I checked out Terry and Rich at La. Lemon-Monroe

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports I checked out Terry and Rich at La. Lemon-Monroe

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Out of curiosity I watched a short bit of the Louisiana Lemon-Monroe game against LSU tonight.

Both have 4-6 records. Score was 17-7 with LSU ahead, of course.

What struck me was how much head coach Terry Bowden and offensive coordinator Rich Rodriguez have aged.

We all do, of course, but it shocked me.

Rich did a lot for WVU. Terry did a lot for Akron, an impossible place to coach.

Once a Mountaineer always a Mountaineer always applies for me.

Not that I want either to return to WVU. But I appreciate what Rich did at WVU and what Terry’s father did at WVU.

Always.

getting fired at two schools will make you an old man

Getting fired at Auburn and Akron wasn’t necessarily because he was a bad coach.  At Auburn he was 1st 2nd or 3rd in his first 5 seasons.  10 W’s the prior season and 11th in the polls.  Bad start and fighting with the donors did him in.  Chizik won a Natty with Terry’s recruits then went down hill from there.  Gus was fired after 3 seasons of 5th, 3rd and 3rd in the western division.

Akron is a mess now after Terry.  0-12, 1-5. 2-7…….  Should have NEVER fired him.

The perfect storm happened for WVU in those days.

Pat White – All SEC wanted was a CB from him, Trickett said let’s be the next Vick.

Steve Slaton – Ralph Friedgen decided on another OL not RB, door opened.

Owen Schmitt – Had he not sent in tape, he could possibly have been anonymous at Wisconsin River-Falls.

WVU defense had some stellar players too, Casteel found a system that did enough and a strong balance with the 3-3-5 bend but don’t break to give the high octane offense time to rest between gashes.

Best NFL player of them all was the punter/kicker – Pat McAfee

The goat of Pitt game became GOAT of WV professionals that year.  Shame  on “fans” who harassed him.

The true “goat”(not G O A T) was RR for going for a fg in that situation.

Getting fired at Auburn and Akron wasn’t necessarily because he was a bad coach.  At Auburn he was 1st 2nd or 3rd in his first 5 seasons.  10 W’s the prior season and 11th in the polls.  Bad start and fighting with the donors did him in.  Chizik won a Natty with Terry’s recruits then went down hill from there.  Gus was fired after 3 seasons of 5th, 3rd and 3rd in the western division.

Akron is a mess now after Terry.  0-12, 1-5. 2-7…….  Should have NEVER fired him.

LOL!!  You are a master spin doctor, Butler.  You left out the inconvenient truth about ole’ Terry and the U of Auburn president’s daughter.  🙂

Terry’s personal life has little to do with his performance on the field as a HC.  Huge distraction and reason to fire him, yes.  Was he a good HC at Auburn? Yes.

That’s similar to saying Huggs was a bad HC at Cincy because the Pres didn’t like his personal life and fired his arse.

Look at the records and how he handled the programs.

Wasn’t disputing his coaching prowess. Was supplying the reason he was fired while gently ribbing you, Butler. 😎😉

Sexual dalliance has NOTHING to do with Terry’s coaching skills. Just as Rod’s mouth on the way to Michigan had NOTHING to do with his coaching skills while at WVU. 

Point taken.  We’re good.  😎

Sexual dalliance has NOTHING to do with Terry’s coaching skills. Just as Rod’s mouth on the way to Michigan had NOTHING to do with his coaching skills while at WVU. 

RR blew the game plan in his last game in Morgantown.  Some think blowing it was the game plan.

My dad and I when he was alive said that game was thrown so he could get to Michigan sooner. Winning meat he would have to prep for a national title game. Don’t know if it’s true but can’t help feelings

Only an idiot full of hate would think that Rich would lose a game for ANY reason. With an ego that large? So ridiculous to even mention it.

Rich wanted to win that game.  Just pissed down his leg when White got dinged up.

Only an idiot full of hate would think that Rich would lose a game for ANY reason. With an ego that large? So ridiculous to even mention it.

CFE, why such vitriol toward posters with differing opinions?   Don’t be that “Get off my Lawn” old guy.

RR always had visions of $$$$ and the next shot in front of the camera.  There was no way that Meatchicken had not been in contact with RR well before the PITT game.  There was no way that a team like Meatchicken makes this move in less than 2 weeks.

He should have taken the Bama job when it was offered the year before.  Reports were that some of our biggest donors pulled him off the plane on his way to Bama the day before he announced he was staying at WVU.

“On December 7, 2006, Rodriguez received an offer from the University of Alabama to be the next Alabama Crimson Tide head coach. Despite reports that he had agreed in principle to coach at Alabama,[11] which Rodriguez described as totally incorrect,[12][13] on December 8, 2006, Rodriguez announced he would remain as head coach at West Virginia.[14]

If anybody doesn’t think RR’s mind was elsewhere during the game you need to pull your head out of the sand.  Intentionally lose the game?????  Maybe not.  Not giving the game his full attention because he already had a foot out the door?????  That is more believable.  Not giving this game 100% attention.  Not taking PITT serious because they were 17 point dogs.  Not making the right adjustments when $$$$$ are filling your head.   Yes, he blew that game.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports I checked out Terry and Rich at La. Lemon-Monroe