Lack Of Games In Charleston Remains A Glaring Oversight

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Lack Of Games In Charleston Remains A Glaring Oversight

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  WVFaninMI .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Lack Of Games In Charleston Remains A Glaring Oversight West Virginia University recently released the non-conference portion of its 2019-20 men’s bas
    [See the full post at: Lack Of Games In Charleston Remains A Glaring Oversight]

Oversight?  Not exactly.

Cancun challenge, Return of Pitt game, BE Challenge, SEC Challenge(home), Cleveland Classic.  Only 4 games outside of the 2 Cancun Challenge are at home.  Not enough time to play another away game.

Being a season ticket holder, I am not fond of the Charleston games. I know it gives the southern part of the state a chance to see WVU, but when I was a kid I lived in Beckley. My family drove to Morgantown to see basketball games not Charleston. So there are weekend games….If this is a way to get the legislature to get more funds…don’t like that either. If it is a game that the other team doesn’t want to play us in Morgantown then maybe… No, not fond of the idea. I do have family that is tied to the Charleston Civic center Coliseum or whatever it is now called..

Of all the factors listed, the ability to generate a profit is probably the dominant one.  Also, with the number of games televised now, not sure that holding the games in the area holds as much sway as before.  Used to be, especially for the games normally scheduled there, if you were going to see them, you had to go to them.

The only way to make a profit in a game in Charleston is the city to form a small tournament game where it cost no money to make a trip. Charleston can not foot the bill to bring in teams. WVU should not have to play in Charleston. That’s a 2 1/2 hour trip. It’s more like a road game for them.

If a game should be played then play an Alumni game vs WVU team. Take the money and donate to the Ronald McDonald House in Charleston.

Oh for God’s sake listen to yourselves.  We’re talking a tiny percentage of the overall basketball budget and an even lesser percentage of the athletic department budget.

That 2 1/2 hour drive being referred to . . . well, the long suffering fans from the greater Charleston area make that commute all the time to attend games at Morgantown.  Considering the size of the fan base in that area, to say nothing of their donations to the MAC, the idea of stiffing them a game in Charleston once a year really appears to be both condescending and small minded from a perception standpoint to those folks.

Using the logic expressed in this thread, then should we cancel the annual Coaches Caravan to the southern part of the state where we go down there every year with our hand out for their money?

If want to see a game in Charleston, then go watch the UC Golden Eagles.

Don’t follow the logic. Can happen every now and again but whenever it does it hurts:

1. Revenue

2. Home court advantage

3. Travel time (most traveled team in continental US to begin with)

4. Student support (understand games over breaks is the answer)

Now give me an argument for the game beyond the “Charleston people deserve a home game”

Honeslty the article smacks of political lobby type influence. Sorry, just call it as I see it.

Disclaimer:  When I left MI in 2007, I moved to Morgantown.  However, I was born in Charleston & the folks moved to Putnam County when I was 5.  I see both perspectives here & I still think that 1 game a year in Charleston is an imperative for the following reasons:

• Fan base in that area
    • Donor base in that area
    • Flagship university presence in the capitol city

Tylerite – shall that region’s WVU donors begin sending their donations to UC?  My wife is a UC alumnus, but we donate to WVU and there are other similar situations down there where like us, one spouse went to WVU like me & the other went to some other WV school.  We don’t want to play a BB game down there, then why are we all too pleased to send the coaches down there a couple times a year with their hands out?

Mex – my assumption was the date would be during breaks & before conference play begins like around Thanksgiving break or the extended Christmas break. There is some revenue loss, but in scheme of the total budget, it is minimal.  The former annual game with MU sickened me due to its stated purpose of pandering to the legislature.  I assure you my feelings on this subject are not politically motivated.

This article was weak sauce. Wa!

By this logic, then Marshall should play a game in Wheeling.  SMH

The poor donor base of Charleston… give me a break. Shall we play a game in Parkersburg as well?

No strong argument for the game.

Tylerite – MU isn’t the flagship university and even should they want to play some games around the state, other than Cabell, Wayne, & Western Putnam Counties, they would have a hard time drawing enough fans to even start a fight.  WVU on the other hand will draw.

Mex – no, not P’burg.  No adequate arena.  Not the case with Charleston, where there is one.  The strength of the argument, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder. 😉

I want a game in Cabo but a couple in Cancun will suffice

WVUFanin MI……..”Oh for God’s sake listen to yourselves.  We’re talking a tiny percentage of the overall basketball budget and an even lesser percentage of the athletic department budget.

That 2 1/2 hour drive being referred to . . . well, the long suffering fans from the greater Charleston area make that commute all the time to attend games at Morgantown.  Considering the size of the fan base in that area, to say nothing of their donations to the MAC, the idea of stiffing them a game in Charleston once a year really appears to be both condescending and small minded from a perception standpoint to those folks.

Using the logic expressed in this thread, then should we cancel the annual Coaches Caravan to the southern part of the state where we go down there every year with our hand out for their money?”

Oh woe is me….. the “Long Suffering Fans from the greater Charleston area”   What about the long suffering fans in the Northern Panhandle?  In Pittsburgh?  In the Martinsburg area?  In DC?

Fact is that this year there is no room on the schedule for another away game.  Students don’t attend a game in Charleston so you take one more home game away.  There is a loss of revenue for the program every time we play in Charleston.  And when we do play there they don’t fill up the Charleston Arena.  Would be much different if they sold all the tickets available.

Woe is me…….. Poor Charleston fans can’t make the trip for an OOC game.

I live in Charleston and can see why they shouldn’t travel to Charleston. The Civic Center crowds, which didn’t reach 8,900 in any of the four most recent games against a foe. WVU can make a much greater profit simply by staying in Morgantown.Will they ever play another game in Charleston? Yes I think they do. But why does it have to be every year?

How about an annual “Hot Rod Classic” tribute game against a locaL Kentucky or Virginia team that would fill the stands!?

KY or VA teams for an annual “Hot Rod Classic” would fill the Coli.

Unless you’re suggesting playing a Mid/Low major team in Charleston.

A game against KU or VU in Charleston would be ridiculous!

Tony – considering that East Bank is just up the Kanawha from Charleston where Cabin Creek empties, why not make it the WVU Hall of Famers Classic honoring West, Hundley, and even Rod Thorn who hails from down the Turnpike in Princeton?  The opponents could be a rotating assortment of KY or VA or even OH teams.

If you make it “an event”, other than “an event” to pander to the Legislature, chances are far better for selling out the arena, though considering Allen’s point about the less than 10,000 attendance for the last 4 games, I would say that the Charleston Convention & Business team should ratchet up their promotional apparatus.  The other thing should be some pain sharing on costs between the arena folks and WVU – that past practice that pushed much of the cost on WVU, was extremely ill advised and just served to give fuel to the resistance of a game that for all intents and purposes should have been a positive instead of a negative.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Lack Of Games In Charleston Remains A Glaring Oversight