It is actually very simple….

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports It is actually very simple….

• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated by mexman.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I Formation (You mean with the QB “Gasp” under center?).  Yes that is exactly what I mean.  True fullback in the game (Like the caveman days as a “OMG” lead blocker?).  Correct you are.  And a double tight end set with 5 Offensive Lineman big as houses, meaner than a nest of rattlesnakes, as well disciplined as a seasoned group of Uncle Sam’s finest, who execute with the confidence that only millions of practice repetitions can bring.

With those aforementioned prerequisites, you then line up and care less if the entire opposing team, coaching staff, broadcast team and every fan in the stands and the national television audience all know exactly what is coming.  Lead Dive, A Gap, #4, coming right into your grill and nothing you can do to stop it before he gets at the minimum a couple of yards.

Until we have those assets in place and can do just that, we will not be a truly good and certainly won’t be anywhere close to a great team.

By the way, I didn’t take the time to do the research but my gut tells me there have not been very many times an I Formation snap was too high and disrupted the timing of the play or went over the quarterback’s head.  Just saying.

For the record, ole Rich Rod, hate him as I still do, was known for his innovative, spread the defense out, create mismatches in space, wide open up-tempo attack.  Well….both of Steve Slaton’s long touchdown runs in the Sugar Bowl vs them Georgia Bulldogs came from….drumroll please….The I Freakin Formation.  Same same on Owen Schmitt’s famous Runaway Beertruck explosion in the Fiesta Bowl vs Oklahoma.

Sure, the missed PI Call and the officiating in General on Saturday was a complete and utter travesty, but that is what you get when you go to Texas.  Always.  It should be expected.  Happens to us every time at least once and usually more.  We all have witnessed the examples.  That being said, you cannot allow the lack of ability to gain 1 single yard cost you Football Games.  NOT EVER!!!!

“For the want of a nail”!????

How about,
    The QB lining up behind a guard for h snap!
    Confused?
    Only the QB is a blocking lineman!
    Direct snap back to Leddie .
    Follows QB into double teams on a tackle!
    TD!?
    Or

Borrow Culver or Tshiebie off the BB team.
    Line them up at tight end and close slot.
    QB under enter.
    Little lob to one a yard across the line.
    Try stopping that!

Almost everything posted the last couple days. …..  Almost everything …..  posted says that the chuck into the end zone on BOTH 4-1’s were the wrong calls.  That throw is something that is a low probability in the Doege bag of tricks.  He is extremely accurate in other parts of the game.  So why call that type of a play when all you need is 1 yd?

I put this on Parker.  Both times on Parker.

Thus illustrating that crowd-sourced content is not always correct.

WVU has done well with slant routes and quick in routes. It has done well with throws to the TE, which the same crowd is always screaming for. Had WVU run it inside (which it usually does better than anything else) and gotten stuffed, the exact same people would have been yelling that it hadn’t worked all day.

Yep, Crowd sourced content is EXACTLY what you say WVU does well…… slant routes and quick in routs along with throws to the TE.  NOT chucking it into the end zone from 16 and 8 yds out.  Pair that with the run fake in the A gap with Leddie and you have at least a better chance.

Have to disagree with you Kevin.  Both throws into the end zone were the lowest probability in the Doege playbook.

Interesting that many think that Leddie wouldn’t make 1 yd on either 4th and 1.  He had runs of 0,1,12,3,5,4,3,1,5,3,1,9,-4,2 ….  And the -4 was the fumble.  What makes you think that with TWO tries at 1 yd he wouldn’t get either?  Even with a gimpy leg?  That gimpy leg gave him only 1 rush that ended with negative yds.  ONLY ONE and that was a fumble.

So your crowd sourcing content doesn’t hold up here.  Facts are that Parker chose one of the lowest % plays in the Doege playbook.

Sad to me, that here we are dissecting all the possible ways, formations, plays and data on how to gain One Single Yard!

Which is actually the point of my post in the first place.  It is a yard we are talking about.  Thirty six inches.

I am not dropping it is HCNB’s lap entirely.  Heck, the Hair Meister certainly could not accomplish it either.

Yet I stick to my point.  It is less about the playcalling or design and so drastically much more about our lack of a mash you right in the mouth when we need to offensive line.

One thing has struck me the very most, and should not have been a surprise to anyone.  When Holgy boy left, we were as depleted talent wise as we have been in a very long, long time.  Coach Brown realized this immediately and warned everyone as best he could without publicly saying…”We just ain’t got no Jimmies and Joe’s.”  Thus the Trust The Climb mantra.

I don’t think you can list Leddies runs and extrapolate that to these 4th downs given that the defense on 4th and 1 is VERY different than on those other runs.   Look at the NFL, 3.2 ypc is considered very low, but teams have a very hard time running on “and 1” downs.

Also I wouldnt categorize an 8 yard throw over the middle as chucking it, or as a low percentage play.  In fact,  take away the PI and its a TD.  Those are exactly the throws Doege does well.   The first from 16 out  I agree was low percentage.

First, a stacked box in the red zone is a FAR different animal than a stacked box between the 20’s.  Things are very compressed down in that 4th and 1 field position we had and the combat on the line is brutal.  NB himself said that those behemoths on the TX DL were manhandling our interior OL.  The passing route trees are also very compressed with most of the route tree being off the table down on that end of the field.

So, with the scene set, what are the options?  Run or pass.  And if pass, what type of pass?  We saw what we chose each of those two occasions and the one with the best chance of success, though still a low percentage route in compressed space, was the last one.  It came within a whisker and blatant hold on the WRs arm of being a TD.

But some say if we chose to pass, fake Leddie into the A gap and then throw a quick slant, hoping to draw the LBs up to the line and opening up the middle.  But see above about the behemoths – they might have gotten to Doege while he was executing the fake or as happened twice before in the game, batted his pass down at the line.

Rather than either pass route we chose, I’d have far more liked to have seen either a) the quick out pass (no fake to be executed) or b) roll Doege to the right and hit a slot receiver on a short hook pattern.  Both of these would have been a higher percentage throw than what we did do.

My biggest issue is with the TYPE of passes called in those instances. Touch passes to the corners of end zone. Not as though we are any good at that. You’d think that the element of surprise given out dismal success in such plays would have been better.

For all the excellent play calls and solid game plan for UT out short yardage stuff was hard to watch and more difficult to figure out why.

All that said I enjoyed the manner in which Doege managed a game in which the run was taken away. Kudos to he and the play callers for all but the critical plays.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports It is actually very simple….