Next Level Players…

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Next Level Players…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

OFFENSE

1. McKivits

2. Sills

3. McKoy (maybe – almost as good as Smallwood)

4. Petteway (possible – reminds me of Mongomery from ISU)

Anyone else? Would have to reach for anyone else… going on potential and raw talent.

DEFENSE

1. Dante Stills

2. Darius Stills

3. H. Bailey (has the tools and the speed to play but will he blossom?)

4. K. Washington (see Bailey minus the speed)

Anyone else? Again you’d have to reach to throw up other names.

Cowan may not be too much of a reach.  We’ll see how he looks this season.

What evidence suggests Cowan is a potential NFL player? The fact that he went to Alabama?

The fact that he’s a SO and immediately starting, turning heads in practice last year.  4* recruit with great size and athletic ability.   Like I said.  Let’s see how this year goes.

Basically my point… nothing we’ve seen, just pure speculation.

Correct you are oh wise man from across the border.

Nah, just the only reason I didn’t throw Cowan’s name in as I was tempted to do… but then I thought why? What have we seen? The answers was nada!!!

Coaches have seen enough of him in practice to tab him as the starter without ever playing a game in a WVU uniform.

True enough but he will be playing a position that doesn’t directly translate at the next level. If a freak like Bruce Irvin can’t master that dual role then…

Among the older guys, the only definite NFL players in my opinion are McKivitz and Sills. Maybe McKoy, but I’ve quit trying to figure out what the NFL wants in running backs.

Dante Stills definitely has the look of an NFL player, but still a little too young to know for certain, but I’d be surprised if he isn’t. I like Darius Sills too, but he seems a little undersized for the next level.

Among the younger guys who haven’t played yet but definitely look like NFL players are Sam James and VanDarius Cowan.

Also Leddie Brown, Kwantel Raines, Taijh Alston and Sean Ryan all have NFL bodies, but we haven’t seen enough from them to know if they can play or if they just look good.

Also all three tight ends – Jovani Haskins, T.J. Banks and Mike O’Laughlin – could have NFL potential but a little early to know for sure.

Others who could maybe develop into that level – Mike Brown, Bryce Wheaton and Jordan Jefferson, but all have a long way to go.

Greg,

seeing you throw out Jefferson is exciting and bodes well for out d-line this year. Looks like we naught actually have one of the better (deeper) lines in many years.

As you suggest all of the tight ends come to mind but that’s a weird position to project unless you have a superior talent or a physically impressive guy like Wesco developed into.

While I admit I really didn’t realize how short Darius was I just think he’s a guy that has ENOUGH talent and certainly the genes and a bit of a chip in his shoulder… I’ll be surprised if doesn’t play himself into a draft position and stick in the league for a while at least.

Dante has it all and every indication is him becoming a dominant player at this level.

As for James it would be great if he shows that level ASAP. While I think we have sufficient talent at WR having that guy that teams have to focus on would open up a lot of avenues for a team that isn’t super talented on that side of the ball. Probably the least overall talent we’ve had on that side in well over a decade.

George Campbell.  Unfortunately his college career at FSU resembles Kevin White’s NFL career.  Let’s hope a change of schools helps him like it did for Kenny Bigelow last season.

Butler,  Tabbing a player as an NFL prospect because he’s first team on a srping or pre-fall depth chart is kind of fraught with danger. While Neal Brown hasn’t disparaged the depth chart like Dana did, it’s just not something that a lot of time is spent on, up until this week, when decisions start to be made.

We report on them, and we try to keep up on what we see, but even watching every practice, you wouldn’t get a true picture, because of all the moving and mixing that goes on during camp. That’s one reason that you will see us mention these sorts of things, but we don’t make 40-point headlines screaming that the #3 spear moved up to #2 on one day. It’s just not reflective of where things stand, or of how coaches work players in practice.

As we’ve noted during the fall, Cowan has a ton of talent. But can he execute, make the right reads and be consistent? Several other players (Sandwisch, Qualls) have gotten looks there.  At this point, will Cowan start? I think so, but I wouldn’t put that at 100% yet.

KK, are you suggesting that Brown and Co do not use the depth chart (and media) as a primary means of motivating players?

That would be truly unique as far as I can tell.

Example: to not name Cowan a starter over say Sandwisch…. just telling Cowan, the superior talent – you’re really not cutting it at the moment.

I think there is more mental games in training camp than physical. The coaches are probably 90%+ sure what they are going to do but want to push everyone.

Pretty basic concept and a vital one for a new group of coaches… show me, old guy’s gone

Mex,

I haven’t asked this new staff that question, but I will start nudging it out. It won’t be something I would ask in an open session at the podium, because I don’t think I would get an answer that got to the heart of it.

He could be using it as a tool, but if that were the case, why was Cowan the first bandit on the fall depth chart? IF he were using it that way, then wouldn’t one of the other guys be there?

(Aside: I don’t want to leave the impression Cowan isn’t trying, or is being an Antonio Brown. Just need him to be more consistent.)

I agree that there are some motivational ploys used, and some messages delivered via the media. For example, in the spring, the coaches were unhappy with the attention and timeliness of some for meetings, and of their diligence in studying video. Multiple coaches mentioned that in successive interviews.

While those messages are being delivered in camp, both in person and indirectly, I would disagree that camp is more mental than physical, unless you are including learning assignments and exectuing them as mental tasks. For sure, it’s way less taxing physically than it used to be, wth no two-a-days, some non-contact days, etc., but if we’re talking about the way each player performs on the field, a lot of that comes down to physical ability.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Next Level Players…