Domino’s Falling Now

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Domino’s Falling Now

• This topic has 143 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 144 total)
  • Author

Hes implying we should fire Brown because the coach that followed Brown at Troy didn’t do well.   The rationale being that the only reason that coach didn’t do well is because Brown left him crap talent.   He thinks it’s a gotcha because we say Dana left the cupboard bare.

Doc, just because I disagree with your drunken post does not mean I’m all in on Brown. Don’t put words in my mouth.  I used to enjoy your posts, but something has changed

Following other schools down the change coaches every 3 year rat hole is not what I want or expect from WV.

Vulash you can criticize my post but never ever accuse me of being drunk. I don’t really care if you want to have Brown over for thanksgiving and Christmas. That’s something no one on this board will see. First this season was a Disaster. Our wins were against teams that were as bad as we were. My heart says let’s go mountaineers but my mind says we are in for a long run like this. Next year I see pretty much the same. By the way Bro have a happy thanksgiving

There is no way to consider a bowl season a disaster, although the number of bowls has lessened the prestige of making one. Was this season great? Nope. But still has a chance to be respectable – mch depends on the outcome of this week and the potential bowl.

Also, by definition, the vast majority of wins come over teams that aren’t as good as you are, so that’s not really a criteria by which to evaluate a season, IMO.

If the Mountaineers beat Kansas and manage to win their bowl game, it will be considered “status quo” in my book, pretty much identical to last season. Think of this season as treading water.

Treading water is better than the alternative.

Kevin come on Bro there are so many bowls it’s ridiculous. When I was younger much younger it was an honor to be in a bowl now all you have to pretty much show up. I figure in 15 more year everyone will be in the CFP. Number 1 plays number 136 on down the line similar to the dance. Look I am glad they get a bowl but that’s not even a sure thing. Kevin you have the skills, knowledge, intelligence and experience and are a superb writer. Do me a favor Bro go check how many teams in the 70’s and early 80’s went to bowl games.

No one is questioning that Doc.  But if this team can rise from the ashes of Kansas St to make a bowl, I’m all for it

It’s all about the money.  As long as there are companies willing to put up a few million $$$ to get their name out in front of viewers then the minor bowls will continue to be a draw.  There is always a market somewhere for a game pitting one directional team vs a nondescript team playing in early Dec.

Doc, I don’t agree. Did you believe the same when the Mountaineers entered the B-12 with Dana as coach and failed in his first three years?

The Mountaineers entered the B-12 with several very good players, and in those first three year the team had a losing record.

Did you think then the Mountaineers would be failures because they had a losing record after the first three years in the league?

Dana’t first three years was two seasons of seven wins and six losses. And, one was four wins and eight losses. Both seasons that the team ended seven wins and six losses, the team lost bowl games.

I believe that if Doege returns as QB, and doesn’t receive an injury that causes him to miss games the team will be improved. The line will be stronger and more experienced. The same goes for the defensive backfield. Doege has been improving, and won’t be worse than this year, and I think better.

If Doege leads next year’s team, I think the Mountaineers will win at least two more games.

If the Mountaineers have to depend upon an unproven QB, with another unproven one behind him, I could see next year’s record much like this year’s.

Kevin come on Bro there are so many bowls it’s ridiculous. When I was younger much younger it was an honor to be in a bowl now all you have to pretty much show up. I figure in 15 more year everyone will be in the CFP. Number 1 plays number 136 on down the line similar to the dance. Look I am glad they get a bowl but that’s not even a sure thing. Kevin you have the skills, knowledge, intelligence and experience and are a superb writer. Do me a favor Bro go check how many teams in the 70’s and early 80’s went to bowl games.

Did you not read my sentence where I said there were more bowls now and that it affects that as a season benchmark? I don’t need to go check them; I’m aware and have actually been to many of them. And making a low tier bowl now is, IMO, the lowest benchmark for a reasonable season.

There will be some 50 teams that don’t make bowls, so “just showing up” is not the bar for making one. And it doesn’t matter what happened in the 70s and 80s. That was 40-50 years ago. Things change.

What doesn’t change is the premise of my statement. Making a low level bowl at this point proably means you are an average to mediocre team, with the majority of numbers lying toward the former. Sometimes recrods are deceiving – every 8-4 team isn’t very good and every 6-6 team isn’t terrible.

I will bet you $10,000 right now that in 15 years the CFP will not consist of “every team”.

