Numbers Game: Difficult For FBS Programs To Maintain 85 Scholarships

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Numbers Game: Difficult For FBS Programs To Maintain 85 Scholarships

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated by Kevin KinderKevin Kinder.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Numbers Game: Difficult For FBS Programs To Maintain 85 Scholarships The scholarship limit for NCAA FBS college football teams is a total of 85, but i
    [See the full post at: Numbers Game: Difficult For FBS Programs To Maintain 85 Scholarships]

Unless a miracle comes down out of the clouds we won’t be close to the 85 allowed. With 72 (your count at this time) (what happened to 88 Isaiah Esdale WR ?) and 19 commits we have 3 more available. So, if nobody else leaves we end up with 75. But don’t hold your breath on that number. We could still lose a couple eligible players and we still don’t have all of the commits in class. And any current player with less than 2 years in the system that we give a schollie to would count toward the extra 3 slots that we have left to fill. Could add a couple Blue Shirts, but that is yet to be determined.

IMO getting over the 75 number will be a stretch without giving a lot of schollies to walk ons. Giving schollies to RSO Walk On’s will take away from future schollie availability. So it’s a delicate balancing act. Even with a small SR class (15) this year we will need every one of the 25 available next year to get close to the 85 mark. It will take a couple years to get over 80 as it is.

I’m not sure about your question about Isaiah Esdale. He’s still on the team, has been for the past two years, enrolled at WVU in August of 2018.

Scholarship numbers and recruiting is a convoluted business for sure. I’ve often thought, it would help, that once a player/student verbals; they should be required to sign (even the early commits). I think it would help on the back end with numbers and you’d have fewer kids de-committing (in the long run) if they knew they had to sign along with the verbal.

(Kansas director of athletic Jeff Long, whose football program has been hit by attrition over the years, has suggested allowing 50 scholarships to be awarded over a two-year period. The math still works out to 25 per year, but a program could split those up in various ways – 35-15, 30-20, however they want.

Some have suggested to up the yearly total to 30, and then there are others who have said there should be some ratio to add to the annual limit based on the number of transfers leaving – say, for instance, one additional scholarship for each two who leave.)

The above is just adding more bullshit to the problem.

Jeez, “keep it simple stupid.” Let’s just apply “Occam’s Razor” to the problem of getting to 85 scholarship:    Each year you bring in as many player as it takes to get to 85.

Occam’s razor simply states that of any given set of explanations for an event occurring, the simplest one is most likely the correct one.

As a young, know nothing kid, I never thought I’d witness “problems” like this. I mean, I grew up in the day (from the “Northeast”) when schools like Penn State, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, etc., etc. loaded up on talent they KNEW would sit on the bench, just to prevent their closest rivals from ever getting a shot at the “Top 20,” let alone that ONE GAME that determined a “National Champion” that they could stuff into a trophy case. (And I’ll not get into all of the other overt violations that’ve taken place during that tenure.)

The ONE and SINGLE THING the NCAA ever did right, was impose scholarship limitations for ALL programs in the (WAY too wide) Division 1–which completely changed the landscape. Because that in itself finally assured some long overdue parity, despite remaining as the ONLY division in not only collegiate play, but from the HS level to the NFL that hasn’t had a legitimate playoff–which remains, sadly, to this day.

Therefore, personally, I’m having a good laugh over this “problem,” whether or not it affects WVU–particularly considering the FACT that this nation’s population FAR exceeds that of which I just spent 15 minutes or so describing.

Greg Hunter said:
    I’m not sure about your question about Isaiah Esdale. He’s still on the team, has been for the past two years, enrolled at WVU in August of 2018.

Greg, that was in reference to the schollie count tab.  He wasn’t on it the other day and total # was 72.  See now that it’s been changed and total now 73.

I thought I had rolled everyone over to the 2020 roster and schollie count, but missed Esdale. Think everything is up to date now. If anyone sees any other errors/anomalies, let me know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Numbers Game: Difficult For FBS Programs To Maintain 85 Scholarships