Gerard Parker: qualified to be an offensive coordinator at WVU?

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Gerard Parker: qualified to be an offensive coordinator at WVU?

• This topic has 44 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated by catfish.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • Author

https://wvusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/gerad-parker/3921

I don’t really think so… give me one reason Gerad Parker deserves to have the offensive coordinator position at my alma mater?

Performance history at Penn State and Marshall.  Respectable improvement in numbers last year. Enthusiastic, straight-talking coach who appears to connect well with players.

We had several people over the years that was the OC and really shouldn’t of been.

Dawson, Mullen, Magee, etc…

What on earth would be your problem with Calvin Magee ???

He was oc in name only, RRod was the true oc

I don’t think your Calvin MaGee argument will hold much water here… good luck bub 😂

Dawson, Mullen, Parker*… yeah that seems right

Kevin you mention performance improvement at Marshall and Penn State… but tell us was he the offense be coordinator there or merely the wide receivers coach? I agree he is like able and an optimist who connects with recruits, but that doesn’t make him qualified to be our offensive coordinator. With those type of skills he’s better served as an associate coach, recruiter, wide receivers coach, etc. He can do great things on a Bill Stewart type role. Let’s bring back Spavital as offensive coordinator.

Being able to connect with recruits is qualification enough. Recruiting is the name of the game in college athletics.

He had as much experience as most if not all the past offensive coordinators.  Now, maybe he won’t succeed, but saying he wasn’t qualified is just inaccurate.

Tell me why there latinmotto ?

One other way to upgrade the offensive coordinator position without firing Parker: demote Parker to WR coach/associate head coach and bring in someone like Marc Bulger to replace Sean Reagan.

Still no answer?

Tell me why there latinmotto ?

If you are asking about this, I don’t understand the question. Whose latin motto?

One other way to upgrade the offensive coordinator position without firing Parker: demote Parker to WR coach/associate head coach and bring in someone like Marc Bulger to replace Sean Reagan.

In this scenario, who would be the OC?

Also, suggestions to put someone in a major coaching position who has never coached in the past rarely happens, because you don’t jump in at a high level in any job without prior experience. For example, commercial pilots don’t start out flying A380s.

Parker was Penn State’s passing game coordinator. With all the titles around now, it’s difficult to say exactly how much experience he had there, but obviously the Lions threw it and caught it well.

The problem with questions like this one is that they are so open ended that they always leave room for debate. WVU could hire Nick Saban and I could make the case that he only succeeded at Alabama because he had an unlimited budget, and that he isn’t qualified to run a program with fewer resources.

The truth is that at this point there’s not enough data to make this judgement. I was asked for some reasons to support his position at the moment, and I provided them. They can be discounted and argued with. They might end up being totally wrong. However, the point of the question was clearly to say that Parker doesn’t belong. I disagree.

Also, it’s Gerad, not Gerard.

If you are asking about this, I don’t understand the question. Whose latin motto?

MontaniSemperLiberi86

The problem with questions like this one is that they are so open ended that they always leave room for debate. WVU could hire Nick Saban and I could make the case that he only succeeded at Alabama because he had an unlimited budget, and that he isn’t qualified to run a program with fewer resources.

– Agreed.  OC’s at the college level are a dime a dozen.  Everyone knows the spread, how read defenses and hopefully how well their players can execute the various schemes.  It’s like the old saying “It’s not the X’ & O’ but Johnny’s & Joe’s.  Knowing what play to call in a very specific situation is what you’re doing and like everything else experience helps.

The first thing missing here in deciding whether a person is qualified for a position (Offensive Co-ordinator) would be to identify the duties or what the job entails!
    It could be argued that the definition and duties of an “OC” are probably not the same at every University. Or head coach to head coach. Or system to system, ad nauseam!
    It would be hard to believe that an OC would be an acting “Lone Ranger” calling plays on game day that had not previously been discussed and certified in relations to conditions on the field!? Not sure what kind of a silent nod or understanding goes on between Brown and Parker, but there’s no way Parker is going to the playbook and picking plays in a vacuum! By himself!

Just What make someone qualified to be an Offensive Coordinator?

Why do you say he is not?

What qualifies you to criticize him?

A WVU degree?

Being a Season Ticket holder?

I feel he is more qualified to be an Offensive Coordinator than you are to criticize him!

Has Marc Bulger even been in a coaching position?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Gerard Parker: qualified to be an offensive coordinator at WVU?