Huggy, time to take a self look lesson?

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Huggy, time to take a self look lesson?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated by AllenAllen.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

No, not a lesson at looking at yourself.  Take look at a lesson from Bill Self.  At the beginning of the year he had two bigs playing together.  Azubuike and McCormick both starting.  He realized that two bigs clogging the lane an bringing in both defenders was an easy double team for them when his bigs got the ball down low.  He’s rarely playing these two guys together now opting to play a 4 out leaving the lane open for the 1 big.  Of course he does have shooters that can drain 3’s and they move the ball very well around and thru the paint.  And when the big has position a good entry pass gives him room to move without being double teamed.  When the double does come it comes from the outside and the pass out is made to the open man.  When the bigs are out about 10+ ft and are fronted the pass over top is much easier without another player in the paint.

Seems quite simple.

Right now with Culver and Oscar in the paint at the same time it just clogs up any movement.

Basketball is more complicated than that. That’s why it takes a Hall of Fame coach (eventually) like Huggins to try to figure it out. Even the top coaches screw up. It’s a chess match in a constantly changing landscape. You do this and they do that to counter it.

WVU is losing right now because the players have turned into Zombies who are unsure, insecure and making stupid mistakes. Mistakes they were not making in mid-season. Reasons are myriad and I’m not in the lockerroom or at practices so I don’t know the answers. Huggins is trying to find them.

Simplistic solutions don’t work in basketball. It’s a fast and furious game. Players have to think fast … in milliseconds .. while flying down the court or into the air (leaving their feet to defend BEFORE the ball is hot is a common mistake).

I just analyze (a habit from my years of being a sportswriter) and enjoy and cheer for my alma mater. It helps me to sleep better.

Thumbs-up rather than middle-finger will do that. Thumbs-up people live happier and longer lives. Statistically proven. Try it.

Meanwhile, let’s give Texas another 38-point-margin horns down!!!!

No, not a lesson at looking at yourself.  Take look at a lesson from Bill Self.  At the beginning of the year he had two bigs playing together.  Azubuike and McCormick both starting.  He realized that two bigs clogging the lane an bringing in both defenders was an easy double team for them when his bigs got the ball down low.  He’s rarely playing these two guys together now opting to play a 4 out leaving the lane open for the 1 big.  Of course he does have shooters that can drain 3’s and they move the ball very well around and thru the paint.  And when the big has position a good entry pass gives him room to move without being double teamed.  When the double does come it comes from the outside and the pass out is made to the open man.  When the bigs are out about 10+ ft and are fronted the pass over top is much easier without another player in the paint.

Seems quite simple.

Right now with Culver and Oscar in the paint at the same time it just clogs up any movement.

Bill Self has guards on his Kansas team.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Secured By miniOrange