2 commits are gone

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports 2 commits are gone

• This topic has 45 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Blaming losing recruits on fans is beyond laughable. These recruits look at the coaching staff, style of play, facilities…. if a kid decommits because of a message board post the coaches didn’t form a good enough bond to keep him.

The elites usually have quality 3 & 4 deep at most every position.They lose recruits that could start for 99% of D1 schools.It doesn’t hurt them nearly as much.

Kevin Kinder
    “What log jam?”

Leddie
    Justin
    jaylen
    Tony

DONT KNOW IF THEY ALL WILL BE BACK, but could see other teams using that as one of their prods to a back that might want less competition!
    And Brown has a tendency to concentrate on one back a lot!

I believe Brown has concentrated on one back due to the lack of any productive logs behind Leddie.  Some of the young guys are great on paper, but they aren’t logs yet

Why are you referring to RBs as “logs”? is this something anyone says?

Butler, it wasn’t a single post.  There are posters on this board that have been critical of the coaching staff, and especially the head coach. and the offensive coordinator almost from day one of the season.

And, if you don’t think opposing coaching staffs won’t use the discord between fans and staff to their advantage, we must be reading different boards.

Also, recruits wouldn’t be aware of perceived faults without it being pointed out by posters.

I personally don’t have a clue whether this staff can or can’t be successful.  I do know the staff is doing things the right way.  I think that when a coach’s primary securer of talent is from the portal, it will eventually catch up to him.

This coach wants to build trust with high school coaches, thus have suppliers of talent.  IMO, this is the only way the Mountaineers can consistently have decent teams.

It wasn’t that many years ago that WVU had such a recruiter that had a pipeline to Florida coaches, thus he was able to get some good FL players to the Mountaineers that would not have normally  considered the Mountaineers.

“ Why are you referring to RBs as “logs”? is this something anyone says?”

Apparently!

I agree.  More elite teams do go three and four deep on their positions without any great drop offs in most positions.

The Mountaineer have a big drop off on the two deep.

WVU must improve their recruiting to maintain the status quo.  Without good recruiting the Mountaineers will continue to fall back behind their peers.

Fan base’s can help recruiting or they can hurt it.   Even how others are treated at games often impact recruiting.  Each or us should consider whether our actions help or hurt the team.

Every team has message boards that say things about coaches, AD’s, players, Administration.  Saying that these kids leave because of the message board posts is just beyond  …..  well, it let’s leave it at that.  You could go on to any message board and see the same things.  Doesn’t matter if it’s Bama, UGA, OU, tOSU, Meatchicken or Oregon.  The message boards criticize anything and everything anybody does.  Every HC, every AD, every position coach, every player and every fan is subject to the ridicule by the fan base on every message board for every team in the country.

So to blame a decommit on the message boards is beyond comprehension.  If these kids were swaying, the position coaches would know about it.  If they had a good enough rapport with these kids they would be able to keep them.  Then again, maybe the kids just used this commit as a springboard to getting the one that they really wanted.  Let’s see where these two go.  Williams to Tenn or another southern team?   He has 29 offers.  Thomas has 14 offers.

Every team loses a few commits every year.  This isn’t abnormal.

” How can you lose something that you never had ? We had a non-binding verbal commitment from 2 17-18 year old kids that have no idea what they want to be when they grow up & no one knows how successful they will be at the next level. These “verbal commitments” are about as solid as a stewed tomato on light bread sandwich. We were just a safe “prom date” for those kids.

Win some, lose some.  For as many as decommit we will flip a few.

Kevin Kinder
    “What log jam?”

Leddie
    Justin
    jaylen
    Tony

DONT KNOW IF THEY ALL WILL BE BACK, but could see other teams using that as one of their prods to a back that might want less competition!
    And Brown has a tendency to concentrate on one back a lot!

Leddie could be back.  IMO he needs to play that extra year even if it means that he will get a masters.    RB’s in the NFL are a dime a dozen.  Not as coveted as they were years ago.

Tony has emerged as a decent backup.

Justin Johnson and Jaylen Anderson are both rated 4* on another site.

All 3 of these guys are FR this year.  And Anderson, 4* on most sites and higher rated of the two new guys is headed for a RS year.

So, loaded?  Don’t know you can say that but we do have 3 very promising FR that could clog up the 2 deep for years if all stay.

