Middling Grade Equals ‘Nowhere’ For Big 12

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Middling Grade Equals ‘Nowhere’ For Big 12

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  catfish57 .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Middling Grade Equals ‘Nowhere’ For Big 12 MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — There are very few things I remember from the sociology course I took back in high scho
    [See the full post at: Middling Grade Equals ‘Nowhere’ For Big 12]

Scooby provides a stupid analysis. There is no alternative universe, much less the one we live in, where the Big 12 is worse than 7 other conferences. Scooby needs a few more biscuits to improve his brain power.

Apples and oranges.  Oh, and how did Georgia do against Texas?  Yeah I know. They were down because they were left out of the playoffs.

Sports Illustrated is helping to perpetuate the talking points of the networks, the Big Ten, the ACC, and the Group of Five in that the Big XII is somehow inferior for only having 10 schools.

For the networks, it is negotiating leverage.

For the Big Ten and the ACC, it is “misery loves company” in that they are unwieldy having about 2 too many members.  Odd that the SEC seems ambivalent on that subject.

Of course, for the Group of Five it is their desire to have the Big XII expand and take a couple of their own into the family.

Personally, I like the membership just as it is – mainly because I am not at all excited about any potential new members that are out there on the board.

IMO the networks are sending the B12 a message. With only 10 members we are at a disadvantage because of lack of inventory. With the 10 team schedule it’s inevitable that the top teams knock each other off. Look at the ACC / BiG / SEC…… their top teams don’t have to play EVERY other top team in the conference. There are enough middle of the pack and cellar dwellers to pad the schedule and keep the top teams with better records. B12 just knocks each other off every year because we play every team in the conference.

Adding at least 2 more and IMO 4 would make perfect sense. This gives us 2 divisions of 7 teams. Play 6 in your division and 3 in the other with 3 OOC games. Adding teams like Houston, UCF, Cincy and one other would not only add inventory but also add additional new markets. Yes it may initially decrease the per team payout, but it would help keep the conference strong if/when another team decides to bolt. Then we wouldn’t have to scramble to find teams to fill the void.

Rather than write a lengthy reply, I’ll just simply say that I disagree with almost everything contained in this article.  Since we’re handing out grades, this opinion piece gets a D.

IMO the networks are sending the B12 a message. With only 10 members we are at a disadvantage because of lack of inventory. With the 10 team schedule it’s inevitable that the top teams knock each other off. Look at the ACC / BiG / SEC…… their top teams don’t have to play EVERY other top team in the conference. There are enough middle of the pack and cellar dwellers to pad the schedule and keep the top teams with better records. B12 just knocks each other off every year because we play every team in the conference. Adding at least 2 more and IMO 4 would make perfect sense. This gives us 2 divisions of 7 teams. Play 6 in your division and 3 in the other with 3 OOC games. Adding teams like Houston, UCF, Cincy and one other would not only add inventory but also add additional new markets. Yes it may initially decrease the per team payout, but it would help keep the conference strong if/when another team decides to bolt. Then we wouldn’t have to scramble to find teams to fill the void.

I agree.  I was very disappointed when the Big 12 decided not to expand.  I understand that the short-term economics underlying the decision made sense, but long-term, I think deciding not to expand will probably lead to this conference’s demise.

this is why I stopped buy the SI rag years ago …. I give SI an F- as a Mag

IMO the networks are sending the B12 a message. With only 10 members we are at a disadvantage because of lack of inventory. With the 10 team schedule it’s inevitable that the top teams knock each other off. Look at the ACC / BiG / SEC…… their top teams don’t have to play EVERY other top team in the conference. There are enough middle of the pack and cellar dwellers to pad the schedule and keep the top teams with better records. B12 just knocks each other off every year because we play every team in the conference. Adding at least 2 more and IMO 4 would make perfect sense. This gives us 2 divisions of 7 teams. Play 6 in your division and 3 in the other with 3 OOC games. Adding teams like Houston, UCF, Cincy and one other would not only add inventory but also add additional new markets. Yes it may initially decrease the per team payout, but it would help keep the conference strong if/when another team decides to bolt. Then we wouldn’t have to scramble to find teams to fill the void.

I just can’t get excited about UH, UCF, Cincy, and obviously either BYU or Boise or even USF as additions – more inventory notwithstanding.  If there were just 2 available out there that moved the needle, then I’d be all aboard to increase to 12.  But there’s just not.

The best WVU teams of my memory all had great defenses.The Big 12 is pass happy, so wouldn’t it follow that recruiting the very best DB’s and pass rushers possible be job one.Wouldn’t that be a great selling point? If you want to be noticed by pro scouts looking for pass defensive talent come play in the Big 12.

I don’t think more teams is necessarily the answer.As the article stated WV and Iowa State underperformed.To me rather than focusing on getting more teams in the conference of which there are precious few that would enhance the league.Strengthening the league overall especially the top tier by playing stronger non conference opponents.Shifting the conference philosophy to stronger defenses play.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Middling Grade Equals ‘Nowhere’ For Big 12