New Big 12 Digital Deal To Change Some Of WVU’s TV Package

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports New Big 12 Digital Deal To Change Some Of WVU’s TV Package

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by RipsRevenge RipsRevenge .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

New Big 12 Digital Deal To Change Some Of WVU’s TV Package ESPN and the Big 12 Conference announced a new agreement that will significantly expanded t
    [See the full post at: New Big 12 Digital Deal To Change Some Of WVU’s TV Package]

Greg – do you know if this new deal will also absorb telecasts originating through WVU Sports?

So now I have to hook up my computer to my 65” tv to watch the Mountaineers. Some older folks wont be able to watch because of the technical challenges this presents. Young folks will be driving down the freeway watching the games on their phones. Oh boy!!!

Hurts my access as ESPN+ doesn’t work south of the border

Greg – do you know if this new deal will also absorb telecasts originating through WVU Sports?

If you are talking about games that were just streamed on WVU’s site, the answer appears to be some, but not all.

Each school will have to supply 50-some games per year to ESPN+.

I’ll add this to a list of follow-up questions I’m putting together for WVU. If anyone has any others they would like to ask, please list them here and I’ll do my best to get answers.

Did not know that. Is it somehow blocked on your computers or mobile devices?

That’s a good question.  Would using a US based VPN make a difference?

So, am I to infer that ESPN+ is not an option on any cable service?  I guess I’ll have to learn how to hook up my computer to my TV.  Sheesh, society is constantly causing this OLD dog to learn new tricks . . . keeps me young, I guess.

Does anyone know if you can watch espn+ on a smart tv?

This stinks for an old dog like me; but will probably be beneficial to most. I watched the non conference mediocre games on ATT …. guess I will still be able to see all the important games and will tune to radio for WVU vs Duquesne football game

This SUCKS….  just SUCKS.   Another way ESPiN is getting into your pocket.  Only $4.99/month…… only…..   ESPiN is slowly pushing every game to its premium stations.  ESPNU is an upgrade on my cable.  Can’t get ESPN3 or News.   Now have to pay for ESPN+.   On top of that you have to tether or blue tooth to your TV.  Some of the older TV’s don’t have that capability.   Mex can’t get it at all?????  What next?  Will IMG start to charge for their voice broadcasts?

IMO this isn’t progress for the fans.  It’s just another way for ESPiN to make money off of the fans.

ESPN+ is a streaming service, but you should be able to access it on most smart TVs and with devices like Roku or Amazon Firestick.

I don’t currently have ESPN+ but will probably subscribe to it in the future to get the Big 12 channel. What I’ll likely do is look at my currently Dish package and likely drop some of those channels, like AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh, to offset the cost. I enjoy watching an occasional Pirate and Penguin game, which are the biggest broadcast partners on AT&T SportsNet, but not enough to pay additional for that channel if the Mountaineers no longer are involved.

This SUCKS…. just SUCKS. Another way ESPiN is getting into your pocket. Only $4.99/month…… only….. ESPiN is slowly pushing every game to its premium stations. ESPNU is an upgrade on my cable. Can’t get ESPN3 or News. Now have to pay for ESPN+. On top of that you have to tether or blue tooth to your TV. Some of the older TV’s don’t have that capability. Mex can’t get it at all????? What next? Will IMG start to charge for their voice broadcasts? IMO this isn’t progress for the fans. It’s just another way for ESPiN to make money off of the fans.

Buggers, that’s what they are.  It rubs me raw in the anal area for every dime I am LITERALLY forced to give to Mouse Ears.  But I love my Mountaineers and being able to watch them more than I hate these smucks.

It will for the most part. At this point, the understanding is that live games will eitehr be on ESPN+ or not at all.

“Shoulder” events like coaches shows and football pregame shows could still be streamed on WVU’s web site, but live sports will be on ESPN+ or not at all.

IMO this isn’t progress for the fans. It’s just another way for ESPiN to make money off of the fans.

There are a couple of positives, but at first glance I agree it’s more of a hardship. Many people aren’t digital mavens, and don’t have smart TVs. The world is moving that way, but it’s not universal.

One positive. If, say, there are to football games that are going to be on ESPN+, it doesn’t matter what time they start, because they don’t conflict with broadcast slots. ESPN+ can and already does run events simultaneously. So, you won’t have a game moved to a different start time just for a TV slot — at least those that will be on ESPN+.

One other thought – can’t blame ESPN for all of this. The other four P5 conferences have their own networks, and fans there arleady have to pay extra for them to get all of the games.

Does anyone know if you can watch espn+ on a smart tv?

If your smart TV can connect to the internet, then yes.

That’s a good question. Would using a US based VPN make a difference?

Yes, I would need to use one of the services that masks/changes your IP address. I suppose that is on the agenda now.

I see that it is not available anywhere outside the US. So, an IP redirection or masking system is in your future.

More on ESPN+. Although this is more like an ad for it. Probably ghostwritten by ESPN.

That’s a good question. Would using a US based VPN make a difference?

Yes, I would need to use one of the services that masks/changes your IP address. I suppose that is on the agenda now.

I’m currently using NordVPN and can connect pretty much anywhere throughout the world.  I think it was $70 for 3 years if that helps.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports New Big 12 Digital Deal To Change Some Of WVU’s TV Package