Florence robbed WVU of a victory

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Florence robbed WVU of a victory

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Cuyahoga Falls Eers .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Cuyahoga Falls Eers
    Muskets: 32,905

No way that North Carolina State would have beaten the Mountaineers.

4-5 Wake Forest and Wolfpack blew it.

But, more importantly, I’ll be in Section 105 in Mountaineer Field at noon Saturday to watch WVU take on TCU. Here’s hoping.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14
    O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17
    U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence
    N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6
    T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34
    A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22
    I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30
    N ailed Baylor, 58-14
    E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41
    E viscerate TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets: 8,975

Of course, we can never say with 100% certainly what would have happened, but I definitely agree here. This would have been WVU’s best OOC win, and if everything else is close it could be a deciding factor in not only the CFP, but in WVU making a NY6 bowl.

WVUAlumni2003
    Muskets: 5,140

It would have helped a lot, but let’s just keep winning! No way that Final Four group stays the way it is, college football is too crazy.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets: 82,060

Like I posted on 9/15 when the game was cancelled. This will come back to bite us. The one less data point will hurt us in a number of ways. The pundits on ESPiN said it last night. We are #9 in the CFP poll behind WSU and 2L LSU because of one less game. With a good W over a decent ACC team (one that has been ranked) should have put us at least #7 and maybe higher than OU or even UGA.

Even moreso it hurts Will’s numbers in the Heisman race. One less game takes away ??? TD passes ??? passing yards ??? W’s ??? QB rating to offset a bad game at ISU.

Then many of you jabonies chastised me for thinking this way. Oh, Nooooooo….. it won’t hurt us. Just win. Well, If there is only 1 NYD game for the B12 and Bama, Clemson, Domers and either Mich or UGA all get in with 1 L …… And we have 2L’s with OU at 2L (we split the last 2 games) who gets the NYD game bid? Don’t bet the house that it will be WVU. OU media bias will put them in that game. WHY????? they have 1 more W than WVU.

Dropout71
    Muskets: 9,505

Not having an NC State win on the resume hurts WVU’s already tiny playoff chances, that’s true.

But as of today, Grier would be going to New York. Tua, unless he breaks his leg, has an emergency appendectomy or gets arrested, will be a near-unanimous Heisman pick — regardless of Will’s numbers against N.C. State. Because Tua is playing only part-time, this is shaping up as one of those years where the Heisman is about perception and “moments” — not aggregate stats.

If Tua does go down for the season for whatever reason, the winning QB in the WVU-Oklahoma game(s) has the inside track for the Heisman.

The winner of the Big XII title game gets the league’s contract bowl (Sugar Bowl). If its WVU, WVU goes, even if Oklahoma has one more overall win. If WVU beats OU in the regular season but OU wins the league title game, OU goes to the Sugar — and an 11-2 WVU (with Grier as a TV ratings generator) would very likely get a spot in one of the other NY6 bowls.

Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets: 6,596

Admittedly, another win over a Power 5 opponent would help WVU’s resume, especially a victory on the road against a team that has spent time in the top 25.

But here is a positive of not playing that game in Raleigh: how much did the extra open date early in the season help the Mountaineers in terms of rest and injury recovery? Obviously there’s no way to quantify that answer, but teams typically benefit from an open date. Did the unexpected week off on Sept. 15 actually help a WVU squad further down the road? Especially one that has spent much of the fall battling injuries, most on the defensive side?

Just a thought.

Butlereer
    Butlereer

Correct Dropout oh wise sage and soothsayer on the Sugar Bowl. I was just looking it up when you posted. But I wouldn’t bet the house that we would get another NY6 bowl bid if we came up empty in the B12 CC game. At that point it’s all about eyeballs for the minimum spots left.
    Actually it’s 5 games on NYD per and only 2 At Large berths available. Could be more depending on the CFP games. But do you think the B1G would give up one of it’s 3 if Mich doesn’t get into the playoffs? Or even if it does…. tOSU, PSU, Mich St, Wisky ??? they all will be in line for B1G NYD game slots.

Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019

Outback Bowl
    Big Ten vs. SEC Raymond James Stadium
    Tampa, FL 12:00pm ET ESPN2

Citrus Bowl
    Big Ten vs. SEC Camping World Stadium
    Orlando, FL 1:00pm ET ABC

PlayStation Fiesta Bowl
    At-Large vs. At-Large U. of Phoenix Stadium
    Glendale, AZ 1:00pm ET ESPN

Rose Bowl Game
    Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Rose Bowl Stadium
    Pasadena, CA 5:00pm ET ESPN

Allstate Sugar Bowl
    Big 12 vs. SEC Mercedes-Benz Superdome
    New Orleans, LA 8:45pm ET ESPN

Dropout71

The “New Year’s Six” consists of the two playoff semifinals (this year the Cotton and Orange bowls), the Peach Bowl (Dec. 29, the same day as the semis), the Fiesta, Rose,and Sugar (all this year on Jan. 1). Participants in those games are selected by the committee. One of the 12 spots will be taken by UCF or another Group of Five team. The other 11 spots will be filled by the committee.

If WVU goes 10-2 and loses to OU in the league title game, it should finish comfortably within the committee’s top 11 and probably go to the Peach.

The Outback and Citrus are second-tier bowls that happen to be played on Jan. 1. Both games will pit teams from the Big 10 and SEC that were passed over by the committee.

TonyAlto
    Muskets: 18,661

Would Grier play in a bowl game?

Butlereer
    Butlereer

Yeh, bad wording on my part. Old man brain fart, but you get my gest.
    Camping World Bowl here we come…..

Doesn’t the Alamo and Texas bowl pay more? TX, OSU or TCU will snatch up the TX based bowls. Hell, we may be playing in Memphis for all we know.

Dropout71

Again, a conference runner-up 10-2 WVU team will more than likely be slotted into the Peach or Fiesta bowl as a NY6 at-large. If the committee passes over WVU and the league gets no other teams in the NY6, the Alamo (payout $7.975M) would pick, then the Camping World (estimated $5.8M). WVU won’t fall below the Camping World unless it loses at least two more games.

The Alamo could opt to choose the Texas-ISU winner, if one of those teams finishes 9-3, over the Mountaineers in order to sell more tickets, but still might take a 9- or 10-win Mountaineer team in order to get a matchup of more highly ranked teams.

Assuming Grier finishes the regular season in good health, I think he’ll play if we get a decent bowl.

Cuyahoga Falls Eers
    Muskets: 32,905

The only place I’m interested in WVU playing is the Football Final Four or the New Year’s Day Six Bowls. Period.

Grier is a major TV draw, one of the top 3 QBs in America (Alabama and Oklahoma have the other two), so that will help WVU get a better bowl.

But first, as we all know, my alma mater has to beat TCU, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma (and the more convincingly for the eyeball test, the better) and then win the Big 12 title game 8 days after playing the Sooners the first time. Running that gauntlet should be enough to play on New Year’s Day.

Especially when you compare WVU’s opponents to Notre Dame’s opponents. Any team losing a game with the Irish schedule, other than Michigan, should NOT be playing on New Year’s Day.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14
    O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17
    U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence
    N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6
    T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34
    A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22
    I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30
    N ailed Baylor, 58-14
    E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41
    E viscerate TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Florence robbed WVU of a victory