Doege was this teams “most improved player”

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Doege was this teams “most improved player”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Whoever is responsible for making that statement a WVU athletics talking point has no integrity.

What’s even more telling than your labeling… is that CFE and I are on the same page for once – we almost never agree on anything. Nobody who is a pragmatist is calling for Neal Brown to be fired. Rather, we’re calling for Neal Brown to make the right decision. Hire a real offensive coordinator and bench Doege. That is not an unreasonable expectation.

There is nothing to discuss.  You’ve been hammering the boards with the same point all year.  You’re obsessed.  At least I can count on the post every week.

Just like I can count on CFE to post a bunch of nonsense about Neal Brown and start yelling “don’t blame me, it’s the numbers!”.

Hammering the board with the same point every week because it is valid. Until we make a change at quarterback, we will continue to get the same piss poor results. Don’t be mad at me because you cannot disprove my point and are upset about the hard truth.

1) Brown needs to hire a proven offensive coordinator (quarterback coach).
    2) Next year the offensive coordinator needs to have a real quarterback competition (Brown’s relationship with the Doege family is a conflict of interest which precludes him from making an unbiased decision regarding the winner of the quarterback competition).
    3) Doege should be a quality backup – but giving him 85-90% of the reps again is a poor investment with better prospects like Greene, Crowder, and Marchiol on the roster.

Do you think Neal will eventually read here and take it to heart, or that we are unclear on your position?

No, I think reporters who read this forum need to ask the tough questions about the quarterback instead of allowing Neal Brown to feed them excuses and not talk about the elephant in the room – stagnant offense because of poor quarterback play.

I wonder what you’re smoking when you write conflict of interest by playing Doege. Like it or not Doege is the most qualified QB on the team. Behind him is a red shirt Freshman Green, who does not appear to be ready to lead the Mountaineers. Behind him is a true freshman, who has not yet finished his strength training, and is clearly not ready to be a major contributor to the Mountaineer team.

The freshman that many of you want to start games was a three stars player out of high school.

How many three stars QBs begin leading a P-5 team when they’re true freshmen? Can anyone name the number that have been a starter of a P-5 team as a true freshman?

I don’t know this one way or the other, but it’s possible out of necessity, there may have been one start a game, but seriously doubt that any three stars QB was ever selected to lead a P-5 school in the last number of years.

How many three stars QBs begin leading a P-5 team when they’re true freshmen? Can anyone name the number that have been a starter of a P-5 team as a true freshman?

Pat White?   And most teams didn’t recruit him as a QB.

Eugene my issue is our season in reality is over so why not give the guys the time under center and on the field.

It’s not over yet, we can still win these last two games to get to a bowl.

We can win both.  Or lose both.  Or we can get some of our players ready for next season and still win or lose both.

We can win both but reality is we won’t. Maybe but I expect us to playing Kansas to determine which team is the worst team in the Big 12

Pat White was not a true freshman when he began starting games.  He had his full red shirt season to develop, and I can’t remember how many games into his second season before he took over the QB position.

Doc, the season is not over.  The team is still playing for bowl eligibility.  And, bowl eligibility would be good for the team with the extra practices allowed for schools going to bowls.

If the team loses to Texas, their season is essentially over.  So, at that time, it matters little who starts or who plays in the Kansas game.  If that happens, I think that you may see a lot of Crowder, and Greene also if  his upper body injury is healed.

But, if the Mountaineers win against Texas, their most important game of the year will be against Kansas.  So, Doege will get the call and will probably play the entire game.

It appears that Kansas discovered an offense last week, scoring 57 points against Texas.  So, Kansas may no longer be an automatic win.

Claiming that Doege starts because Neal Brown has a relationship with the Doege family is utterly ridiculous.  No coach at that level would play someone who he thought wasn’t the best option because he liked his family.  And did you forget Neal Brown benched Doege in the bowl game last year?  Friendship didn’t seem to matter then.  I put that fact in a previous thread and got no response.  Assume I won’t get one here either Mountani.

