Keeping Perspective: Plenty To Work With For WVU Following Baylor Loss

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Keeping Perspective: Plenty To Work With For WVU Following Baylor Loss

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. — With any close loss comes the search for reasons which contributed to the defeat. Coaches do it. Fans do it. Players, in their o
    [See the full post at: Keeping Perspective: Plenty To Work With For WVU Following Baylor Loss]

Superb analysis, Kevin. Bill Evans couldn’t have done a better job. Or Mickey Furfari, my lifelong friend who called me every month to chat till he passed away. 

Can’t let this loss bleed over to next games.

Derek with 8 total shots.  3 misses, 5 for fouls.  Only in the 1/2 OKlahoma game did he get that low amount of shots.  This is completely out of character for a Huggs team.  Derek needs to handle the ball much more than that.  His presence in the lane opens up everything outside.  He averages 11 shots/gm without the addition of the times he’s fouled.   I don’t think it was part of the game plan as Huggs eluded to not getting Derek the ball a few times in his pressers.

How many times did DC get fouled before he could even make a move to the basket and we weren’t yet in the bonus? Could have been zero, I don’t know, did not keep track. But I know he had more than 11 touches.  Some of those “additional” touches likely resulted in passes by DC, fouls on him even when he was away from the basket, and he also had 3 turnovers.  Good strategy by Baylor.  One that worked, based on the outcome, one that would have failed if some other things had been done correctly that would have resulted in a different outcome.

JAL

Very good.  I  have told others that to make the mistakes they did and still be so close to winning the game says a lot about how good this team is in many ways.

The problem was that Baylor double-teamed Derek, sometimes 3 were in the way even while 1 was “guarding” another Mountaineer, so WVU guards didn’t see Derek open. So he came to the 3 line to get the ball handed to him, which is too far away from the basket for Derek to be effective. Clever plan by Baylor’s sharp coach. WVU ALWAYS does better when it can feed Derek within 10 feet of the basket, let him do it 3-step right, left, right and left-hand layup to the basket. Huggins will drill it into the other 4 guys’ head to figure out how to get the ball in the paint to Derek. He’s lethal when they do, and stacks up personal fouls on the opponents, usually fouling 1 of them out by the end of the game. Baylor was clever. Baylor was talented. So is WVU.  The Mountaineers have the best coach in their history and the most cohesive team in several years. If they don’t, as Huggins warned, let the Baylor loss cause a second loss, all will be well. I’m glad TCU is next and not Oklahoma State. If Huggins Heroes stay tough and relentless against the Horny Frogs and win, then they will have had 4 days from the Baylor game to handle the Cowboys, who are not a team to meet without being at your best, as Oklahoma learned. I can’t wait for TCU and Oklahoma State and the Big 12 tournament and March Madness. This is the most entertaining and inspiring WVU team in years! 

According to one analysis, DC drew 9.6 fouls in the Baylor game. I don’t know how those are tracked, or how you get into tenths of fouls (maybe off a dish from another player who also gets credit for helping draw it?) It might all be computer analysis too. I’ll see what I can find out.

But, without question, DC had more than 11 touches. There’s good analysis and thoughts here on the causes and effects of those. I’d add that Baylor is probably the strongest team physically in the league. Their swing guys like Vital and Teague can stand up to Culver and battle him on equal footing. And, like in Press Virginia days, refs aren’t going to call all of the fouls they commit.

Where did the .6 come from?

“I don’t know how those are tracked, or how you get into tenths of fouls (maybe off a dish from another player who also gets credit for helping draw it?) It might all be computer analysis too. I’ll see what I can find out.”

I worry about the TCU game.  We should win by double digits, but playing a game against a team you should beat after a heart-breaking loss is, well, you know, a perfect scenario for an upset.  We can afford a loss to Baylor, but we need to win the next two games.  No time for pouting.

The Big 12 is the toughest and best basketball conference in the nation, despite the too-early national anointment of the Big 10 as such.

KK, that line from the article piqued my curiosity a bit.  Could not help myself from doing the following.  Best out of conference wins (or losses) by B10 teams this season.

Michigan.  Beat Toledo at home.  Toledo is projected as a 12 seed by Lunardi because they are in 1st place in the MAC and somebody from the MAC is going to the NCAA.

Illinois.  Beat Duke at Duke.  Duke currently projected as out.  Lost to both Baylor and Missouri by double digits.

Iowa.  Beat NC at home who is currently projected at a 10 seed.  Lost to Gonzaga by 11.  Was behind by 18 in the 1st half and 20 in the 2nd half against Gonzaga.

Purdue.  Lost to Clemson at home and at Miami of Florida.  Beat ND in Indy.

OSU.  Beat ND at ND by 5.  Beat UCLA by 7 in Cleveland.  UCLA currently projected as a 9 seed.

Wisconsin.  Beat Louisville at home in Louisville’s 1st game back from an almost 3 week covid shutdown.  Lost at Marquette.

Maryland.  Beat Navy at home.  Lost at Clemson.  Navy currently projected as a 14 seed.  Clemson projected as a 7 seed.

Rutgers.  Beat Syracuse at home.  Syracuse currently projected as out.

Michigan State.  Beat ND at home and beat Duke at Duke.

All of the above B10 teams are projected as in the tournament with MSU the lowest seed at 11.

Neither Indiana, PSU, Minnesota, Northwestern, or Nebraska are currently projected as in.

When a B10 team beats another B10 team the loser does not fall.  The winner moves into the tournament.  Brings to my mind something about the King not wearing any clothes.

Cincinnati,

Agree with your overall assessment, but one point you make is a loss by a Big 10 team to another doesn’t drop them much.  That is true for the Big 12 as well.

No analysis done, just going from recent memory, and depends on whether you are talking polls or tournament projections.  But my impression, while true the B12 teams are not dropping much, still seems like they drop more than the B10 teams.  But just an unsubstantiated impression.

Some good stuff, guys. Bottom line, as we all know, is that if Ohio State and Michigan and Iowa played in the Big 12 they would not have as  good as record as they do in the Big 10. The Big 10 at the high end is almost as good as the Big 12 but, as Huggins says about WVU, the Big 10’s middle and bottom would be demolished by the Big 12’s middle and maybe even bottom, although poor Iowa State hasn’t figured out how to beat anyone in the Big 12. The poor Cyclones are the Big 12’s punching bag this season. Back to Huggins: Other teams might have a better 5 but we have a better 9 or 10. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Keeping Perspective: Plenty To Work With For WVU Following Baylor Loss