Grier: Torn ligaments reason for bowl absence

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Grier: Torn ligaments reason for bowl absence

• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated by wveer85.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I wonder why this wasn’t disclosed earlier? It seems like he caught a lot of flack over the decision to skip the bowl game when there may have been a valid reason beyond just being a business decision.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/will-grier-injury-behind-bowl-game-absence/

I am not buying that. I think he’s trying to cover the fact he wasn’t loyal to his team. And maybe that is not coming across well with the pro’s! Not a cut on Will, absolutely loved him being a Mounataineer, but he left his wingman. If Will was hurt it would have been better received by Mountaineer nation if he would have just said that prior to the bowl game. So I still hope he impresses and is selected very high in the draft…but not believing this story. Everyone gets hurt in a season. If he was hurt my apologies for making this statement to Will…

Here’s a more complete account.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20190122/2019-nfl-draft-qb-will-grier-doesnt-hold-back-on-peds-bowl-skip-and-his-arm

Following one late season home game, we did report that he had a big ice bag on his ankle.  But this report seems to indicate it was also in part due to DH’s wishes to get Jack Allison some playing time. I have no idea how much injury vs. that wish played into the decision.

“I actually tore my ankle up in the Texas game,” he said. “Didn’t really put that out to the media. But it was pretty rough the last few games. And Dana (Holgoresen) and I sat down. I was planning on playing for about a week. I was getting treatment and preparing to play and me and Dana sat down and he thought it was best to get Jack Allison some reps. And get some younger guys some reps in the bowl game. He knew how important it was for me to get healthy and chase my dream.”

Not going to doubt Grier’s word on an injury. It does re-set my thinking. If he had to rehab an injury that would be a legitimate reason to miss the bowl game and prepare for Senior Bowl.

Here’s a more complete account. Following one late season home game, we did report that he had a big ice bag on his ankle. But this report seems to indicate it was a also in part due to DH’s wishes to get Jack Allison some playing time. I have no idea how much injury vs. that wish played into the decision. “I actually tore my ankle up in the Texas game,” he said. “Didn’t really put that out to the media. But it was pretty rough the last few games. And Dana (Holgoresen) and I sat down. I was planning on playing for about a week. I was getting treatment and preparing to play and me and Dana sat down and he thought it was best to get Jack Allison some reps. And get some younger guys some reps in the bowl game. He knew how important it was for me to get healthy and chase my dream.”

Even reading Kevin’s addition, I agree with this statement.

“jeanbeanwvu
    I am not buying that. I think he’s trying to cover the fact he wasn’t loyal to his team. And maybe that is not coming across well with the pro’s! Not a cut on Will, absolutely loved him being a Mounataineer, but he left his wingman. If Will was hurt it would have been better received by Mountaineer nation if he would have just said that prior to the bowl game. So I still hope he impresses and is selected very high in the draft…but not believing this story. Everyone gets hurt in a season. If he was hurt my apologies for making this statement to Will…”

Though I’m not unsure enough to attach the potential apology. Why? Because on the slight, extremely, incredibly slight chance this revised history is true, the entire WVU program allowed it to be another deep dividing issue among fans.

If this is true, Shane Lyons and everyone in the AD is complicit in allowing another rift among fans. So, do you believe Shane is that stupid? A legitimate reason is there to quell the fans…many of whom refused to buy tickets to attend the bowl game because Will was sitting it out to protect himself…and it’s not at all mentioned by any of those involved. Especially Will, who was taking tons of heat. The only QB to do this…ever.

No. This is an excuse now that Will is discovering other QB’s are just as desirable to NFL teams and none of them bailed on their team. More than any position, the QB is supposed to be a leader.

