Mountaineer Fan through the Good and the Bad

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Mountaineer Fan through the Good and the Bad

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Ccteam .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

This looks to be a very thin year.Honestly it’s been a long time,maybe never, since I’ve seen a Mountaineer team this inept.There are no immediate fixes.I don’t see the value of why some players continue to get playing time. I guess when your this bad it makes no difference.I think this season will just be a learning experience for the new guys and maybe next year it will pay off.Until then as a Mountaineer fan I’ll watch every agonizing minute until this season mercifully ends.

I agree on not knowing the answers but like you I will  continue  To support and watch.

I’ll repeat what I have said earlier: This is like watching a train wreck–you just can’t take your eyes off it, no matter how hard you try. And if not for Coach Huggins, I wouldn’t give a damn anymore, because he simply has done NOTHING to deserve the total crap that most of his own team is handing him.

Honestly, there is absolutely NO WAY this “team” will win again the remainder of the season, other than if their competition plays worse than they do, given how they’ve “played” to this point. It is disgraceful.

I’ll repeat what I have said earlier: This is like watching a train wreck–you just can’t take your eyes off it, no matter how hard you try. And if not for Coach Huggins, I wouldn’t give a damn anymore, because he simply has done NOTHING to deserve the total crap that most of his own team is handing him. Honestly, there is absolutely NO WAY this “team” will win again the remainder of the season, other than if their competition plays worse than they do, given how they’ve “played” to this point. It is disgraceful.

I think Huggs would actually disagree with you here.  In several recent quotes, he is attributing the whole mess to himself.  Now, I agree with your overall premise and feel the same, I’m just saying the man himself would most likely disagree with you.

I don’t know that this is a complete train wreck.  We were close to winning all 4 of these games.  All of the injuries hurt.  Sags being out now.  Beetle hurt.  West’s wrist.  Culver suspended until now.  What hasn’t happened is that we just haven’t identified that go to person.  Our shooters have been so streaky that we can’t rely on them from beyond the arc.  Then we have the Esa/Wes saga.  Knapper hasn’t lived up to his hype.  McCabe is just getting used to the speed and physical game.  Haley hasn’t really found his position yet.

On the positive side, Culver is becoming a force in the paint.  We just have to get him the ball.  Beetle went off and hopefully this is a fresh start.  We’ve seen a little of what Doomes can do and he may be the go to guy at 2G.  Matthews has shown us a little of what he can do but both of these guys need more time on the floor to know where to be and what to do. Gordon has even shown a little light in his few minutes.  Now if Esa and Wes will get their shit together we’ll be OK.  Not good but OK.

That being said, if ……. we had Sags healthy we would be in great shape.

Very frustrating to say the least.  Haven’t gotten to the point that I turn off a game, but it gets hard to listen to when we blow big leads and come so close on others. Huggs will fix this. Guaranteed, he will fix this.

What would you expect him to say?

I understand FULLY what the phrase “captain of the ship” means. Because that’s what good leaders do–to the point of falling on their own swords–LITERALLY, as history attests.

Not to be overly dramatic, but in hopes that the point is made.

I’ll just say it…. Harler is a mystery to me.I just get the impression he’s more worried about his appearance than his level of play.Nate Adrian he is not.Huggs sees value in him that I do not.

I don’t know that this is a complete train wreck. We were close to winning all 4 of these games. All of the injuries hurt. Sags being out now. Beetle hurt. West’s wrist. Culver suspended until now. What hasn’t happened is that we just haven’t identified that go to person. Our shooters have been so streaky that we can’t rely on them from beyond the arc. Then we have the Esa/Wes saga. Knapper hasn’t lived up to his hype. McCabe is just getting used to the speed and physical game. Haley hasn’t really found his position yet. On the positive side, Culver is becoming a force in the paint. We just have to get him the ball. Beetle went off and hopefully this is a fresh start. We’ve seen a little of what Doomes can do and he may be the go to guy at 2G. Matthews has shown us a little of what he can do but both of these guys need more time on the floor to know where to be and what to do. Gordon has even shown a little light in his few minutes. Now if Esa and Wes will get their shit together we’ll be OK. Not good but OK. That being said, if ……. we had Sags healthy we would be in great shape. Very frustrating to say the least. Haven’t gotten to the point that I turn off a game, but it gets hard to listen to when we blow big leads and come so close on others. Huggs will fix this. Guaranteed, he will fix this.

