Jarret Doege Turns Boos To Cheers With Performance Against Texas

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Jarret Doege Turns Boos To Cheers With Performance Against Texas

• This topic has 39 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated by catfish.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

I have reached the point where I no longer really care. If they get the bowl game here of Tucson I will be there.

So if you don’t care, why will you be there?

I’d like to know why Austin Kendall walked after he saved the team in the Liberty Bowl win v Army.  Despite his slow start under Brown, he was the only other QB w experience in the qb room and the red flags over Doege’s play were flapping in the wind high above Puskar Stadium well before Army game.  I would’ve hoped the message to Kendall (a 4 star qb recruit in a long line of potential OU Heisman candidates) was that the qb competition is wide open and yours to win.   my gut tells me Doege was Brown’s pick from the start and the writing was on wall.    Help me understand why inexperience is the only backup to Doege,  thanks

Now that is a question that has been quietly dwelling in the back of my mind ever since Austin entered the portal.  Any insight to that, Kevin?

Of course, Austin had his issues too, which many might forget.  Jared DID replace him as the starter.

People were calling for Kendall’s head when he was QB1.  How quickly some forget.  The consensus was Doege would be better.  Now many want Doege’s head.  The beat goes on and on and on.

#2 QB on a struggling team is always the darling.

I’d like to know why Austin Kendall walked after he saved the team in the Liberty Bowl win v Army.  Despite his slow start under Brown, he was the only other QB w experience in the qb room and the red flags over Doege’s play were flapping in the wind high above Puskar Stadium well before Army game.  I would’ve hoped the message to Kendall (a 4 star qb recruit in a long line of potential OU Heisman candidates) was that the qb competition is wide open and yours to win.   my gut tells me Doege was Brown’s pick from the start and the writing was on wall.    Help me understand why inexperience is the only backup to Doege,  thanks

He did not get a guarantee that he’d be the starter in 2021. Had he lit it up in the spring, I don’t think anything would have kept him from being the starter vs. Maryland. I know there’s a narrative out there that HCNB is tied to Doege from the start, but if that’s the case, why did he get pulled in the bowl? Why didn’t he start all four games in is 2019 RS year? Answer: There was no such conspiracy.

IMO, he also saw that he and Doege were pretty close in terms of accuracy and mobility, and he probably knew he wasn’t going to win the job outright. Look at his numbers at La Tech this year for comparison’s sake.

So, he decided to transfer. I would also point out that the citing of star ratings as a recruit means absolutely nothing in this evaluation, or in comparing players once they are in college.

Yeah, with Kendall ripping it up at La Tech he’s clearly made a case that we made a mistake

Something I just learned between Doege and Kendall. First, Kendall, at this point in time Kendall is rated 81st best QB with a QB rating of 55.1.

Until today, I had no clue how Doege ranked. NFL scouts rank Doege as the third best QB in the B-12, and is ranked as the 27th best QB in the nation, which surprised me.

Some scouts believe that with a decent year in 2022, he will get a look by NFL teams.

With all the criticism he’s receiving from Mountaineer fans, I didn’t have a clue that he was ranked third in the league, and 27th in the country

Maybe when Doege wasn’t being all world ,(in your eyes), he was making game changing mistakes.I don’t have the time to document those mistakes here, but Doege had critical mental game changing errors in every loss this season.

That’s not the play of a seasoned 5th year leader.

Who here can honestly say that Greene would have been so much worse?

Coach Brown, whose job depends on it, chose Doege.  Good enough for me

“With Kendall ripping it up at Louisiana Tech”?

NINE interceptions and 13 touchdown passes in 2021.

3-8 season record, 2-5 and 5th in 7-team West division of conference whose division leaders are Western Kentucky and Texas-San Antonio?

You must be a Marshall fan. The Herd is 2nd in one division of the nothing conference. 

Even Doege would be “ripping it up in that conference.” 

Coach Brown, whose job depends on it, chose Doege.  Good enough for me

Coaches get let go every year whose job depended on their decisions.

Doege has been at WVU for just two years of play. He played four games in 2019, and a shortened season last year and eleven games this year. For those schools that go to bowl games, two years equals 26 games. At this point in time Doege has played 25 games at WVU.

