Grading The Mountaineers: West Virginia vs. Maryland

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Grading The Mountaineers: West Virginia vs. Maryland

• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated by Hubb25.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Four Mountaineer turnovers doomed their chance of a season-opening road win at Maryland Saturday, as WVU fell to the Terps, 30-24,
    [See the full post at: Grading The Mountaineers: West Virginia vs. Maryland]

JAL

For a long time I have thought Jarret Doege is not a good division 1 QB.  He keeps making the same mistakes and misfires too many short passes.

On short passes did anyone tell him in football unlike basketball you can’t do bounce pass

The running game really wasn’t that bad we just abandoned it in the second half.   After Browns fumble I’m not sure he got another touch other than the one throw to him as he was being tackled.

Offensively  the grade is a D- at QB. C- at offensive line. C for recievers,  and B for the running game(gave up on it too soon).

Defensively F in the 1st quarter and a B throughout.  Cuda been B+ second half except for epic failure in crunch time.

As we say in the Army BLUF…Bottom Line Up Front, we are as good as our QB. Average at best. The Defense was admirable after the 1st qtr, but not as good as last year. The D won’t carry us or keep us in games this year against Big 12 Offenses. Deogie is over his head and if he is the best QB on our roster, it doesn’t matter how much talent is around him. He has hit his ceiling.

I just can’t believe after a year in the system Garrett Green doesn’t give us a better chance.

I’d agree with those grades Greg. Just too much negative to fully process at the moment. Even when we were ahead it felt like TT and UM controlled the game.

Poor (stubborn) play calling by the OC. STOP ASKING DOEGE TO DO THAT WHICH HE CANNOT!!! Huggs stock line comes to mind.

As we say in the Army BLUF…Bottom Line Up Front, we are as good as our QB. Average at best.

Poor (stubborn) play calling by the OC. STOP ASKING DOEGE TO DO THAT WHICH HE CANNOT!!! Huggs stock line comes to mind.

These two sentences say say it best.

Had it not been for 2 or 3 big plays this would have been a smack down of epic proportions.

Again, I lay this L directly on the hands of the Coaching Staff.  Both O and D.

I agree, it’s easy to overreact to a loss and want to burn down the house; however, the game I watched yesterday was pretty miserable. What was supposed to be an experienced offense on paper looked outright lost and provided a mediocre team, like Maryland, to have every opportunity to win. By the stats, we should of lost by a lot more points. That gives credit to WVU but the lack of development and preparedness of the team is worrisome. QB development seems to be the Achilles heel of Brown. Historically, game 1 showcases a team’s jitteriness but this was beyond that. Fundamentals were lost and people were dropping balls, not blocking, mild arm tackling, poor adjustment, etc.

The best judge of a team is game 2/3 but WVU will need to take huge strides. A QB is the center tent pole and what I saw was a mess on several fronts. There were some positives but that made the sting of the huge negatives hurt even more. A tough experience to witness. These are defining moments of leadership with self reflection and adapting or continuing to do the same thing and expect a different result, i.e., definition of insanity.

The 4 turnovers cost the win. The Big plays kept them in it to win it.

The experiment should be over. What ever favor he promised the Doege family should officially end. If you’re going to lose at least lose trying a younger guy.

I have Great Respect for Coach Brown, I feel he is doing the things necessary to build our program back, with that said I believe Mountaineer Nation has to be wondering why we cannot have a true D1 Quarterback? Doege  must be a great young man but cannot throw a deep ball let alone a 15 to 20 yard pass that is either behind the receiver or at their feet. No threat to a deep ball let alone any consistent run game where does this lead us as we move forward? Come on Coach we can’t continue the path were Going!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Grading The Mountaineers: West Virginia vs. Maryland