Thanks, Butler, for you rationale. Needed more than ever. Still, especially after today, the message hasn’t gotten through to the guys who are actually representing their coach’s philosophy. And agonizing apparent today. At home. Against a REALLY bad team–who had their way from the opening tip.

So yeah, if there is a way of describing a train wreck, this is defining of that.

I didn’t expect a world beating team. But I thought they would be better than this. I was expecting 20 wins. Now they may not win another one.

I honestly didn’t think they played that bad today. OSU shot a crazy percentage, a lot of which were contested shots. I mean you have guys who are average shooters on the season hitting multiple NBA range 3’s.

They had a big run to end the half and then a big run midway through the second half. Offensively we didn’t have the huge scoring droughts from earlier in the season. Other than their stocky PG getting a lot going to the rim, I didn’t think the defensive effort was that bad either.

You play that game 10 times and I don’t think OSU shoots that high of a percentage multiple times.

I’m not sure I see this game as a sign the sky is falling. It sucks for sure but OSU did the exact same thing to us last season when they came into the coliseum like world beaters.

I’ll just say it…. Harler is a mystery to me.I just get the impression he’s more worried about his appearance than his level of play.Nate Adrian he is not.Huggs sees value in him that I do not.

I was criticized in another post for making the same observation

I was criticized in another post for making the same observation

That’ll happen when you stray from the herd.

Harler’s athleticism is questionable. It would be acceptable if he were a sharp shooter but he hasn’t been that to date. He hustles and apparently knows what to do, but he might have been better served playing down a level.

Harler’s athleticism is questionable. It would be acceptable if he were a sharp shooter but he hasn’t been that to date. He hustles and apparently knows what to do, but he might have been better served playing down a level. or two

At the start of the year, Chase was solid in most parts of the game except for shooting, which has been uneven all year. Recently though, I agree that he has dropped off. Defense has always been a struggle, and we knew that, but it seems worse over the past few games.

Also, the one thing he has to do, IMO, is make open shots. I don’t expect him to create space for himself, but he has to knock them down when he gets good looks. That hasn’t been happening either.

The plus items are than he doesn’t turn the ball over and knows the offense, so he doesn’t blow up sets.

It could be argued that missed shots are a turnovers too.Statistically they aren’t counted as turnovers but missed shots manifest themselves negatively in game stats in FG% and offensive rebounds.

At the start of the year, Chase was solid in most parts of the game except for shooting, which has been uneven all year. Recently though, I agree that he has dropped off. Defense has always been a struggle, and we knew that, but it seems worse over the past few games. Also, the one thing he has to do, IMO, is make open shots. I don’t expect him to create space for himself, but he has to knock them down when he gets good looks. That hasn’t been happening either. The plus items are than he doesn’t turn the ball over and knows the offense, so he doesn’t blow up sets.

Knowing the O, not turning the ball over and not blowing up sets is the reason that Huggs has confidence in Harler and why he gets more time on the floor than the other G’s.  As the other guys get bettter Harler’s mins will fall.   But……. The other guys still have major brain farts.  They can’t keep from dribbling, throwing the ball into the stands, throwing the ball to other guys, dribbling into the paint with nowhere to go because they are so frail, not able to play D, lose their man in the corner, get lost on rotations and have no idea when and where to provide back side help.   Unfortunately for all of Harler’s deficiencies he is the only G other than Beetle that is trusted on the floor.  I would have hoped by now that one of the other G’s would have stepped up.  JUST ONE…… Doesn’t matter if they are a PG or 2G to play next to Beetle.  Too bad that Teddy had a meltdown and ran out of here.  He may have been our go to guy to drive the paint.

I still think this team can salvage something out of this burning out of control car. I can still see 4 to 6 conference wins. There might be something still left over from the scraps at the dinner table. We should at least check the fridge for a dessert. Call me super crazy and many have, just don’t call me late to the dinner table.

I still think this team can salvage something out of this burning out of control car. I can still see 4 to 6 conference wins. There might be something still left over from the scraps at the dinner table. We should at least check the fridge for a dessert. Call me super crazy and many have, just don’t call me late to the dinner table.You are super crazy

Won’t call you crazy, but you got a crazy vision. No way this team wins 6 conference games. Play the pups and take your lumps.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Mountaineer Fan through the Good and the Bad