Brown is a “run-first” coach?

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Brown is a “run-first” coach?

• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated by Eugene Kesner.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Several times in prior game broadcasts, announcers have proclaimed that Neal Brown is a “run-first” coach. Well, I haven’t seen any indication that this preference has translated onto the field. And I like the concept that an effective run game leads to a  better offense overall and more points on the board. I think that looking for a single, simple solution to this is fruitless. Rather, I think all the aspects of the run game need to be overhauled. My suggestion, find an offensive coordinator and offensive line coach with proven histories of having effective run games and give them the authority to reinvent it for WVU. This includes everything from play calling, blocking schemes, QB audibles, conditioning, and coaching the linemen, tight ends, and backs. I would like to see Brown oversee this, but allow the coordinator and coaches to coach, both in practices and play calling during games.

My suggestion, find an offensive coordinator and offensive line coach with proven histories and having effective run games and give them the authority to reinvent it for WVU. This includes everything from play calling, blocking schemes, QB audibles, conditioning, and coaching the linemen, tight ends, and backs.

Absolutely agree.  OC and OL are the first two coaching positions that need upgraded.

I think very few people would disagree with the sentiment of getting a new OC and OL coach. It seems the only one that doesn’t see that is the CEO of the team.

I think very few people would disagree with the sentiment of getting a new OC and OL coach. It seems the only one that doesn’t see that is the CEO of the team.

We don’t know that yet.  NB wouldn’t make that known till the end of the year.

Today the short passing game has been working.  They inexplicably went away from it for a stretch, but it has consistently worked.  TX has been able to run the ball.

We will see, but we are coming up on the end of year 3 and the offense still looks bad and still makes the same mistakes as year 1. My money (if I was a betting man) is, no changes to the offensive staff at years end.

UN-FRIGIN-BELEIVABLE!

WVU offense played well today across the board.  Couple of drops, but no turnovers and penalties were minimal.  Then again, we played a doormat.

Yeah TX is bottom of the league.  Ha! ha! Ha!  Ha ha ha ha ha!  Enjoy the SEC Horn downers

Yes, enjoy all of the horns down no conference to save them. HAHA!

It continues to boggle me that anyone puts any credence into what announcers say. They have no clue about 99.9% of what is going on with the teams they cover. They only get what they are fed by the SID or a few things from the game notes.

So many things they say are simply dead wrong.

Mevin, you are so correct. These bobbleheads get a laundry list of talking points and check them off during the game just to fill time.
    If they did their homework they would know WVU passes [394 times] more than it runs [375 times].
    Rushing yards 113 vs. Passing 264.
    Maybe they were looking at TD’s. 17 run, 16 pass.

Typical ESPiN bobbleheads that are completely obvious to the facts.

Agreed about the announcers. I remember they also said, about halfway through the season, that we had the best O-Line in the Big 12. But no matter what the announcers said, I think we seriously need to see improvement in our running game, especially to take some heat off our QB by keeping the defense from teeing up so much.

Perhaps a doormat that had some of the very best recruiting classes in the B-12.

Other than injuries, like WVU and all football teams have, I have no clue why their record is as low as it is.

What gets me about the announcers seem to concentrate on injuries the other teams have, and not mentioning or hardly mentioning injuries the Mountaineers have.

In the Texas game, the injuries, according to the announcers, that Texas has suffered loomed big in the losses, including in the WVU game.

Every team has injuries, and they are magnified near the end of the season.  Teams such as Texas with very good recruiting should be more able to overcome injuries than teams that don’t get the number of high level recruits.

ESPN announcers love Sark.  They are trying to give him air cover with the Texas base.

“Teams such as Texas with very good recruiting”

Yet another perception, fueled by recycled recruiting rankings that are mere guesses to begin with, that has no basis in reality.

Here’s the ugly truth.  Our OL lacks two high quality tackles.  Millum may grow into that, but he’s a true freshman that needs more experience.

We can run up the middle because we have very good guards and an NFL quality center.  But off tackle and stretch plays to the outside only go well when we catch the defense napping.

Doege’s biggest single issue is poor judgement and panic when under pressure.  Although we have occasionally seen that pressure come from the middle (OK State), more often than not the pressure is coming from rushers overpowering or out maneuvering our tackles.  When Doege has time in the pocket, example Saturday, he can and will pick a defense apart.

More than a Rick Trickett type OL coach which is a rare bird indeed, we need better tackles.

WVfan: I’m not sure how any of the linemen will play out.  All linemen may become very good, but just needs more experience and more time in strength and conditioning.

The Mountaineer line is young, and younger than most defenses they play against.  They may all be better next year, and better still in 2023.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Brown is a “run-first” coach?