Dana's biggest achievement wihile at WVU?

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Dana's biggest achievement wihile at WVU?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

I asked this same question on another board.  What’s yours?

For me it was his handling and development of David Sills.  The link has a great story on David.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/from-quarterback-phenom-to-senior-bowl-wide-receiver-the-incredible-journey-of-d

I’d go with a more long view. He transformed WVU’s offense from the zone read run-based system into the spread passing system. Granted, there are a lot of different arcs and threads to this, and categorizing an offense with just a couple of words is always superficial. However, he was able to do so, and make WVU competitive, except against Oklahoma, in the Big 12.

Finding and signing quality JC and transfers. Especially QB.

Getting out of town before getting fired in December 2019

Single handedly increased Red Bull sales in WV by 20%.

Deuce got it right

He did field a competitive team with a darn good offense. However; 8 years of Holgs wore me out. Liked that he got out of town before we had to spend big money to fire him. His leaving was good for him, good for our fans and good for our University.

Beating Clemson so badly in the Orange Bowl his first season that Clemson became the best program in the country by the time he left WVU.

"Confidence is a lot of this game or any game. If you don't think you can, you won't. "

- Jerry West

Thought the other day Dana succeeded within the framework of taking WVU from the Big East to a reasonably  competitive position in the B12 and in doing so accomplished it without significant regulatory or NCAA issues – appearing to run a clean program.  IMO.

Thought the other day Dana succeeded within the framework of taking WVU from the Big East to a reasonably competitive position in the B12 and in doing so accomplished it without significant regulatory or NCAA issues – appearing to run a clean program. IMO.

Agreed, transitioned wvu into the big12.  That was a big accomplishment. That was about it.  Dana learned how to be a HC at wvu and is now in a much better position to succeed.

Getting out of town before getting fired in December 2019

I think one thing people don’t give him enough credit for is the number (and quality) of his players who ended up in the NFL.  Recruits for years to come will see that a path to the NFL can run through WV.  That helps the program immensely.

Dana ran a good clean, reasonably competitive program during his tenure. However, as someone mentioned, he wore me out. His move was good for everyone involved, he had grown stale in Morgantown. Fun offense to watch but the lack of defense drove us all crazy.

There are many things that Dana improved while at WVU.

However, most of them were the result of the move to the Big 12 and the massive increase in conference revenue stream vs what other coaches had to work with here.

The expanded facilities and assistant coaching salaries that Rich demanded? Done with Big 12 monies.

Team room, locker room and weight room expansions? Big 12 funding.

Dana failed to recruit a big time high school QB in his entire tenure. And if you look at every team he had, when we struggled it was mostly due to lack of high level QB play.

Of course, his idea when he got here that he could just outscore everyone and didn’t need defense really blew up in his face. It wasn’t until this year (before major defensive injuries) that this defense had top quality players and depth to play in the Big 12. And only because Gibby turned out to be a tenacious defensive coordinator who wouldn’t let his talent shortcomings get in the way of how to run his defense.

He never once developed his backup QB and had him ready to play when the top guy went down. Only Skyler Howard had any success in a backup role, and really only because he was a tough SOB who refused to fail despite his own shortcomings.

And he treated fundraising and dealing with the media like a trip to the dentist. Even when he finally started to settle in and relax in front of the media, he was a jerk to them. Rather than use them to his benefit, he chose to make them adversaries from day one. And it hurt him.

I think that’s a very succinct, accurate description of DH’s time here.

I think that’s a very succinct, accurate description of DH’s time here.

Agreed.

I think the “mantrip” walk was a nice touch, though I shouldn’t be surprised to find out that he had “help” with that inspiration.

BG said what I was going to say, but did not want to come across as a Troll (Figured I would let someone else like Bill do it!!  LOL)

Dana’s time here the team frequently under achieved and folded near the end most years.    I never felt he had the personality of a Head Coach and many players would openly say that they were at WVU mainly because of the assistant coach that recruited them.   I have lost count of the former players that have openly stated that they had no respect for him and that they never felt he respected them.   As much as may fans dislike Rod or Stew, most of their players never voiced that opinion and in fact many of Rod’s former players speak highly of him.    When Bill speaks of Dana with donors and at fundraisers, there was one instance when a large donor was talking to Dana at a bar, and made an off the cuff comment that Dana did not like and thankfully one of Dana’s MAC handlers was there because Dana drew back and was going to punch the guy (luckily, the donor was not looking and did not see it or it would have been VERY UGLY

Hey Gunny.  You know the relationship between Dana and Bill was strained to say the least.  Any conversation between Dana and Bill supporters could have escalated into a bad scene.  I don’t know that I’d blame Dana for anything that came out of those conversations.

That being said, IMO Dana was still in the learning curve of how to be a HC.  Even this year it showed that he had some deficiencies.  The turnover in coaching staff being IMO the biggest.

The biggest thing that I think he brought back to WVU was developing players for the next level.  Look what we have this year.  At least 5 will go and possibly more.  It’s nice to see that the groundwork was laid for this development even though the last few years we’ve had a collapse on the field at the end of the year.

BG said what I was going to say, but did not want to come across as a Troll (Figured I would let someone else like Bill do it!!  LOL)

Dana’s time here the team frequently under achieved and folded near the end most years.    I never felt he had the personality of a Head Coach and many players would openly say that they were at WVU mainly because of the assistant coach that recruited them.   I have lost count of the former players that have openly stated that they had no respect for him and that they never felt he respected them.   As much as may fans dislike Rod or Stew, most of their players never voiced that opinion and in fact many of Rod’s former players speak highly of him.    When Bill speaks of Dana with donors and at fundraisers, there was one instance when a large donor was talking to Dana at a bar, and made an off the cuff comment that Dana did not like and thankfully one of Dana’s MAC handlers was there because Dana drew back and was going to punch the guy (luckily, the donor was not looking and did not see it or it would have been VERY UGLY

Once again, the question is  what was/is “Dana’s biggest achievement while at WVU?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Dana's biggest achievement wihile at WVU?