I for one believe this story and had mentioned this time and again to my friends.  I figured Grier had got banged up throughout the season and needed to heal up.  The dude took several hits throughout the season.  I figured Dana was not figuring on leaving when he had his talk with Will and wanted to look toward the future.  You get healed up Will, I get to look at what I have for next season, you get healed and get drafted high in the draft, I can identify what we really need to work on filling out this recruiting class.  Plus, no athlete really wants to disclose injuries going into the next phrase of their career.  Especially if it is something minor that can heal up and have little affect on their overall health for next season.  You have to remember, this would be two years in a row that Will would miss games due to injuries at the end of the season.  Not exactly what you want to put out there.  You do not want the “durability” question hanging over your head going into the draft.  Would it really make anyone out there that begrudged Will for missing the bowl game if he went Jennings route and waited until the week of the game to let people know he was banged up and not playing???  Probably not, people on here would still be bitching about how they spent money on a trip to this bowl game and now Will is not playing.  At the end of the day they did the right thing.  They announced early that he was skipping the game to prep for the next phase of his life.  Prep can mean many things, one being, getting healthy.  Will served this University well and I have nothing but good thoughts of this young man.  I will hope he gets drafted early in the draft and I look forward to seeing him play on Sundays.

Grier got banged up in the TX game?  Allison did play a few plays in the next game (TCU) but did not play in the following 2 games.  OKSt & OSU.

https://wvustats.com/sport/football/player/127118

This is a little different that Holgs telling Grier to get better and let’s play some of the other guys.

I am not buying that. I think he’s trying to cover the fact he wasn’t loyal to his team. And maybe that is not coming across well with the pro’s! Not a cut on Will, absolutely loved him being a Mounataineer, but he left his wingman. If Will was hurt it would have been better received by Mountaineer nation if he would have just said that prior to the bowl game. So I still hope he impresses and is selected very high in the draft…but not believing this story. Everyone gets hurt in a season. If he was hurt my apologies for making this statement to Will…

I’m inclined to agree with you.  Torn ligaments in an ankle is a little more than a simple sprain and we all would have noticed a change in his mobility, and even a pronounced limp.  That being said I could be wrong but it’s a little difficult for me to buy.  Y’all will have to make your own decisions on the validity of this, but something sure seems funny about this….when in doubt follow the $$$$$$$$

Riiiiight!

This subject is irrelevant for the most part.  He did not play in the bowl game, nothing to be done about that especially now. The reason he didn’t play doesn’t matter either (once again it’s to late). If people think he is an upstanding young man they will listen to him.  If people want a reason to doubt then they will doubt regardless of why he didn’t play.

Personally, I like to believe in the character the man portrayed since he has been here.  I hope he does well in the draft and goes to a team I don’t mind following.

Shinnston,

you make some good points but I find it hard to blame Lyons or anyone else at WVU other than Holgorsen and/or Grier. And blame might not be the right word — call it “responsible”?

I can’t imagine DH or Grier going to Lyons and discussing this beforehand. The only thing would have been a notification once the decision was made. Lyons isn’t a micromanager, and relations between DH and Lyons weren’t exactly the greatest.

I would guess that the ankle played into the decision. As I noted, I saw a big ice bag on Will’s ankle after one home game. I know it wasn’t Oklahoma – it may have been Baylor or TCU. I don’t recall specifically, but am pretty sure I tweeted about it.

What REALLY bothers me about this is DH, if what Grier says is true, injecting his wants to play someone else into Grier’s decision. If Grier makes a call on his own, while I might not agree with it, that’s ok. But DH trying to do something that he thinks might help him save his job at the expense of a potential win for the program is not.

And while WVU was again unmotivated as team for this game, in part due to DH’s continued message about playing young guys, I still think it would have won if Grier had played. That, to me, is still the bottom line.

Let me just comment on the “spin”.  If Will is seeking to offset the negative narrative of his skipping the bowl because he fears the perception that may or may not create with the various NFL GMs, then I think this new narrative only digs the hole deeper.  After all, the NFL expects its QB to answer the bell on game day and play through pain.  Think on this – they play 16 regular season games + playoffs should they be so lucky.  That’s a LONG haul.  Colleges only play 12 games + a maybe championship game + a bowl game.  And in the case of WVU this year, only 11 games and an ankle that is being walked around on every day is going to prevent answering the bell for a bowl with 3.5 weeks rest?  Still not a good “spin”  IMO.

Torn ligaments?  I would say ‘sprained” or Will Grier would not be playing this Saturday.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Grier: Torn ligaments reason for bowl absence