Does anyone know

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Does anyone know

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

TonyAlto

Is Marshall game at S. Carolina game still on?

Has OHio U game at Virginia been moved?
    Heard it was to Vanderbilt?

As of 3:45 p.m. on Wednesday the Marshall football game at South Carolina is still on, but there are ongoing talks about that.

Ohio University game against Virginia, which was scheduled to be played in Charlottesville, HAS been moved to Vanderbilt.

To this point, six other Division I games have been postponed or cancelled because of the hurricane, obviously including WVU at N.C. State.

BGDeuce
    BGDeuce

I can’t believe they haven’t cancelled the Marshall-USC game yet. South Carolina already has been declared a federal disaster, and mandatory evacuations are in effect from the coast. I-26 coming out of Charleston is completely turned eastbound all the way to Columbia, US 501 has all four lanes dedicated to leaving the coast.

And all of those people are flooding towards Columbia. If that’s even the right place to go considering the current storm track.

jeanbeanwvu

It’s cancelled!

Butlereer
    Butlereer

As of 3:45 p.m. on Wednesday the Marshall football game at South Carolina is still on, but there are ongoing talks about that.

Ohio University game against Virginia, which was scheduled to be played in Charlottesville, HAS been moved to Vanderbilt.

To this point, six other Division I games have been postponed or cancelled because of the hurricane, obviously including WVU at N.C. State.

I find it odd that UVA/Ohio game can be moved but two P5 teams can’t get a game moved.

That’s a fair question.

I haven’t had time to dive into the reasons that UVA could move the game to Vandy. I would suspect it has something to do with the fact that this is likely a one-off game? Or that there was some existing tie between UVA personnel and at Vandy? (Edit: UVA AD has ties to Vandy)

NC State probably didn’t want to play it anywhere else, and WVU (read: HCDH) only wanted to play on Saturday. That definitely limited the options.

Getting the game in is viewed as critical by UVA as it is a game that could help it get to six wins. Not saying the NC State game wasn’t important to WVU, and it’s lack might be a problem at the end of the year.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

IMO this is a miss by Lyons. He should have pushed hard to have this game played elsewhere. Taking 1 game off the schedule in the eyes of the voters is critical. Especially because this game is a P5 matchup. It would be different if it was a buy-a-win game ala YSU. This could have major implications in the final outcome. What if we go 10-1 with a W over OU in the conference championship to get to 11-1? There will surly be other 12-1 teams and if you don’t think the committee wouldn’t view that extra game as a tie breaker, you need to think again.

Even if we played in any available stadium in the south with few fans, it would be much better than no game at all. We should not have let NCSt cancel the game just to get the insurance money. Get the NCAA to step in and force the decision.

RipsRevenge
    RipsRevenge

No it shouldn’t have been moved to another venue and a bit part is Kevin’s second line.

Things like logistics, finances, buy in from the network all play a big part of saying no, but there is also one of the most important aspects at competing at a high level and that is psychological.

As a coach you not only prepare your team with a game plan but you also prepare them for the venue, for the travel, for many small things that can affect the head.

There are too many variables and this game is not important enough to justify playing at short notice, unless both WVU and NC State were very desperate to have it played.

Lyons made the correct decision.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

We can agree to disagree. If UVA can move their game, why not us? 11 games vs 12 and a possibility of 2 P5 OOC W’s down the drain will hurt us at the end of the season. This may be the best shot we have at a big bowl in the near future.

Ccteam

If VA could pull it off it is possible to change venues. I realize it isn’t easy, and without seeing the contract for the game there is no way to know what complications it might have added. Holding out to see if it should be played hip week may well be the best option at this point.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

As of this morning #2 Clemson is still planning to play their game. Hmmmmmm……. They don’t want voters to miss giving them extra points for only playing 11 games.

mexman

Reading between the lines it seems apparent that Holgorsen told Lyons it’s Saturday, 3:30 in Raleigh or we are not playing. Heck I believe that is nearly a direct quote from one of his press conferences.

And before someone says that Lyons is Dana’s boss I’m pretty sure the HC has a pretty strong voice in such matters particularly when there are no immediate financial implications. My team my call.

Whether that is shortsighted or not we shall see. It did not sound as though NCST was up to travel for a scheduled home game either.

It’s too bad but the timing and uncertainty of the storm’s path made this a tough situation. In hind sight the only logical change would have been to switch to Thursday night but that wild have had to have been called early Saturday and if the storm accelerated by a mere few hours could have been disastrous.

Too many unanswered questions during a short window in which this decision had to be made.

Just my coupe of pesos.

TonyAlto

Mex, a couple of things you mentioned such as

“reading between the lines” and”too many unanswered

questions” raises the question, WHY!?

Dont the fans deserve straight reasons as to what

were the exact reasons for cancelling?

it looks like the real “game” is still being played!

Fooled me once!

You know the rest!

mexman

Don’t really understand your point Tony. Too many ignoring all the factors in play including a school that was staring down a near catastrophic event. Football just doesn’t hold much importance in such a case.

UVA, while under some threat were not facing anything like the Raleigh area was.

Quite frankly it is a bit irritating that some feel they are being cheated and owed an explanation. I just don’t get it.

BGDeuce
    BGDeuce

If VA could pull it off it is possible to change venues. I realize it isn’t easy, and without seeing the contract for the game there is no way to know what complications it might have added. Holding out to see if it should be played hip week may well be the best option at this point.

Lyons addressed this. He said he wasn’t interested in playing a game in front of no fans.

The cost of playing a game in, lets say Orlando, would be cost prohibitive. Both teams have the cost of travel, then there’s the cost of the venue.
    And with ZERO lead time, there would be very little chance of landing a crowd of even 20k

I don’t agree that the University should spend $300,000 traveling to a neutral site game with no sponsorship and no ticket revenue, plus have to split the cost of the venue.

And before you say that it would be on NC State to pay for the venue, that’s not something they’d ever agree to doing just to play a football game.

Why did I choose Orlando? Because I would never agree to move the game to some place that might end up in the path of the storm, even a storm reduced to a Tropical Depression.

So you’re looking at Atlanta, Orlando, Indianapolis, Louisville, Birmingham, Tampa, Jacksonville.
    Atlanta might be best because of the dome situation, but you also have Indy and even Detroit.
    But Orlando has the Citrus Bowl (Camping World Stadium if you want to be persnickety) which doesn’t have any football games scheduled in it until bowl season.

Its easy to sit back and gripe about not getting what we want, but there are tons of moving parts and it costs a lot of money to put on a game, with zero time for the venue or the fans to prepare.

BGDeuce
    BGDeuce

Mex, a couple of things you mentioned such as

“reading between the lines” and”too many unanswered

questions” raises the question, WHY!?

Dont the fans deserve straight reasons as to what

were the exact reasons for cancelling?

it looks like the real “game” is still being played!

Fooled me once!

You know the rest!

The AD is not, and should never be, expected to answer every crackpot conspiracy theory known to man.

TonyAlto

Who  Who is BGDeuce?

RipsRevenge
    RipsRevenge

Who Who is BGDeuce?

Agree. Fans can nitpick the hell out of the decision and the reality the decision was made and an explanation was given.

Who Who is BGDeuce?

Deuce is a long time member of our site, and one who worked for us when circumstances permitted. Check out his post on the Silver Lot for his hurricane experiences.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Does anyone know