No way Leddie comes back, IMO.  Backs have a limited shelf life, and an extra year in college is one they don’t get in the NFL, if indeed they make it there. Another year at WVU is not going to make Leddie more valued by the NFL.

Three backs is not a jam. That is not a considertaion.

And really, recruiting ratings have zero to do with someone’s productivity or potential on the field. If they did, Texas would be 9-1 right now. If you want to use them as some measure of recruiting success, that’s fine, but they have no place in judging what a team actually does on the field.

Mountaineer fans in some respects, I think, have a deeper connection to their teams.I think that is why it is so difficult for some to voice decent with the program. I used to be one those folks.

But, we aren’t in Kansas anymore, metaphorically speaking. The present environment encourages individual goals and ambitions above all else, rather than achievements as a team. I believe that was a cornerstone life lesson that collegiate athletics was supposed to teach.

Oh well, I’ll watch until I can’t anymore.I’ll just turn it off.It is a little scary how easily that is becoming an option

Just pointing out how other coaches can use our current situation at RB against us.  And can see why a good high 3* RB would look at our roster and say that he could be better off in another program.  Most likely lots of people in his hear.

This kid has plenty of options.  29 offers. 17 P5 offers.  Fires visit was to Tennessee last year.  Looks like they may be the leader again.  Tenn has 1 other RB committ, a little lower rated and a smaller back.

Don’t think Leddie will be back.  Also don’t know that he would be drafted in the early rounds.  4th round and later have a significantly smaller chance of staying with a team.

I think whether Leddie Brown will come back or not while be largely determined by Leddie’s perception of his offensive line’s improvement and his assessment of the quarterback situation. It would seem to me, Leddie has unfinished business in college football, but if he gets the attention he deserves from scouts maybe he leaves early. I think Leddie will have more NFL success than Darius Stills.

Leddie will decide to leave and it will be a good choice.  Has nothing more to prove.  He either is or isn’t good enough, I’m not sure.  But if I were him I’d take my shot

Three backs is not a jam. That is not a considertaion.”

It could or it couldn’t be!
    The original premise presented a possible 4 backs that could be around in front of Williams as presented to him by opposing suitors!!
    This was just a possible reason for his defection!
    And without being in his mind, only he knows the reason!

“And really, recruiting ratings have zero to do with someone’s productivity or potential on the field. If they did, Texas would be 9-1 right now. If you want to use them as some measure of recruiting success, that’s fine, but they have no place in judging what a team actually does on the field. “

Not sure what question this is answering?

We can agree that Leddie’s best chance at the NFL may be next year.  And he (and any other player) should take their shot when they can.  But you always have to consider what happens in the long term for these players.  Do they have a real chance of making a living in the NFL?  How many guys make more than a couple years?  At this moment WVU has 19 players in the NFL (Check out Greg’s list in BGN paper edition).  And that spans 9 years with Austin and Geno as the long term players.

Few players make it for more than a cup of coffee stint in the NFL.  Is that short term money worth more in the player’s life span than getting a higher degree going into the work force?  I’ve always …… always been in favor of players getting as much free education as they can.  Finishing their undergrad, then getting their Masters before trying to move on to the next level.  Vast majority of those that opt out for the draft either in the NFL or NBA don’t get drafted at a level that they have a chance of sticking more than a year or two.

Now, there are absolutely the exceptions.  Guys that have exceptional athletic ability that will make a living and be rewarded well.  But for the most part, that is few and far between.  And there is always the option to go back to school if they don’t make it ….. but in reality how many times does this happen.  And the players have to look at what positions are in demand in the NFL.  RB is a high turnover position ….. a commodity if you will.

It’s a little different in BB as the options for players are much more available.  If not the NBA then overseas with multiple leagues around the globe.  Not so for Football.

Lots of things for the FB guys to think about when they have eligibility remaining.  Take you chance now or next year.  What positions are in demand.  How high are they projected in the draft.  What is the competition coming out.    Short term money vs getting into the work force with a higher degree earlier.

My stance on getting as much education as you can for free won’t change.  For the most part it should prove out over the long term that education will be more beneficial.  But then again, I can’t fault someone for taking their shot at something that they love.

Athletes tend to be confident in their abilities.  They think they are good enough. Reality is most are not, but try telling that to a college player who has experienced some success

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports 2 commits are gone