News, Notes & Rumors – June 11

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports News, Notes & Rumors – June 11

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Greg Hunter
    Greg Hunter
    Muskets:

News, Notes & Rumors – June 11 Collin Smith, a freshman safety at WVU, has reportedly decided to transfer elsewhere. An all-state quarterback and
    [See the full post at: News, Notes & Rumors – June 11]

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

Have we ever lost this many players with eligibility remaining?????
    quarterbacks Chris Chugunov and David Isreal
    Wide receivers Ricky Rogers and Reggie Roberson
    Offensive linemen Ray Raulerson and Alec Shriner
    Defensive linemen Jaleel Fields, Jalen Harvey, Lamonte McDougle and Adam Shuler
    Defensive backs Jacquez Adams, Jordan Adams, Fontez Davis, Collin Smith and Kevin Williams
    Punter Jonn Young.

QB hurts only in depth and running the Scout Team.
    WR is depth
    OL hurts because we are always thin there
    DL is the KILLER>>>>>> We should have been set, but lost t2 starters.
    DB is depth
    Punter we always need one more.

Kevin Kinder
    Kevin Kinder
    Muskets:

DL is the one that stands out there. But, of the 16 players listed there, only five had made any sort of contribution, and it was evident that almost all of the others weren’t going to play. Collin Smith was a bit of a surprise, having been there just one year.

There’s also one DB on that list that is expected to come back for the fall. Mentioned that on the SL.

When I think of depth, I put it in terms of quality rather than bodies. If you have a bunch of guys that can’t play, that’s not depth. Help them go elsewhere, and try to replace with guys that can play in at least a backup role.

Of the guys on this list, only Roberson (minimal) and the DLs were in that class.

WVU does have Angus Davies coming in with the August group, so punter is ok. OL Raulerson was always on the border. I thought Shriner had a chance to develop, but that was a miss.

WVUWP
    Muskets:

The concern, to me, is that the staff missed on so many players in a short period of time. And it’s not like these guys were known risks or projects. Not that they were projected to be stars, but you need to get some kind of contribution from the vast majority of your recruiting classes at some point in their career to be successful. They don’t even need to be starters or all-conference type players. If you can bring a kid in and the worst thing that happens is you redshirt him, have him play on special teams for 2 years then play significant snaps as a backup for 2 years, then you can build something, IMO. If you have those kids in the pipeline to give you some depth, you can take risks on kids who have athletic upside but have academic, injury, or (gulp – certain types of) character concerns, or who you know will be projects. Some of the best players in WVU history have fallen into that category (Pac Man Jones, Chris Henry, Avon Cobourne, and Anthony Becht all come to mind). But you can’t take those risks if you’re not hitting on the bulk of your recruits, especially with the hard cap on 25 per class, including transfers.

Butlereer
    Butlereer
    Muskets:

DL is the one that stands out there. But, of the 16 players listed there, only five had made any sort of contribution, and it was evident that almost all of the others weren’t going to play. Collin Smith was a bit of a surprise, having been there just one year.

There’s also one DB on that list that is expected to come back for the fall. Mentioned that on the SL.

When I think of depth, I put it in terms of quality rather than bodies. If you have a bunch of guys that can’t play, that’s not depth. Help them go elsewhere, and try to replace with guys that can play in at least a backup role.

Of the guys on this list, only Roberson (minimal) and the DLs were in that class.

WVU does have Angus Davies coming in with the August group, so punter is ok. OL Raulerson was always on the border. I thought Shriner had a chance to develop, but that was a miss.

Only 5 made any sort of contribution? Only 5? Losing 5 contributors is a lot. At least 2 of them were starters. How many of the 11 were possible 2 deep projects? Even at that, 16 defections with remaining eligibility is an alarming number. This could point to a much deeper problem in the program. How many years can you go thru with double digit losses when you can only bring in 25 players in a year.

Let’s not try to soft soap this. 16 is a huge number. Problems with retaining good players? Lost at least 5. Problems with evaluating recruits? Most likely not the whole 11, but even half is a problem. Problem with not keeping or developing the rest? There are a number of reasons, and none of the reasons are acceptable when you lose 16 in one season. It will take us 2 or 3 years to make up the numbers to get back up to 85.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports News, Notes & Rumors – June 11