Cincinnati and UCF Have Both…

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Cincinnati and UCF Have Both…

• This topic has 57 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated by WVURN.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author

You just gonna keep reposting that?

It will be a surprise to me if the ACC is still in its present form by the end of its media contract.  I think things are going to move quicker than that.  If a school decides to go to court regarding renegotiating team contracts with conferences, it seems likely that a judge or judges will rule that those binding contracts are not so binding due to the rapidly changing media environment.  If that happens, the ACC will cease to exist in its present form because the SEC and B1G will have their pick of ACC schools.  There won’t be much left.  I continue to believe, like others, that the ACC is very vulnerable right now.

IMO, since their actions against the BE that caused it’s demise, my thoughts are if the conference is picked apart by others, it’s pay back time, and so much the better.

If the conference is raided, my hope is that, Miami, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, and Virginia Tech remain, along with Wake Forest, and Duke in the watered down ACC.

when NC, VA, Clemson, and FSU depart the conference. I have no reason to want GA Tech to stay or to depart the conference. Just let the chips fall as they must,

Big 12 just sunk themselves by adding BYU.

Sunk themselves?????  Why?????

Granted, I’m not a BYU fan either, but for different reasons.  I’d much rather have an eastern team than BYU because of travel.  We don’t fit with the goals of BYU as a University.  Sunday games are a problem for BYU at least as we’ve heard.

BUT …… BYU is the biggest brand out there that is available.  More than Cincy, UCF, UH, Memphis …..  any of the  AAC teams.

So just like when your dog is sick, wrap the pill (BYU) in bacon (Cincy, UCF, UH) and he’ll swollow it without thinking.

It will be a surprise to me if the ACC is still in its present form by the end of its media contract.  I think things are going to move quicker than that.  If a school decides to go to court regarding renegotiating team contracts with conferences, it seems likely that a judge or judges will rule that those binding contracts are not so binding due to the rapidly changing media environment.  If that happens, the ACC will cease to exist in its present form because the SEC and B1G will have their pick of ACC schools.  There won’t be much left.  I continue to believe, like others, that the ACC is very vulnerable right now.

e² … I’ve posted the same.  SEC and B1G covet at least 2 each in the ACC and those teams will jump at the money quicker than you can think.  SEC looking at FSU, Clem or even GT or a NC school.  B1G at UVA and UNC, maybe Dookies.

Those teams go and what is left is the old BE.  B12 could go from 12 to 14 or 16 easily by picking off the remaining better teams. VT, Pitt, Cuse (GT if they are still there).  4 of those 5 would be great gets.  I would love to see BC and Criami left in the dust because of what they did to the BE.

What does “brand” have to do with anything?  This thinking is why we are in this position in the first place.

The Big12 is really dysfunctional right now, complaining about the media and then turn around and still listen to them.

Just shows the stupidity going on.   They should care less what the media thinks and do what is right for the conference.  Byu doesn’t do that.  I wouldn’t want ND either. These two schools aint worth a pint of……

You’ve yet to give one single reason that the Big 12 sunk itself by adding BYU.  You can keep making authoritative acertions and snappy quips, but at some point you’ll need some substance.

Ive already mentioned it, if you don’t like or agree with it, too bad

Brand = $$$$$

BYU agreed to add all sports in the B12.  They do bring a national audience because of their Brand.  Like them or not, they bring an audience.  And unlike ND they WANT to be in the B12 and support the B12 in all sports.  ND was looking only for a landing place for their BB team and screw the rest.

Tylerite, you still haven’t given a reason.  All you say is you don’t like them and they aren’t good for the B12.  Why? Specifics?

I can tell you this that the Big White Y on those helmets is very well known. People see that and know who the hell it is be it East Coast, Southwest, Northern Plains and I can tell you the teams in the PAC 12 knows exactly who it is. They drive PAC 12 Teams nuts. The play AZ State this week and unless the Sun Devils make some changes in their offense and defense I expect BYU to pound on them this week. BYU and the Big 12 is a really good fit and it give me a shot to go there and catch WVU and BYU play.

