No, Transfers Aren’t Making The Sky Fall

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports No, Transfers Aren’t Making The Sky Fall

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  irishladdy .

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

No, Transfers Aren’t Making The Sky Fall I’m sure you know the story of “Chicken Little,” where Henny Penny runs around town warning everyone that, “T
    [See the full post at: No, Transfers Aren’t Making The Sky Fall]

Nice work Greg. Everyone who has been on any sort of team knows that culture and chemistry play a big part in success. The inspiration for a group of  individuals to move in the same direction is predicated upon one’s ability to adapt to change, and I don’t just mean a change in leadership . Many times any change in people, process or culture causes one to reassess his own position, opportunity, security and comfort and change provides a vehicle to exit whether voluntarily or otherwise. It is then incumbent on those who remain to buy into the vision, create small short term wins, celebrate those wins, and translate them into bigger and bigger wins. Usually a good leader can make that happen. Stand by.

Happy Fathers Day

Now, if memory serves, some of the young men who put their names into the portal have not found landing places as of yet.

What happens if they don’t find a landing place?  Is the outcome different for different sports?

At some point if just feels that the NCAA is going to have to address this transfer issue and allow schools to replace departures that find a new landing place with a transfer in.  I would think you would have to put the caveat in that the departure has to be active some place else to help cut down on abuse of the system.

a first impression from just a casual fan is that the departures this year, as a group and relative to the other years cited, are generally a bit more talented.  If the numbers are similar it still seems like the impact will be greater.

Now, if memory serves, some of the young men who put their names into the portal have not found landing places as of yet.

What happens if they don’t find a landing place?  Is the outcome different for different sports?

At some point if just feels that the NCAA is going to have to address this transfer issue and allow schools to replace departures that find a new landing place with a transfer in.  I would think you would have to put the caveat in that the departure has to be active some place else to help cut down on abuse of the system.

Players who enter the portal can be broght back by their original school, but that is totally at the option of the school. Once a player enters the portal, the choice to return is out of the player’s hands.

Agreed on your final point. It would seem that transfers, expecially those with multiple years of eligibility remaining, should be allowed to be replaced and not count against the 25 per year limt.

So we’re saying because we have had an ongoing rash of
    departures in the past its ok to continue the practice today? What’s missing here is what were the consequences of the
    departures in years following in terms of team success !?
    And what will it be this year?
    Will Chicken Little come to roost?

I totally agree.  I also disagree when one believes a player that transfers should be penalized.

Too often transfers are pushed out the door for one reason or another and should not be penalized for transferring unless it’s transferring into a sister school, or within their conference.

I especially believe that because when an athlete signs his LOI, he signs for one year only.  So, after the one year, the school if they so wish can bid that player adieu.  So, if a player is forced out, why should he be penalized?

I firmly believe that any student-athlete if he so desires should be allowed one transfer without any penalty unless he transfers within the conference that he currently belongs to.  For those players to keep honesty involved they should be required to sit out a year unless he is a graduate of the school that he is leaving.  Graduates should have no penalties attached to their choice of schools.

Tony, I agree with you.  Just because we’ve lost players in the past doesn’t make losing 9 this year OK.  There are at least 5 that would be starters or get major playing time.  In prior years most of those players were buried in the depth chart.  Not the case this year. Portal has made it much easier for players to leave.  In the past we haven’t seen the rash of better players leaving for “greener” pasture.  It definitely has made the Grad Transfer much easier.

Eugene.  I understand your stance on immediate play time for all.  But that would be a disaster for many teams.  Think of what this would do to the G5 schools and most of the schools at the bottom of the P5 conferences.  Great players (FR & SO) transferring at will could decimate these programs.  You would have the Blue Bloods poaching players and not have to worry about them sitting for a year.  If you don’t think that “recruiting” from other teams wouldn’t happen, you need to take off your blinders.

There are unintended consequences because of the portal now.  Just think of the problems that would arise if all players could transfer without sitting any time they want for any reason.  Be careful what you ask for.

departures in the past its ok to continue the practice today? What’s missing here is what were the consequences of the

There’s no way to definitively say what the effect of a transfer is on the team that he left. Even if he was going to play, as Pitts and Robinson certainly were, maybe they would have gotten injured or continued to run afoul of rules and not be on the field. Or maybe their negative effects would have more than counteracted their contributions. Or maybe they would be All Americans. We just don’t know for sure.

