Doege was this teams “most improved player”

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Doege was this teams “most improved player”

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Loss to KSU had a lot to do with QB play. Matter of fact, the key swing in momentum started with a bad pass from Doege which was high and behind Winston Wright; what should have been a huge gain at the least – or even a touchdown ended up being an interception because Doege was off target. Doege held the ball too long and threw inaccurate passes throughout the game and the announcers even pointed it out… then to seal any real chance we had at comeback Doege threw one more interception. One cannot be a leader or point their finger at other parts of the game if their play is mediocre to sub-par at best – through the majority of their 5th season as a starting quarterback. Doege knows he has one more season as the de facto starting QB with Neal Brown and Sean Reagan calling the shots and he has taken for granted the ability to be a starting QB; he does not show passion or intensity on the football field, does not play physical or put his body on the line to scratch and claw out yards on every play, and it would seem he doesn’t really care about winning or losing… he’s just happy to be playing football. Now that Greene is hurt this is a moot point, but this team would be peaking right now with Garrett Greene if Neal Brown had the cojones live with the growing pains and go with Garrett Greene early on instead of playing it safe with Jarret Doege the underachieving 5th year senior. That’s by biggest gripe – offense is impotent with Doege, Reagan, and Brown in charge. We need offensive leaders with balls, not neutered cowards who settle for defeat and make up excuses. I don’t see effort or strain from Doege – period. Some people have criticized Skyler Howard or Trickett in the past, but they proved to be willing physical football players and not some overhyped diva because of who their big brother is.

Doege makes a habit of “holding the ball too long.” Doesn’t have a 4-second clock in his head and doesn’t trust receivers in 1-on-1 situations.

The most improved comment was over the off-season.  It clearly didn’t translate to the season.  You’ve posted about that quote at least 12 times, and it doesn’t make the point you seem to think it makes.

Show us the quotes where someone on here said Doege would suddenly be a good p5 QB next year.

Show us the quotes where someone said Doege was a more complete athlete than someone else.

Nice attempt at trying to reframe the logical argument.

Eugene my issue is our season in reality is over so why not give the guys the time under center and on the field.

You may THINK the season is over, or it may be over in your view. But in REALITY, it is not.

Has it come up short of what was hoped for? No question. But that is not a reason to give up.

Also, this idea of playing people to “get them ready for next year” is often flawed. Pay people before they are ready to play, and if they get dominated, it can really hurt them. A WVU DB of a few years ago is a prime example. All the coaches thought he had great tools. He was thrown in as a freshman, got toasted a few times, and never recovered his confidence.

I’m not saying this is the case for everyone. But you cannot just throw guys out there.

To my knowledge, no one in college football has been sacked more times than Jarret Doege this year; he is the David Carr of college football and what we need is a Michael Vick type player. 

Just one of the many errors in your arguments. 22 teams have given up more sacks that WVU. I do not have the time to go to each team and look at individual totals, but I would suspect that a number of QBs have been sacked more than Doege this year.

Also, your statement that HCNB thinks he can make Jarret into Seth is total speculation on your part. He has never made or even hinted at such a thought. Jarret is the best QB WVU has at this point.

Maybe Doege doesn’t trust his receivers in  1-on-1 situations because they haven’t shown themselves to be consistently trustworthy in those situations.  Could he be better?  Sure, so could every other quarterback.  Could also be worse.  Still completes over 2/3 of his attempts.  At least 3 of his interceptions; 2 – tipped by receivers into defenders hands and 1 – receiver slipped on cut.

Winston Wright should have caught that ball.  Absolutely his error

Pat White was not a true freshman when he began starting games.  He had his full red shirt season to develop, and I can’t remember how many games into his second season before he took over the QB position.

Pat played in every game his RFR year.  Took over in the Lvlle game when Bednarik went down game 7.  Started the last 5 games.

BTW, PW career taking a different direction.  Only 1 year as RB coach at USF.  In his second year Jeff Scott brought in Cam Aiken to replace Pat.  Scott and Aiken coached together at Clemson for years.

As a coach:

earlier this season he was in the Charger’s organization in the Diversity Coaching Fellowship Program.  This is a short term program from a few weeks to possibly extended for the year with the team.  Few are extended.  Pat doesn’t show up on any of the Charger’s staff listings.  Where is he now?

We have several contributing factors:

• Doege is not a great quarterback.
      • His efficiency goes down when he’s hurried.
    •  The offenses line is too inconsistence.
      • OSU took advantage of that to keep Doege running for his life.
    • The receivers are improved, however still too hit or miss.
      • Good game bad game.
    • Who else can we start and expect an improvement?
      • Green passing will not get it done and teams can stop him if that’s what they know is coming.
      • The freshman I have not seen enough to know about.
        • Completing pass against Long Island is far easier the a B12 school.
      • People are excited for Nicco to arrive.
      • The chances a true freshmen can come in and start is asking way too much.

I think we need a grad transfer next year to help transition Nicco in.

RATTLER?

Tony, we could only hope.

Just one of the many errors in your arguments. 22 teams have given up more sacks that WVU. I do not have the time to go to each team and look at individual totals, but I would suspect that a number of QBs have been sacked more than Doege this year

It’s not an proven error in my argument if you cannot prove Doege not is among the most sacked individual quarterbacks in college football this year. You mentioned team sacks given up – not individual sacks surrendered. So you did not research that question correctly.

Kevin you’re just as guilty of conjecture to this point as I am, but my job is not to report on sports statistics – yours is… so maybe do your job better rather than posing an argument on message boards without facts to back up your opinion. How many quarterbacks have been sacked more than 25 times this year? How many WVU quarterbacks have been sacked more than 25 times in a single season? How many quarterbacks have thrown less interceptions than Doege this year? How many WVU quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions than Doege in a single year?

Nice job trying to move the goalpost

You said “To my knowledge, no one in college football has been sacked more times than Jarret Doege this year”

He proved your knowledge incorrect

You come back with a different claim “It’s not an proven error in my argument if you cannot prove Doege not is among the most sacked individual quarterbacks in college football this year”

I’ll put my money on Kevin as to having more info on this team and more of an understanding of the ups and downs than anyone here.

There is no chance on earth that he is as guilty of conjecture as you. He has actual, you know, access. For decades.

Poor judgement to attack Kevin Montani.  You lose that every time

We’ll see… Haven’t seen any individual* numbers to refute my point… only team* sacks allowed. Those are two correlative, but not equivalent statistics. I couldn’t find it myself and did quite a bit of numbers digging. One would think Kevin can do better than me 🤷🏻‍♂️ at querying the stats… but Doege is bound to be near the bottom and there’s no running from that.

To date he has not named one Power 5 or FBS quarterback who has been sacked more times than Doege. For the record.

Looks like Sam Howell has been sacked a number more times than Doege at 38. He also has thrown 22 TDs to 8 interceptions and has 717 yards rushing.

You don’t get to spout off a bunch of crap and then get mad someone else didn’t spend time disproving it.  If you want us to take your claims seriously,  you support them.

You still haven’t shown a single quote supporting your other claims in this thread about posts here.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Doege was this teams “most improved player”