If I told you…

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports If I told you…

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Derek Culver would average 6 pts and we would beat OU and Tech… what would you have said?

I would’ve said….”somebody has got to step up if that’s true”…..pure brilliance on my part

Haha, yea, I guess that’s why it’s called March Madness!!! Let’s Go!!!

I would have said we lose by at least 20 points. Makes theses two games all the more amazing.

Would have said next to zero chance.

Talked with Derek about this a bit after last night’s game. He said that despite some of the turnovers, the team is really working on passing it and taking advantage when he gets more attention. It’s been part of the progression of the offensive development. First it was getting him established in the post, now it’s working off of that.

These two games have been really fun. Even if WVU had lost, the effort, the teamwork, the support – that’s what Mountaineer fans want to see.

I’ve always thought that some of the best wins or moments come when a team is down, and when they are least expected. It’s been a great three days in KC – and that doesn’t even include the BBQ.

The fact that we have different people stepping up to score from one game to the next is what makes this team so promising.  An opponent can’t key on one guy and shut them down when any of the starting five can go for 20+ on a given night.

Depending on what happens with Sags, how well Oscar adjusts to the college game, and how successful this team is at maintaining the chemistry they’re demonstrating right now, next year could be the best WVU team we’ve had under Huggs.

Kevin’s post validates my own observations.  I was asked yesterday afternoon by one of my customers (after the OK win) what I thought was the biggest improvement of the team.  I didn’t even hesitate – passing was my answer.  Yes, hustle, desire, confidence have all contributed to the improvement, but passing now compared to earlier in the season is the signature improvement IMO.

In the old days of my youth John Wooden’s teams were my favorites.  The hallmark of those teams was crisp, accurate multilateral  passes to before scoring.

I have always thought that was a hallmark of good teams and this team is certainly showing that to be true.

If I were told Derek would have only 6 pts in 32 mins my first thought would be did we lose by more than 20?  25?

Owner of my company and I were talking (he’s from the Twinsburg area and has followed a few of our guys).  He asked what the change was.  I thought the biggest change was that we now move without the ball.  Esa/Harris/Sags feet were firmly planted.  Now all of our guys move and we have a PG that can pass it.  McCabe gets the ball to a spot while you are making the cut.  Many times last night he passed the ball off the dribble to the cutter that was just starting to get open.

To further the passing comments… this has been facilitated by guys moving. The fluidity of thenoffense looks unlike anything we’ve seen in quite a while.

The pass to West and then to Haley for the 3 point play was as pretty as anything I recall.

To further the passing comments… this has been facilitated by guys moving. The fluidity of thenoffense looks unlike anything we’ve seen in quite a while.

The pass to West and then to Haley for the 3 point play was as pretty as anything I recall.

Mex, you have to go back to those early 2000’s Beilein teams to see passing like what we’ve seen the last few games. There were some beautiful back door passes last night.

To further the passing comments… this has been facilitated by guys moving. The fluidity of thenoffense looks unlike anything we’ve seen in quite a while. The pass to West and then to Haley for the 3 point play was as pretty as anything I recall.

Mex, you have to go back to those early 2000’s Beilein teams to see passing like what we’ve seen the last few games. There were some beautiful back door passes last night.

There certainly were some beauties on the back side.  I agree – I believe Beilein’s teams were the last really good passing teams for us.

In the old days of my youth John Wooden’s teams were my favorites. The hallmark of those teams was crisp, accurate multilateral passes to before scoring. I have always thought that was a hallmark of good teams and this team is certainly showing that to be true.

I watched the entire run of Wooden’s domination of the game in my own youth.  The old Wizard of Westwood.

To further the passing comments… this has been facilitated by guys moving. The fluidity of thenoffense looks unlike anything we’ve seen in quite a while. The pass to West and then to Haley for the 3 point play was as pretty as anything I recall.

There certainly were some beauties on the back side. I agree – I believe Beilein’s teams were the last really good passing teams for us.

Loved the Beilein teams.  The motion offense, back side cuts, kick outs to the corner.  Those teams knew how to move without the ball and everybody could pass.  Everybody could also shoot it from deep.  Couldn’t rebound worth a damn though.

Fantastic thread. All in accordance with one another.

I think Kevin summed it up best with this comment: “These two games have been really fun. Even if WVU had lost, the effort, the teamwork, the support – that’s what Mountaineer fans want to see.” FUN being the key word.

The only thing I can add to all of the comments is that for the first time during the entire season, I’m PROUD of the TEAM I’ve watched over the course of the past three weeks or so, and am once again enthusiastic about this program’s future as a result.

Like Huggs has said in the last few pressers.  These guys are coachable.   Imagine this.  Kids listen to the coach, does what he says to do, don’t do what they just want to do on their own…….  and what happens?  Instant chemistry and they pull out a few W’s.

Even West is contributing.  He’s hustled more in the last 3 weeks than he’s done in the prior 2 years.  Just amazing how that works.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports If I told you…