Hertzel’s Thoughts: A Proposal For Naming The WVU Coliseum

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Hertzel’s Thoughts: A Proposal For Naming The WVU Coliseum

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hertzel’s Thoughts: A Proposal For Naming The WVU Coliseum MORGANTOWN — If you will pardon me for this summer intrusion, I wish to get your attention
    [See the full post at: Hertzel’s Thoughts: A Proposal For Naming The WVU Coliseum]

I do not pretend to speak for those of us who were able to see Jerry play in the old field house, but Bob is absolutely right on this one. No one has sustained greatness like Jerry. No one has remained as humble and loyal to his roots as Jerry. I only wish that this would have happened sooner so more of the generation who sat in the old field house night after night chanting ” pour it on Mounties pour it on” could have been here to enjoy it. I only have one suggestion to add. Every contribution should contain the number “44” whether it be $44 or $44 million.Have the naming ceremony on the 44th day of the year at 4:44 PM.

Nice suggestions!

Maybe there is room for both? Naming rights for the Coliseum and annointing the “Jerry West Court”?

In no way am I saying that honoring Jerry is a bad idea. But is there a way to do both?

Nice suggestions!

Maybe there is room for both? Naming rights for the Coliseum and annointing the “Jerry West Court”?

In no way am I saying that honoring Jerry is a bad idea. But is there a way to do both?

I like the “Jerry West Court” idea and as a permanent name
    whereas the Colosium name should be up for bid every five
    years!

Naming the Coli is big bucks advertising opportunity. 5 to 10 years is the norm for this type of corporate advertising.

The court would be a good way to show our respect to The Logo.

Here’s what Bank One paid for the Diamondbacks rights…. 20 years ago…… PNC Park rights were thought to be in the same range….
    Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal, a sibling publication of The Pittsburgh Business Times, reported that the Diamondbacks’ marketing deal cost Bank One as much as the naming rights — in effect doubling the revenue Arizona gained from the arrangement. Bank One Ballpark, which opened earlier this year, will cost its namesake about $1 million for the 1998 season. But the deal increases each year and will total more than $60 million over 30 years. Another $60 million-plus will be paid by Bank One for exclusive marketing rights.

Granted, this is MLB, but NCAA, P5 has some legs also.

Comcast paid $20 million in 2002 for a 25-year naming rights deal to Maryland’s basketball arena. At the time, that was one of the highest deals for a collegiate property.

Looking at some of the other rights deals, some appear to be doing the court\facility double. For example, UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion, which was named for a donor for the now seeming bargain rate of $1 million, is the home of John and Nell Wooden Court.

Colorado State just closed a $37.7 million 15-year deal with the Public Service Credit Union. Numbers like that make it seem like WVU could get 500-750K per year for a multi-year deal for the Coliseum.

Just start a GoFundMe account. That’ll get you the money you need. From WVU fans everywhere.

There are already several sites that WVU has for giving in a variety of ways. They are all at http://www.mountaineerathleticclub.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Hertzel’s Thoughts: A Proposal For Naming The WVU Coliseum