump Houston and add Boise.

But if the four Jeff names is what floats the media’s boat, then we might have to swallow the horse pill and move on.

With all of that said, and if this has legs, then I’d like to have Gee and Lyons QUIETLY lobbying the ACC or B1G for a home for us under the radar.  If those doors remain closed, then doing all that we can to shore up the Big 12 is the only other option.

WIll add more later, but there is no doubt that WVU is working all angles possible for ACC admission.

Gee is the ACC wild card.

Agree with you. The sky isn’t falling.

And, if the ACC loses the schools that some say may leave, I think the B-12 will be in a better place than what the the ACC would be if that happens.

Dump BYU. Add Memphis.   YES

And there’s too much Texas influence still – dump Houston and add Boise.  NO(add USF instead)

Will add more later, but there is no doubt that WVU is working all angles possible for ACC admission. HOPEFULLY (or even B1G or SEC)

Gee is the ACC wild card. NO DOUBT

I agree with you, unless BYU enters the B-12 as a football member only. Perhaps, if BYU entered the league as a football member only, then Boise State could also be the same. Then, Memphis could enter as the 14th member.

If what it sounds like is true, where the B-12 would be getting a new TV contract, why not go to fourteen schools.

Of course, if the B-12 will be playing under their present contract, stop at twelve, until it’s time for a new contract.

I suspect that ESPN is trying to grease the skids to lose the Longhorn network, and get Oklahoma and Texas into the SEC before 2025.

The sooner Texas leaves the B-12, the sooner they can discard the Longhorn Network that is costing ESPN fifteen million dollars a year.

If that’s the case, and ESPN loses the Longhorn channel that is on going for a lot more years, and are able to restructure the B-12 contract, it will be a huge savings for ESPN.

It’s possible the B-12 schools will receive approximately the same payout as does the ACC, and PAC 12. This isn’t as good as they were receiving, but is still far superior to the alternative.

Now, it’s time to sit and wait and see what transpires,

If BYU was dumped, I’d refer Memphis over Houston. With three Texas schools already in the B-12, Memphis brings new fans, and new state.

Plus Memphis would give the Mountaineers two closer road trips, or one road trip of a shorter distance each year.

It’s unfortunate, if this happens!! That would be the weakest of the Power 5 by far!! NO marquee conference games!! That’s a big negative to the networks!! I wouldn’t see the revenue coming anywhere close to the other Power 5 conferences.

Recruiting would fall off the cliff!! Top athletes don’t want to play weak opponents every week!! They want to showcase their talent against the big boys!! That much more attractive to the NFL scouts!!

The ONLY positive to this is that WVU would have a much better chance of winning the Big 12 championships in football and basketball every year!!

Bottom dweller status here we come!!😞🤦

it’s the travel…for all the other WVU teams…ok so football brings in the most money, it would still do that no matter what conference it’s in or if WVU is independent. this is still about education and the student athletes. WVU needs to go independent or get in the ACC. Gee got the U into this mess.

If what it sounds like is true, where the B-12 would be getting a new TV contract, why not go to fourteen schools.

Of course, if the B-12 will be playing under their present contract, stop at twelve, until it’s time for a new contract.

Absolutely……. go to 14 and force the new contract.   As soon as OUT leaves the old contract will be voided.

it’s the travel…for all the other WVU teams…ok so football brings in the most money, it would still do that no matter what conference it’s in or if WVU is independent. this is still about education and the student athletes. WVU needs to go independent or get in the ACC. Gee got the U into this mess.

That is far from the truth.  Without Gee and Luck, WVU would be in the AAC now.

Absolutely……. go to 14 and force the new contract. As soon as OUT leaves the old contract will be voided.

That is not an automatic. While OU/UT will try every avenue to get the current contract voided, I don’t know of anything in it that says their departure triggers a voiding. And certainly the remaining eight aren’t going to void it – they want to keep the terms intact through 2025.

A big reason you expand to 12 and not 14 is because you have less mouths to feed and thus a bigger revenue slice per school.

Is this ideal? No. Might it be the best option FOR NOW? Absolutely. Should WVU keep working behind closed doors to position itself even better? Of course. And if you don’t think they are and will continue to do so then shame on you. Lyons and Gee are very capable leaders. I think they’ve proven that.

The one thing about the media rights contract that I am unclear on is this: Is the grant of rights voided if the Big 12 adds members while OU and TX are still part of the conference? That could be why this is fast tracked: Add members and force those two to remain until 2025 or pay the penalty fees.

The answer to your question is no.

“Each Member acknowledges and agrees that the Withdrawal of a Member and the payment of the Buyout Amount and implementation of the provisions of these Bylaws does not abrogate the obligations of such Withdrawing Member (as defined below) pursuant to that certain Amended and Restated Grant of Rights Agreement dated effective as of July 1, 2012, or any replacement or extension thereof or other agreement pursuant to which such Member grants the right to telecast some or all of its sporting events to the Conference (a “Grant of Rights Agreement”). The Grant of Rights Agreement which will remain in full force and effect as to such Withdrawing Member and the Withdrawing Member shall continue to be fully bound under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal for the remainder of the term of any Grant of Rights Agreement as if it remained a Member of the Conference, but the Withdrawing Member shall not be entitled to payment of any amounts or any other benefits arising under the Grant of Rights Agreement after Withdrawal.”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Big 12 fast tracking expansion