Derek Culver Return?

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Derek Culver Return?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  NickyGaspipe .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I’ve started to hear a lot of rumblings that WVU freshman basketball player Derek Culver will return from suspension next week. I haven’t been able to confirm that officially, but have heard that in conversations with people who usually know such things.

Culver was suspended by coach Bob Huggins in mid-November and has not yet played in a game this season. In our interview opportunities prior to practice in the past month, Culver has never been present.

So while I’m not confident enough to say that Culver is definitely returning to the basketball team next week, there are some well-placed rumors making the rounds that he indeed is soon to rejoin the team.

I would doubt that his return would be in time for Sunday’s game against Rhode Island, because it seems more likely he’ll first start practicing, and then eventually will work his way into game action later down the line.

Just wanted to pass that along. Not definite yet, but it seems there’s movement.

I hope he has things worked out. We can really use him to spell Sags. I like Gordon’s hustle but hes still learning how to play the position.

Hope it works out for him this time. Troubled past is usually hard to overcome at the college level.

I don’t know that it is so much of troubled past keeping him out rather than not doing some of the basics in time management since he got to Morgantown.

True, but some of that stems from the same issues on the prep level.

There’s no way to generalize this. People like Jonathan Holton have overcome issues and missteps to become better people and players. Others, as noted, have not. Just no way to predict the outcome of any one person.

When you look at the FB side, there have been a lot of kids with much more baggage that have changed their ways and made a great career at WVU.

Culver, or a very tall young man who looks very much like him, sat in the front row of the stands behind the bench at the Pitt game and followed the team into the locker room after pregame warmups and at halftime. I don’t recall seeing him at earlier home games (have missed only the YSU game), but might be mistaken. Anyhow, I took it as a good sign.

When you look at the FB side, there have been a lot of kids with much more baggage that have changed their ways and made a great career at WVU.

Is that just due to the greater number of FB players than basketball players?

That’s a project that would take a long time and be tough to nail down, starting with who should be included in the calculation to begin with. But, an interesting thought.

Culver coming in could be a shot in the arm needed. But it will take time to get his sea legs. So if the rumors are true look for him to get less than 10 minutes a game.

If he’s a natural post player with years playing the position, I would think that it wouldn’t take long for him to acclimate his game.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Derek Culver Return?