Mountaineers Have Few Problems With Austin Peay

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Mountaineers Have Few Problems With Austin Peay

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated by dawg8.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Mountaineers Have Few Problems With Austin Peay MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – West Virginia had some early struggles, but righted itself after a few minutes and
    [See the full post at: Mountaineers Have Few Problems With Austin Peay]

Emmitt showing that he’s the most consistent and IMO most valuable player.

It’s not Ohio State but the eyeball test saw improvement in the 84-53 rout of Austin Peay.

Ball-handling, passes into the paint or near the basket, was much better. And the team didn’t let up despite the laughably large lead. That’s important to keep the pedal to the metal. Huggins is great at yanking guys who don’t do that.

Huggins played 13 guys and all but Macke scored, despite several attempts by the other 4 on the floor to give him a shot at it.

The 50-25 rebounding advantage was good to see, even though it wasn’t against Ohio State.

WVU won by 31 points. Arkansas beat Peay by 8, Vanderbilt by 18, Tulsa by 7, Western Kentucky by 22.
    And WVU has only one loss, to St. John’s. And March Madness is a long way off.

Nicholls and Youngstown will be 2 more chances for Huggins Heroes to polish their game for the awesome Buckeyes in Cleveland. I have had my tickets for weeks.

For now, on to Nicholls at 2 p.m. Saturday, December 14 in WVU Coliseum and Youngstown at 1 p.m. Saturday, December 21!

Two stats stand out. 21 assists on 34 field goals and 63% from the line. A lot of those were front ends. Have to get that over 70% to compete for a spot in the upper end of the league

Emmitt showing that he’s the most consistent and IMO most valuable player.

Love Matthews’ progress, and agree he has been very good. But at this point, I would take Haley as WVU’s most consistent and important player.

Of course, we can debate what MVP means, and it can have a bunch of different interpretations and contexts. I just think Haley has been a excellent across the board, both in stats and overall game play. None of this changes your point, though, that Matthews is very important to this year’s team. If he and Haley are playing well, WVU is a very tough out.

Haley: 11.1 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 16 assists, 3 blocks, 12 steals, 65% FG%

Matthews: 10.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 9 assists, 3 blocks 4 steals, 46.8% FG%

Emmitt has taken more threes, so that lowers his FG%, and he’s making an excellent 43.8% of those, so that’s a big tick mark in his favor.

To me the eye test is how this team plays with only one (Haley or Matthews) in the lineup. Emmitt seems to be the more steadying player on the floor. The team just doesn’t seem as frantic with Emmitt only on the floor as it is with Haley only. Just my observation.

I simply say that arguing whether Haley or Mathews is the MVP at this stage further underscores the potential of this team.

I say Haley. WV simply doesn’t win the Rhode Island game without him.

We simply had too much size and athleticism for Austin Peay. Matthews again solid, but I also think the unsung hero is Culver. A lot of what he did would not show up on the box score, but understanding his role within the team and to win games seemed to shine last night. I know Huggins grabbed him and talked with him at length when he pulled him out of the game at the end, I think he was coaching that aspect too. Seems to getting a better grasp on the big picture.

Anyways, I don’t see anything in our way until the nastiest 4 game stretch starting with Ohio State and bubbling through to K State. Ohio State and Kansas on the road? The Final Four isn’t that hard. Then Ok State only to come home for Tech?

It’s about to get REAL, let’s not lose focus on the Nicholls State and Youngstown State games as we prepare for the harshest gauntlet in recent memory.

Those 4 will be the hardest by far. Most would call tOSU an away game, @ Kansas, @ OSU, and TT in Morgantown. If we come out with 1 or 2 W’s and don’t get blown out it will be a very good stretch. Even playing close games with 4 L’s would be a good stretch for this young team. We’ll most likely see a shortened bench. Maybe play all 12, but the last 3 or even 4 may get 5 min or less. Haley, Emmit and Derek will have to show leadership qualities. Let’s see what happens at PG.

To me the eye test is how this team plays with only one (Haley or Matthews) in the lineup. Emmitt seems to be the more steadying player on the floor. The team just doesn’t seem as frantic with Emmitt only on the floor as it is with Haley only. Just my observation.

Excellent point, and one that goes beyond stats. We’ll throw out the St. John’s game, where all the players seemed frazzled.

I’ll be first in line to agree that WVU needs both on the floor a lot. Emmitt had 28 mins last night, most on the team, and Haley was second at 22.

Agreed we can’t make too much of this win. It was a good bounceback from the SJU loss. Now need to build to prepare for that gauntlet. WVU might face 1-2 back to back in OSU and Kansas.

I agree with what is said about Haley an Matthews. However most of the rest of the team, there seems to be a
    lack of focus. The first half they all looked like that no one had ever played basketball before. The second
    half after a 20 point plus lead, there was IMO to much talking and laughing on court. Also I’ve noticed that
    during timeouts the players standing around the ones sitting are not paying attention to what is being coached.
    Just some thoughts.

Forgot to mention number 22 is getting and better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Mountaineers Have Few Problems With Austin Peay