Culver, Tshiebwe on All-Big 12 Preseason Honors List

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Culver, Tshiebwe on All-Big 12 Preseason Honors List

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

West Virginia freshman Oscar Tshiebwe was named the Big 12 preseason freshman of the year in voting by league coaches. Fellow forward Derek Culver was an honorable mention preseason selection.

Udoka Azubuike (Kansas) was named Big 12 Men’s Basketball Preseason Player of the Year while Chris Clarke (Texas Tech) earned Newcomer of the Year and Oscar Tshiebwe (West Virginia) was selected as Freshman of the Year. The honors were voted on by head coaches, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes.

Tshiebwe is the second McDonald’s All-American to enroll at West Virginia as a freshman. He averaged 23.2 points as a senior while leading Kennedy Catholic High School to a 27-3 record and the 6A state title. Tshiebwe is the first Mountaineer picked as the preseason freshman of the year since West Virginia joined the Big 12 in 2012-13.

The preseason poll will be announced on October 17.

Preseason Player of the Year

Udoka Azubuike, Kansas, C, 7-0, 270, Sr., Delta, Nigeria/Potter’s House Christian Academy (Fla.)

Preseason Newcomer of the Year

Chris Clarke, Texas Tech, G, 6-6, 200, Sr., Virginia Beach, Va./Virginia Tech

Preseason Freshman of the Year

Oscar Tshiebwe, West Virginia, F, 6-9, 258, Lubumbashi, Congo/Kennedy Catholic (Pa.)

Preseason All-Big 12 Team

Name, School                                                     Pos.           Ht.              Wt.             Cl.              Hometown/Previous School(s)

Tristan Clark, Baylor                                       F                  6-9             240            Jr.              San Antonio, Texas/Wagner

Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State                     G                 6-5             172              So.              Oshkosh, Wis./North

Udoka Azubuike, Kansas                               C                 7-0             270            Sr.              Delta, Nigeria/Potter’s House Christian Academy (Fla.)

Devon Dotson, Kansas                                   G                 6-2             185             So.              Charlotte, N.C./Providence Day School

Desmond Bane, TCU                                       G                 6-6             215             Sr.              Richmond, Ind./Seton Catholic

Honorable Mention (listed alphabetically by school):

Xavier Sneed (K-State), Kristian Doolittle (Oklahoma), Yor Anei (Oklahoma State), Matt Coleman (Texas), Chris Clarke (Texas Tech), Davide Moretti (Texas Tech), Jahmi’us Ramsey (Texas Tech), Derek Culver (West Virginia)

I think Haley is a dark horse to crack into this list, call me crazy.

"Confidence is a lot of this game or any game. If you don't think you can, you won't. "

- Jerry West

I believe Miles McBride will join Tshiebwe on the All-Freshmen team. Taz Sherman will earn accolades as a sixth man coming off the bench like Jaysean Paige and Tarik Phillips did.

This season has a lot of potential.Can’t wait.

If McBride and Sherman earn such accolades I’d say we will have had a rather successful season.

I’m still in the camp that we need both Gabe to be eligible and Routt to live up to his pre-season hype.  IMO on paper this is the only weakness I see.  Not having that significant backup to Culver/Tshiebwe will be hard to overcome.

Not having that significant backup to Culver/Tshiebwe will be hard to overcome.

If, for some reason, Routt has a terrible senior year, then WVU plays more 3-guard and uses Haley more at the three. Howeve,r i don’t expect that at all. Routt was solid last year, and looks much improved this year. WVU will have three big bodies to use inside, which far exceeds last season’s rotation.

There are very few teams that have three great big men that play in the post. If WVU has any combination of two, it’s in good shape. Three? It’s leading the pack.

Correct with 3 that play in the post isn’t the norm … that is if you’re not including PF’s.  But many have dominate post players along with a number of players that are also dominate PF’s to play along side their post players.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Culver, Tshiebwe on All-Big 12 Preseason Honors List