Gibby's best game for Dana?

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Gibby's best game for Dana?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cuyahoga Falls Eers .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I watched my recording replay of the first half of the Kansas State game after witnessing the contest in person in Mountaineer Field.

I counted SEVEN mistakes by the offense: interception, fumble, dropped passes.

Bill Snyder’s teams have made a living by capitalizing on the other team’s mistakes.

But Kansas State was SCORELESS at halftime because the smaller, faster WVU defenders flew to the ballcarrier, time after time.

I think this was the best job Gibby has done under Dana.

Yes, Kansas State offense is not up to its usual standards. But when has any Big 12 team held another Big 12 team without a touchdown for an entire game, particularly a Big 12 team that is at least in the middle of the pack this season?

That is almost as rare as finding a needle in a haystack.

Grier was right: The defense and offensive line won this game. And had the advantage of maybe the smartest QB in the country in gold and blue. Grier’s ability to pick out the open receiver within 3 seconds is a rare gift.

WVU has a LONG way to go, starting with a dynamo Texas Tech team on the road. But I have a good feeling about this team, barring key injuries.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14
    O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17
    U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence
    N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6
    T errorize Texas Tech
    A nnihilate Kansas
    I ncinerate Iowa State
    N ail Baylor
    E rectile dysfunction Texas
    E lectrify TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets:

I thought WVU’s defense played very well Saturday against Kansas State, but if I had to pick the best performances by a Tony Gibson defense it would have come against better offenses. WVU’s 41-27 over No. 4 Baylor at Mountaineer Field in 2014 or WVU’s 48-17 victory at Texas Tech with Patrick Mahomes are the first two that come to mind.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets:

I’m in on the Texas Tech game. That was a masterful showing.

Can’t quarrel with either response. I’ll just say Kansas State, Baylor and Texas Tech are the best 3. Just like Pat White’s Louisville game was one of the best moments on offense. And Tavon Austin against Oklahoma, of course. And The Major so many times.

I got so enthusiastic because I couldn’t remember a Big 12 game since WVU joined the conference when ANY defense kept the opponent’s offense from scoring a TD. Particularly against a team that is, probably, at least the median team in the Big 12 this year.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

CFE qoute…. “I counted SEVEN mistakes by the offense: interception, fumble, dropped passes.”

First two posessions, INT and Fumble. Then Score, Punt, MISSED FG after a sack.

with 1 int and 1 fumble that leaves 5 dropped passes?

wveer85
    Muskets:

OT, Good to see folks posting on this board.

CFE qoute…. “I counted SEVEN mistakes by the offense: interception, fumble, dropped passes.”

First two posessions, INT and Fumble. Then Score, Punt, MISSED FG after a sack.

with 1 int and 1 fumble that leaves 5 dropped passes?

ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL STATS THERE WERE 3 INTERECEPTIONS AND 1 FUMBLE. THAT’S 4. 3 DROPPED PASSES. THAT’S 7. RIGHT? MY BAD. IN FIRST HALF, THERE WERE 2 OR 3 OVERTHROWS.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

My bad CFE. Thought you were talking 1st half only.
    In the first two drives Will threw up two wounded ducks. I could have made better passes than that. Luckily they were long enough and far enough off target that nobody could get to them.

My bad CFE. Thought you were talking 1st half only.
    In the first two drives Will threw up two wounded ducks. I could have made better passes than that. Luckily they were long enough and far enough off target that nobody could get to them.

HOPEFULLY, BOTH OFFENSE AND DEFENSE WILL BE BETTER AGAINST TEXAS TECH, ALTHOUGH I DON’T KNOW HOW THE DEFENSE CAN DO MUCH BETTER THAN ALLOWING NADA TOUCHDOWN IN A BIG 12 GAME.

T errorize Texas Tech
    A nnihilate Kansas
    I ncinerate Iowa State
    N ail Baylor
    E lectrify TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

robtom
    Muskets:

Gibby is mixing it up well. Standard 3-3-5 and now a 4 man front at times. IMO, to play the bear look on defense, you must have that stud 0 technique. The main reason though is OUR speed. Let’s Go Mountaineers!!

Gibby is mixing it up well. Standard 3-3-5 and now a 4 man front at times. IMO, to play the bear look on defense, you must have that stud 0 technique. The main reason though is OUR speed. Let’s Go Mountaineers!!

The main reason though is OUR speed.

Amen! WVU defense gets to the ball rapidly. They aren’t apprehensive about getting burned. That doesn’t give the offense time to recover from missteps. I love what Gibby has done with this year’s REBUILT defense.

And, of course, what’s not to love about Will Grier and his awesome receiving corps. Speed with Simms. Muscle and focused catches with Sills. 4 guys to pick from on every passing play. Big 12 defensive coordinators are having sleepless nights trying to figure out how to deal with that lethal combination.

T errorize Texas Tech
    A nnihilate Kansas
    I ncinerate Iowa State
    N ail Baylor
    E lectrify TCU
    R eam Oklahoma State
    S laughter Oklahoma

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Gibby's best game for Dana?