I know that he was a transfer in, so I don’t know the number of games he played there, or how good of competition he faced.

I would think there would be a much bigger task playing against B-12 schools than it would playing against MAC teams

Note: I have never reflected that Doege was all world. I continually have said that Doege is the Mountaineers best option at QB. I have always said that since Brown’s job is about wins and losses, and it’s obvious to most that Brown will play who he believes has the best chance to win the game for the Mountaineers.

And, the coaches are the only ones who see the players up close and personal. If the coaches believed that a QB change was needed, there would be a change.

As far of the article that I read saying the NFL believes that Doege is the third best QB in the B-12, that’s not my thoughts. I had no clue that anyone would consider Doege is the third best QB

Something I just learned between Doege and Kendall. First, Kendall, at this point in time Kendall is rated 81st best QB with a QB rating of 55.1.

Until today, I had no clue how Doege ranked. NFL scouts rank Doege as the third best QB in the B-12, and is ranked as the 27th best QB in the nation, which surprised me.

Some scouts believe that with a decent year in 2022, he will get a look by NFL teams.

With all the criticism he’s receiving from Mountaineer fans, I didn’t have a clue that he was ranked third in the league, and 27th in the country

Most lay the blame of at least 4L’s on Doege.   Few give complete credit for 5W’s to him.  Criticism of his lack of mobility  is noted …. and deserved.  Same with his decision making while under pressure.  Along with his down field accuracy.  Mobility won’t change.  Decision making is improving.  Made a few down field passes lately.

That being said, I STILL lay most of the L’s blame on the coaches.  Put together a game plan that Doege can execute and we have a chance of winning almost every game.  Ask Jarrett to do things that are outside of his capabilities and we have problems.  Unfortunately our coaches haven’t learned that lesson yet.

Until coaches either change their approach or Brown changes coaches we will end up in the same predicament next year.

My point is your choice of QB 1 doesn’t carry the weight of potentially losing your  job Catfish.  Not every coach makes the right choice, or they have no good options, but they get to choose.  I think Brown has made the best choice he has.

Ccteam, absolutely agree.

Coaches who have any common sense don’t look at the QBs on his team and thinks: QB A is my best opportunity to win the game, but all fans want me to bench QB A, and play QB B.

I think I’ll listen to the fans and start QB B to show them they’re wrong.

I certainly doubt that any major coaches would listen to fans over what they sees with his own eyes.

“With Kendall ripping it up at Louisiana Tech”?

NINE interceptions and 13 touchdown passes in 2021.

3-8 season record, 2-5 and 5th in 7-team West division of conference whose division leaders are Western Kentucky and Texas-San Antonio?

You must be a Marshall fan. The Herd is 2nd in one division of the nothing conference.

Even Doege would be “ripping it up in that conference.”

Not at all surprising that you don’t get the point.

Kendall benched at Louisiana Tech for consistent poor play.

But yeah, he should be starting here.

You’re really bad at this

Not sure what Marshall, who wasn’t mentioned and didn’t play Tech this year has to do with anything. But keep swinging. And missing.

One note on QB ratings. There are at least 3-4 systems I am aware of, one that the NFL uses, and another that the NCAA uses. There are also others that different services and analysts use, a number of which I would view with great suspicion. comparing how those ratings are arrived at can show very different pictures, IMO.

Thanks for providing the rating – I admit I don’t look at those metrics often, because I think they don’t take into account a lot of intangibles. For instance, one really emphasizes TD passes, which I mostly don’t care about as long as the offense is getting into the end zone.

Also, as others point out, just a couple of critical mistakes can make the difference in a game, and offset many of those good metrics. (Will Grier Oklahoma 2018 anyone?)

Eugene …..that is not at all the logic I was trying to imply.That would be a childish approach to say the least.

Ccteam…..I don’t think Coach Brown is going anywhere, at least not in the short term.Yes, Doege, although not the most talented QB in the rotation, IMO, had the most experience.

To run Greene in for one series and jerk him for a mistake was unfair, also my opinion.In the meantime Doege couldn’t get out of his own way.Yet, was allowed to continue to play on.

It just was not an equal evaluation of performance in my mind.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Jarret Doege Turns Boos To Cheers With Performance Against Texas