Big 12 Issues Reprimand to WVU’s Bob Huggins

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Big 12 Issues Reprimand to WVU’s Bob Huggins

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

The Big 12 Conference announces a public reprimand of West Virginia University men’s basketball head coach Bob Huggins for comments regarding officiating following the conclusion of last Saturday’s WVU at Kansas men’s basketball game. His comments are in violation of the Big 12 Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct rules.

“There are proper channels within the Conference structure to handle officiating concerns,” said Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Coach Huggins’ public comments are contrary to the Conference’s Sportsmanship standards.”

WVUinPgh
    WVUinPgh
    Muskets: 140

He can take his Sportmanship standards and shove them right up his backside. It was BS the disparity in that game.

POWVA
    Muskets: 35,260

I doubt that Huggins feels intimidated by this.

Shepherdstown
    Shepherdstown
    Muskets: 22,905

Granted there are proper procedures to handle concerns over the way the game was officiated, but which is more effective?

I would say that Huggs diatribe will be more effective to highlight this problem.

I doubt if any changes will be made, but at least the issue is front and center.

Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets: 6,596

Here is Bob Huggins’ postgame press conference after Saturday’s loss at Kansas, where the Jayhawks took 35 foul shots and the Mountaineers just two.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22484309

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 102,705

Huggs feeling intimidated by B12 reprimand? Hardly. I think more the B12 would not want the exposure to the crappy and possibly biased officiating by it’s officials. I know these officials aren’t “B12” officials, but many of these officiating teams are assigned primarily to B12 games.

The negative exposure that Huggs has brought …. and could bring much more …. isn’t the media exposure something that any conference wants. You would think this is more of the B12 behind closed doors begging Huggs to keep it down….. they will deal with it.

But Huggs intimidated? No Way.

Cuyahoga Falls Eers
    Muskets: 38,905

Huggins is beyond being intimidated at this stage of his life.

7th winning coach in college basketball history didn’t get by being a wuss.

NO officials should give one team a 25-point advantage at the free throw line. That smells to high heavens. Add Higgins and his antipathy toward Huggins and it smells all the way to Mars.

The officials, particularly Higgins, should be investigated. Higgins made himself more important than the game, the players and the coaches. He should be as much a part of the scenery at the backboard and the scoreboard.

NoPittyHere
    Muskets: 27,445

Huggins is beyond being intimidated at this stage of his life.

7th winning coach in college basketball history didn’t get by being a wuss.

NO officials should give one team a 25-point advantage at the free throw line. That smells to high heavens. Add Higgins and his antipathy toward Huggins and it smells all the way to Mars.

The officials, particularly Higgins, should be investigated. Higgins made himself more important than the game, the players and the coaches. He should be as much a part of the scenery at the backboard and the scoreboard.

Amen to that. And from my viewpoint, Higgins should be banned from “officiating” another game that involves Big 12 schools, conference games or not…

Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets: 6,596

Not that Huggs is inviting John Higgins over to his next cookout, I think the one WVU’s coach has a bigger problem with is Jamie Luckie. This goes back even well before last Saturday’s Kansas game, and definitely includes the protracted video review during the NCAA Sweet 16 game last year when Luckie took seven or eight minutes to look at an obvious play, which allowed a very gassed Gonzaga squad to catch it wind and recover.

RipsRevenge
    RipsRevenge
    Muskets: 3,485

I forgot all about the Gonzaga crap.

Arkeer
    Muskets: 15,435

Wonder if the Big 12 would let us know what their process is for incompetent referees?

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 102,705

How do officials put themselves in the situation to be persona non grata of any school? Are their ego’s that big? If so, the NCAA needs to get them out of the system. The best officials are the ones that are invisible.

Txeer80
    Txeer80
    Muskets: 21,370

Another case of the big XII adressing the symptom and not the problem….must take their playbook from the National Criminal Athletic Association

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

Wonder if the Big 12 would let us know what their process is for incompetent referees?

At the end of every year, the league reviews the performance of the officials that it contracted with that year and decides whether or not to renew them for next year.

It should be noted that despite the antipathy toward John Higgins, he is pretty highly rated and thought of. He’s been selected to work eight final Fours in his career.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Big 12 Issues Reprimand to WVU’s Bob Huggins