(Brown’s relationship with the Doege family is a conflict of interest which precludes him from making an unbiased decision regarding the winner of the quarterback competition).

Every coach that recruits a player has a relationship with their family in some regard. Therefore, following your reasoning, no coach is capable of making unbiased decisions about their players.

No, I think reporters who read this forum need to ask the tough questions about the quarterback instead of allowing Neal Brown to feed them excuses and not talk about the elephant in the room – stagnant offense because of poor quarterback play.

Brown gets asked about QB play in almost every media session.

And whil QB play has been average enough to contribute to several losses, it is far from the only reason, as you refuse to acknowledge.

Loss to KSU had little to do with QB play.  You have to ignore a lot of bad play by special teams, key penalties, and a d that played well till crunch time but failed then to say it was on Doege

The relationship favoritism comes from Neal believing he can turn Jarret into to a repeat of Seth Doege… that is not going to happen here. Seth was a more accurate and efficient quarterback than his younger brother. A fare anology would be if Rodriguez had stayed and tried to force things with Coley White because Pat White was successful.

There are going to be unforeseen fumbles, penalties, etc. That change dynamics within a game and I acknowledge that; but the bottom line is offensively this team has struggled all year with Doege leading the offense. He doesn’t show any passion or fire to try to motivate his teammates on the sidelines, nor on field toughness and his play on the field is every bit as lackluster as his leadership personality.

There has been one game all year in which the offense converted first downs efficiently – Iowa State (I don’t count LIU because they are not a quality opponent); and I’ve explained their ineffective gameplan which paved the way for Doege to have a really good game. Any other year, Kansas State is usually a walkover victory for WVU. The offense has sputtered all season. We scored more than thirty points only twice this season; once against LIU and once against Iowa State (again their poor defensive gameplan allowed this). Doege has accounted for nearly as many turnovers as touchdowns, and his proclivity to being sacked has killed drives all season. He also makes it easier for the defense to key on Leddie Brown during running plays. When a mobile quarterback is in the game it opens things up for Brown because the defense cannot over pursue the running back when the QB is also a threat to tuck the handoff and run/scramble. Neal Brown just doesn’t like a quarterback that scrambles and ad-libs – but the reality is behind our current offensive line, if the quarterback doesn’t scramble and holds on to the ball too long – your giving away sacks a high percentage of the time.

To my knowledge, no one in college football has been sacked more times than Jarret Doege this year; he is the David Carr of college football and what we need is a Michael Vick type player. Doege was sacked, what… like 6 times against Baylor and we put 20 points to their 45 but the game wasn’t really that close. Then Doege gave up 8 sack against Oklahoma State and we put up 3 points. 3 Points!!! The problem with Doege is he only has 3 games all season in which he has not thrown an interception (one being LIU). He leads the BigXII in passing yards during a down year for conference quarterbacks, but will likely barely eclipse the $3K mark. He has more negative rushing yards than any other player in college football and is toward the bottom of TD to Turnover ratio. And as the season goes on we have seen him get worse instead of getting better.

Stop the gaslighting and trying to feed fans garbage. Doege is not a viable QB on any other Power 5 team.

Also, yes Neal Brown had to bench Doege in the bowl game and he should have benched him earlier in the season last year. Then there was all the talk of Jarret being the most improved player on this roster and that has been the biggest crock of ca-ca; he has played on par or worse than last year… he will finish with slightly more passing yards, but a much worse TD to Turnover ratio and even more sacks. Who knows he may even end up getting sacked more times this season than he did during his second season at Bowling Green. This is his 4th or 5th year as a starting quarterback but some of you think his 6th year as a starter will be the magical year when he turns it all around… that’s a lot of wishful thinking and it’s very naive of the Doege defenders. The most improved player has got to be either Dante Stills or Algren Mesidor. Calling Doege a more polished athlete than either of them is what’s ludicrous.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Doege was this teams “most improved player”