Now, this does hurt WVU in terms of depth a lot. That’s a clear negative for WVU. But is establishing the parameters of what won’t be tolerated a bonus?

Are you suggesting that some of these kids were “asked” to enter the portal because they weren’t following tolerated parameters?   Losing 4-5 players that would either start or get significant pt this year is a hit no matter what the negative consequences of their actions in the locker room were.  Long term you have to set guidelines and stick by them.  Short term it still hurts.  If so, it may cost us a few games this year that we could have won.  Long term it makes us better ……. we hope.

I don’t think that all players being asked to leave, or perhaps was told by the coaches they could keep their scholarship but due to more advanced players likely wouldn’t see the field is not conducive to keep him from transferring.

I personally wonder why three or four Mountaineer players transferred this year.  They appeared to be well satisfied to be a Mountaineer.

We will probably never know why some of those players transferred.  But, I suspect that some didn’t leave voluntarily.

I believe that players should have to meet certain academic standards, including progress toward their degree, to be allowed to transfer without penalty. Otherwise, they sit out the transfer year as it has been in the past.

Good point Nicky.  IMO if there is an academic threshold without penalty it should be significantly higher than just progressing toward a degree.  If a player is barely making it and wants to transfer, sitting 1 year would be good so he could get his grades up and continue toward his degree.   If he is say a Deans List student then he should be rewarded by not having to sit.

That being said, I’m still not a big fan of transferring without penalty.

Nick, I have to agree that a player who is failing school or has acts of less than good citizenship should not be allowed to transfer without penalty.  These players should if allowed to transfer, should sit out one school year.  In addition, all school records should be sent to the new school.

But, IMO, more players transferring are doing so for reasons not involving failing grades or poor citizenship.  These players should not be penalized as long as they transfer outside their present conference.

I don’t think he’s saying that at all.  I think he’s saying you would be hard pressed to find any period of time in program history without attrition similar or worse to this, it’s just the transfer portal has made it more newsworthy where previously players leaving under the cover of darkness were footnotes on spring or summer articles few read.

One other thing to note is you are comparing this offseason which is during a coaching change to a five year period of somewhat coaching continuity under DH.

I think I made this exact Hunter argument last week in a thread responding to an article by Kevin where I said people were being a little dramatic about the transfer portal and it practically shuttering programs…

It seems to me that transfer portal coverage by sports media is much more prevalent this season than last. Or maybe it’s just that my perception is clouded because we have so many leaving. I just don’t recall this much attention being paid to transfers.

IMO this season is much different.  It’s not the amount of transfers, but the quality of kids leaving.  When was the last time we had 5 guys leave the system that would be either starters or get major pt.  Losing the top WR’s hurt.  Losing the top 3 S’s hurt.  Losing the rest OL, DL, CB, WR even if it’s depth hurt.

In the past we didn’t have these types of defections.  Usually it was for grades, lack of PT or even behavior.  ALL (almost all, IMO 7 of 8) of these guys would have seen the carpet for significant minutes.

Make any excuse you want.  But the facts are that we have lost a significantly higher percentage more players that would highly contribute this year than any other year in the past.

WHY?!!!!

The almignty question that is SO elusive on just about every occurance

involving WVU athletes! The generic discussions are absolutely worthless

Without the facts! All we have Is conjecture! And being admonished for

asking by those in the know is insulting!

Some players don’t like change. They move on. Others don’t like competing for the spots again. They move on. Nobody will ever know the real reason somebody leaves. WVU is not the only school that has players transfer. Starters or not.

WHY?!!!!

The almignty question that is SO elusive on just about every occurance

involving WVU athletes! The generic discussions are absolutely worthless

Without the facts! All we have Is conjecture! And being admonished for

asking by those in the know is insulting!

You might want to try decaf.

Each case is unique.  Some transfer because of the coaching changes, some transfer because of grade issues, and some transfer because their girlfriend left them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports No, Transfers Aren’t Making The Sky Fall