A couple of points that seem to have been greatly overlooked this season

PowerRankingsGuru.com

http://powerrankingsguru.com/college-football/strength-of-schedule.php

Rates WVU with the 7th toughest slate in the country this year

ESPN FPI has WVU’s schedule 8th toughest

Sagarin rates WVU’s schedule 13th

The second point, only 5 teams in Sagarin Top 30, and six in the Top 40 have a tougher schedule than WVU

Other than Wisconsin with 3 losses, every one of them has at least 4 losses on the season. Every single one.

#9 Wisconsin 8-3 (SOS 8)

#11 Penn State 7-4 (15)

#17 Iowa State 6-5 (14)

#23 Auburn 6-5 (5)

#24 Purdue 7-4 (2)

#29 Arkansas 7-4 (4)

#36 LSU 5-6 (10)

#41 Texas 4-7 (7)

#45 Nebraska 3-8 (3)

#50 West Virginia 5-6 (13)

Certainly WVU has had a disappointment of a season, but does anyone think that there might be a better result having played the 57th schedule (18 NC State) or the 71st schedule (20 Pitt) or the 94th schedule (Cincinnati)?

Well done . . . AGAIN, Deuce.  Of course, you really don’t want to confuse the discussion with facts.

Finish 7-6 and this team is on par with what was predicted by many experts and majority of fan base. Should it have been better? Yes. But it also could have been a lot worse. This team is still a couple years away in my opinion.

Vulash tried to eat Crow but got lashed by the truth.

So, if it’s still .500 or thereabouts in 2 more years, then what will you say? I mean, already, it’s worst 3-year coaching start in WVU football in 40 years. Don’t give me the “cupboard was bare” lie. Not with

2018 roster, last one before Neal Brown, had

Freshman Bryce Ford-Wheaton, wide receiver

Freshman Leddie Brown, running back extraordinaire today

Freshman Jose Chandler-Semedo, linebacker

Sophomore Isaiah Esdale, wide receiver

Sophomore linebacker Dylan Tonkery

Sophomore safety Sean Mahone

Freshman kicker Casey Legg who rarely misses a field goal this season

Freshman Dante Stills defensive lineman

There are coaches who would give their right arm to have those players to build a team around.

What?  I haven’t posted in this thread in days, and definitely didn’t try to eat crow here.

I see you copy and pasted the same garbage from the other thread though.

I’m curious,  do you keep a little folder of .txt files that you just recycle for these posts?  60 posts a week but it’s really just the same 3 posts?

Again, just as the other time you posted this, 8 players does not a team make in college football

No QB. Not one offensive lineman. No tight ends.

One linebacker. One defensive back. One d-lineman,

This is what you call a full cupboard

Enough with your worst in 40 years drivel.

Nehlen had Oliver Luck and Jeff Hostettler

Rich had Rasheed Marshall

Stew had Pat White and Jarrett Brown

Dana had Geno Smith

Brown had Jack Allison and had to bring in emergency transfer replacements.

I can do this every bit as long as you can

Tell me, out of the guys you named above, which of them are locks to be drafted above the 4th round? 2nd round? 1st?

Who is the All American?

I find no comfort in massaging the numbers and saying ,”hey, this season wasn’t that bad after all.”

If we are going to play games.I’d rather play “what if ?”..What if Doege was a step or two faster?….What if Doege finally got that 4 second clock in his head to work?….What if we had another quality runner to spell Brown?…What if Doege tried to play within himself? What if the O-line was a more cohesive unit? What if the defense wasn’t always bailing out the offense?”

Nobody is saying this season is good

The divide comes when people start lobbing heavy criticism without context

Doege isn’t great. He makes bad decisions under pressure and my grandma could run him down from the stands.

But he’s also 11-0 when we have 100 yards rushing as an offense. 100 yards. Un. De. Feated.

At times he looks just awful in games. And there are times during games when he looks flat out stellar.

Neal Brown has made some head scratching decisions in games this year. Time management early in the season was just flat poor.

But he’s also scrapped together a solid second half of the season behind a very inconsistent offensive line.

Coming out if the bye week this team looked like it had a night and day change. And this team is dominating time of possession, becoming very efficient on offense and still finding a way to be productive on defense despite multiple season ending injuries on an already thin defense.

All against what in inarguably one of the toughest schedules in the country.

I texted Kevin during the Maryland game that this team would beat LIU and maybe Kansas.

This season has been very difficult to watch.

But if you really watched, you could see improvement in every group on this team

And areas that make you want to hurl in every game even when we’re winning

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Domino’s Falling Now