Gibson out

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Gibson out

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Lyons said Gibson is no longer with the program and will be paid the $950,000 owed on his contract.

I wish Gibby the best. If he wants to be a head coach he should take that step. He can use his severance to take his time and make a good choice.

950 G’s? How’s he gonna get by?

I hate to see him getting the boot! Gibby was a big part of our program and I wish him nothing but the best! I hope he gets a head coaching job in the near future! Good luck sir! I know lots of people disliked the defense…but his players loved him! Good luck Gibby, once a Mountaineer always a Mountaineer!

Also, if he coaches this year, anything he gets paid is deducted from the amount WVU owes him.

Might be a good commentator in the booth with Tony and Dwight.

Best of luck to Gibson, $950k!  IMO, he never grew beyond the Casteel scheme.

I know some disagree, some I respect. But I thought the 3-3-5 was a smart adaptation to the kind of athletes WV could recruit. WV won’t often go toe to toe with the blue bloods and recruit the guys to beat the Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States and Oklahomas at their own games. But they can recruit the tweeners that can play safety/linebacker hybrids. And their best chance might well be to run a defense that is built more on deception than pure raw talent. So I was and am ok with Gibby scheme.

I think if I were Gibby I’d just sit this year out and reboot.Enjoy life.

Also, if he coaches this year, anything he gets paid is deducted from the amount WVU owes him.

Let’s hope he gets a really goo job.  Gibby was a very good recruiter for us.  I’ve never been a fan of his D scheme.  But I wish him well.  Hope he lands a HC job somewhere.  If Spav did it, Gibby can.

IMO that would be a bad decision.  He needs to keep his feet in the water.  DC somewhere ….. anywhere.  Or even a coach with a good P5 school.  Don’t let the resume get stale.

Well, WV Wesleyan coach just resigned yesterday.

Will they pay $950K?

I know some disagree, some I respect. But I thought the 3-3-5 was a smart adaptation to the kind of athletes WV could recruit. WV won’t often go toe to toe with the blue bloods and recruit the guys to beat the Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States and Oklahomas at their own games. But they can recruit the tweeners that can play safety/linebacker hybrids. And their best chance might well be to run a defense that is built more on deception than pure raw talent. So I was and am ok with Gibby scheme.

Maybe time for a change? I am OK if we never see the 3-3-5 from the Gold and Blue again.

IMO that would be a bad decision. He needs to keep his feet in the water. DC somewhere ….. anywhere. Or even a coach with a good P5 school. Don’t let the resume get stale.

Maybe so

Maybe time for a change? I am OK if we never see the 3-3-5 from the Gold and Blue again.

we heard RR first say we can’t recruit the DL to run another scheme, but Nehlen did pretty well in his years and put out some NFL talent (Fox, Thornton to name 2) So what is the real story?  Coaching limitations, philosophies?

I think it was RR’s philosophy.  Same with the OL.  He needed different personnel to run the power spread.  He wanted more athletic, faster guys on D.  On both sides that gave up the power at the line.  Couldn’t gain or stop first and goal straight ahead.

Gibson has been reported as co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach at NC State, so hopefully that will offset some of the money owed to him.

Without question It won’t be the full $950K of course. Dave Huxtable is the DC at NC State, and made $600K last year.

And, weird how things work out. WVU will be facing him this fall.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Gibson out