Former WVU Coach Hired at Hawai’i

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Former WVU Coach Hired at Hawai’i

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by Kevin KinderKevin Kinder.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Well, the weather is nice if you can dodge the periodic lava flows.

And that was a big factor for his wife, who hated Pittsburgh. That was one of the biggest reasons he was only there one year.

Haven’t really thought about it a lot, but there have to be so many differences to running program there. That’s one place I could see where having local ties, being a native or long time residence, would be really big, and more important than at some other places.

I wonder how much the weather and the buzz generally surrounding being in the beautiful Pacific helps their recruiting?  I know there has to be some bump because of it, but hell’s bells it is a long damn way from most recruit’s homes.  And Hawai’i  just doesn’t produce that many D1 recruits.  Guess they can mine Samoa for some talent.

I’ve had some conversations about that with a couple of longtime WVU fans who followed recruiting. (RIP, Bill and Frank). We talked about it relation to Florida, Miaim and FSU enjoying some of that same bump, and noted that if it was a huge factor, then Hawaii should be in the national championship race every year.

Your points are spot on, MI. The distance, tough for family to see them play, expense of recruiting, etc. hurts way more than the climate helps. And the climate hasn’t stopped Miami and FSU from their recent precipitous declines.

Out of coaching for 2 years and lands the HC job in Hawaii.  Nice gig if you can get it.  But it’s very expensive to live there.

The Hawaii job doesn’t pay as much as a Power 5 head coaching position, but Graham won’t have to live on Ramen noodles. He will earn $760,000 base salary for the 2020 season and $800,000 annually from 2021 to 2024. The contract is worth a total of $3,960,000 for an average of $792,000 annually.

Hey, I like Ramen noodles!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Former WVU Coach Hired at Hawai’i