Negative Plays A Positive for WVU Defense

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Negative Plays A Positive for WVU Defense

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Bob Hertzel

Negative Plays A Positive for WVU Defense MORGANTOWN, W. Va. — It seems only fitting that the tables should be turned after West Virginia was thrown f
    [See the full post at: Negative Plays A Positive for WVU Defense]

Butlereer
    Butlereer

As excited as I am about the strength and depth of the DL this year, I’m a little cautious about extrapolating 20 TFL’s to the 12 (now 11) game season. vs Tenn and YSU is much different than the conference schedule coming up.

mexman

Of course hard too assume we will average 10 a game BUT…

The solid play of the line will free up Long and probably Avery for some free shots in the backfield. With those two being obvious keys for the opposing offense to focus on inlook for Dravon and Tonk to make some huge plays in critical situations as Gibby mixes up the pressure.

Bigelow seems an obvious candidate to get in and wreak havoc but surprisingly Robinson seems more adept at run defense which is fine by me, just expected something a bit different. Donahue is a very underrated cog at the moment and of attention switches to others Rose may get his mojo back as a rush end… which is intriguing.

As excited as I am about the strength and depth of the DL this year, I’m a little cautious about extrapolating 20 TFL’s to the 12 (now 11) game season. vs Tenn and YSU is much different than the conference schedule coming up.

Definitely not trying to say that the results of two games predict what will happen the rest of the year. But if it does, that’s one way to slow Big 12 offenses, which are going to gain yards and score points. IF you can disrupt a couple of drives with some negative plays, that can make the difference, in, say, a 38-34 contest.

Mex makes the good point that needs to be highlighted — if WVU is to continue the TFL trend, it’s a group effort. Long will get his, but it’s the spread across the entire defense that is important. Blitzers from the second level getting home, DLs getting 3-4 per game as a group.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Negative Plays A Positive for WVU Defense