Branding is everything and equates to $$$$ to the athletic department, university, and to the conference. UTOU has a powerful national brand = $$$$$ = a welcome to the SEC.

That is the reason ND is often courted and BYU, while not as big of a brand vs. ND, has a rather large following and influence = $$$$ = a welcome to the Big 12.

A question was posed, “Why Costal?”  Well, just my opinion.  I watch A LOT of college football every week.  (Been a WVU fan since 1954.)  Costal Carolina has a very good football team.  Went undefeated last year, until they lost a close Bowl Game.  Don’t know about their other athletic programs, as I have not researched that.  Yeah, I know the song & dance, inferior competition.  I predict they will go undefeated again this year.  This is a fun team to watch, that’s all I will say here.

SMU to throw more Texas into the pool.  They play well on the hard court too.

Winning helps but it’s still about filling seats, viewers, and the brand. However, if you can get the correct mix, each category can help each other. SMU has tried to connect themselves with the Dallas market in the hope they can siphon interest out of a metro area and establish a noteworthy connection; however, that has been tried by GT, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, TCU with questionable success due to the professional sports dynamics and the transient nature of these areas. In most cases it’s tough for the smaller religious/private schools because of their limited alumni base. USC, ND and in some ways BYU have made it past the void. I believe it’s been proven that Syracuse and Rutgers do not move the needle in the NYC market, which makes sense but somehow was promised early on to the ACC and B1G. I can’t blame SMU for trying to show conferences they can bring the Dallas market into the fold; however, I think they are a blip on Dallas’ radar.

Coastal and UCF are similar in that they both were commuter schools, just like FAU/FIU. Coastal’s market of the Myrtle Beach area is different than UCF’s Orlando though. Myrtle Beach does not sustain an off season market and during the winter time it’s a ghost town where a lot of amenities shut down “for the season”. For work, when I had to travel to Myrtle Beach or “Dirty Myrtle” as they locals call it, I have inquired on local interest of Coastal and most still think it’s a commuter college.

As of right now, the university still heavily subsidizes the athletic department, approx. 77% of their budget comes from the university. A bigger challenge for their public relations: Coastal’s total athletic budget is a little over a quarter of what WVU’s overall budget is and they still require the university to help with 77% of the bills. This nuance might be viewed negatively from the bigger conferences when it seems like everything is about $$$$. Historically, South Carolina does not produce much recruitment inroads vs. neighbors, therefore conference members might not see much value in establishing roots, especially with Clemson and USC skimming off most recruits in a smaller state. Coastal is still a very young university, therefore, I could see it moving up from Sun Belt to maybe Conference USA or if they play their cards right AAC.

Coastal has a very pretty campus and a nice location.  If I lived in the Carolinas and was graduating from high school, I’d definitely be interested in Coastal as a place to continue my education.  Too soon to say about their football program.  They compete for recruits with some big-time schools nearby. I hope they have sustained success in athletics over the next few years.  In the future, Memphis and Coastal might make nice additions to the league.  Right now, I like where WVU and the Big 12 are after adding the four new schools.  But no one can afford to get complacent in the Machiavellian world of major college sports.  It’s a shame, but it’s a war of all against all, and you can trust no one.  Sort of  like politics.  And film noir.

I agree Oldguyeer, It’s like what Shane Lyons said a year-or-so ago, in a nutshell, there should always be a crane in the air. That is the same with conferences, if you are not constantly adapting and changing then you are already left behind. It’s like dog years in college athletics, if you are behind 1 year it equates to 7 years to catch up.

Good points about Coastal. I still think they deserve consideration along with Louisiana and Appy St. Other than Memphis in yhe East they are as good or better than any other prigram out there in FB. And FB drives $$$.

I agree Butlereer, and a lot can happen between today and whenever the next shift happens. UCF seems to have made the right choices along the way in regards to growing and becoming relevant in a very short period of time. Maybe that is a road map to others who have similar characteristics and aspirations.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Cincinnati and UCF Have Both…