More To Come On This…

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports More To Come On This…

• This topic has 32 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated by ButlereerButlereer.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Perhaps not wise things to say but I don’t feel they rise to the level of requiring anything beyond a meeting with Brown, Lyons and perhaps Gee for a stern warning and explicit expectations moving forward.

That said these are strange times and it would be hard for a guy to change his words and actions in the heat of battle.

Can you imagine if Stew we’re still around? His past would be his undoing for sure and he was a pretty darn good human being.

Good point on that last mex.

It’s so difficult to make judgments from afar in situations like this, and to understand how others may feel that are in a situation that we aren’t or experience in  a different way. In my interviews and viewing of Koenning on the field in practice and games, I have not seen any indications of racist actions. However, as I note above, others see him in different places and different situations. That’s why I don’t come out with quick judgments, or make snap decisions.

Kerry states his feelings and his case well, and obviously has backup for it. I do hope that Coach Koenning and WVU respond quickly, and more importantly, work with Kerry to address his concerns and make things better.

It sounds like this is an addressable concern.  Keeping your politics to yourself is a good rule of thumb for everybody.

Well, there ya go. Put in administrative leave. Not the distraction any team needs leading into (hopefully) a season.

Hope things get ironed out and all can move forward together but I have my doubts.

cc,

Agree with you there. Politics and religion are hot button issues, and making statements about them to college student athletes in a team setting is just not the thing to do.

Of course, all are entitled to their opinions, and those can be made to others in different settings, but a coach doing so in a team or position meeting or practice isn’t acceptable. And the same would be true for players IMO.

Agreed Kevin.  Team unity more important than any politics.  And there other places to make your statements known.

Wow coaches. Do not share any opinions with your student athletes.

I wonder how badly this will hurt recruiting?  Now is the period that recruiting superior athletes is important for the Mountaineers going forward.

I work in a management position.  Akin to a coach-player relationship.  I make it a point to never discuss politics or religion with people who work for me.  Some of you know I occasionally do speak on political issues on the politics board.  I have strong opinions.  I have every right to have and express them.  But not at work.  My position of authority at work gives me a bully pulpit, and so does a coach’s position over players.  You need to have the discipline to know when it is appropriate to express personal opinions and when it is not.

Wow coaches. Do not share any opinions with your student athletes.

That’s something of an overreaction, and doesn’t do a lot, IMO, to address these sorts of issues. Certainly there are times that opinions on some topics can be shared. And it might be tough for some, at times, to realize where the line is drawn.

If a SA wants your opinion on something and asks for it in a private setting, then that would be ok IMO. But not have it pushed in a mandatory attendance meeting or setting.

If I misundersood your post, please clarify. All points of view welcome to be discussed.

Doesn’t really matter if its true or not.  Schools are capitulating everywhere in favor of the students whether there is anything behind it or not.  Days of a coach running a program are gone.

Ccteam, you are right on target.

Coaches hold an immense position of power over student athletes. A coach simply CANNOT try to place their political or religious beliefs onto the athletes. No matter how well intentioned.

Coaches decisions decide if they play and the extent of their role on the team. Decisions that will have financial ramifications for those that aspire to play in the NFL. The coaches are making six figure or seven figure salaries and making a living off these students. SO they hold ALL the power in that dynamic.

This was Kerry trying to take a little bit of that power back in a way he felt comfortable (Twitter).

Earlier in the thread the “bully pulpit” was mentioned.  Ironic, that the man to which that phrase was targeted – one Teddy Roosevelt – is now among those folks who have been honored with statutes that are now deemed unacceptable and should be removed from public view.

Even in this serious topic of discussion to which the main thrust of dialogue involves the VERY GOOD advice to keep political and religious views to one’s self, I can’t resist the “trigger” of making a reference to today’s political landscape when remembering where the phrase bully pulpit originated.

See, it is just THAT EASY to momentarily “relax” and let something escape your lips on controversial topics which can then cause lots of emotional, hurtful collateral issues to arise in the wake of your comment.

There’s a right way and a wrong way to bring light to the issue. It’s unfortunate Kerry Martin chose to do this on twitter. I could see him doing so after he had talked first to the coaches and teammates.

I support Kerry Martin standing up for his right as a human being . I do not believe he thought through the consequences of a statement like that on twitter.

If politics and religious belief was being discussed away from the field, locker room school and meeting rooms then not much should have been said. Not if it was during workouts, practice or team meetings of any sort then yes it’s a bad idea.

It’s not something he should be fired over but with the way things are going about now then I get the feeling he will be gone soon.

This could destroy the team or build them together. I do not envy coach Brown on this one. This could be a defining moment in his coaching career more so than wins and losses at the moment.

Bit of irony in a college “teacher” (coach) being reprimanded for pushing ideological and political views on students.

Are not college professors renowned for this and so protected that they get away with it, en masse, on a daily basis?

From what I’ve read the most offensive thing Koenig said was “retarded” which, while insensitive, is hardly cause for the public calling out that has transpired.

That said I believe there will be more to come out and a bit closer to the current issues. I hope not but whether or not such racial speak/treatment has occurred I do not see this playing out well for the coach.

If his actions and words rose to that level then so be it. If this is a student athelete reaching a bit I hope he and his peers can recognize it and move forward .

Either way this is not good for anyone involved and certainly bad for the program.

While I was a big fan of Luck I’ll simply say I’m more comfortable with Lyons navigating through these difficult times.

Ccteam, you are right on target.

Coaches hold an immense position of power over student athletes. A coach simply CANNOT try to place their political or religious beliefs onto the athletes. No matter how well intentioned.

Coaches decisions decide if they play and the extent of their role on the team. Decisions that will have financial ramifications for those that aspire to play in the NFL. The coaches are making six figure or seven figure salaries and making a living off these students. SO they hold ALL the power in that dynamic.

This was Kerry trying to take a little bit of that power back in a way he felt comfortable (Twitter).

Good point here.  Shouldn’t this be applied to Professors also?  Hmmmmmm ……  If it applies to one set of people in an authority position shouldn’t it apply to all?

Butler, do not read anything into my comments as to my opinion(s) as to the overall situation.  But, if you are a student taking classes as an undergrad, and you have a problem with a professor, there is likely an alternative path available.  Perhaps substituting a different class for the one in question, perhaps switching to another professor teaching the same class, maybe an online alternative.  Especially if the problem was “serious” enough in the eyes of the department/administration to think the alternative was in the best interests of all concerned.  But there really is no alternative for an athlete.  It is not like they could switch to the “other” football team at the University.  Not exactly apples to apples but coaches are not exactly analogous to professors.  But professors across campuses through out our country are totally out of control.  No easy solutions there either.

Mex thanks for bringing up the seeming double standard between coaches and professors. There seems to be no issue with them mentoring students by expressing their personal views on politics,religion and other hot button issues in the classroom.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports More To Come On This…