O-Line predictions…

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports O-Line predictions…

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Kevin Kinder Kevin Kinder .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

So this is what we are relegated to, predicting the starting O-line…

LT – McKivitz

LG – Mays

C – Berhndt

RG – Sills

RT – Hughes

Mex, your starting o-line may very well be what we see against N.C. State. My guess – and admittedly it’s just a guess – is that James Gmiter starts are LG. Rest I’d agree with you, including John Hughes at RT. It will be interesting to see if there are any of those changes, or if other positions see changes. Neal Brown was very obvious with his displeasure in the running backs and also with T. J. Simmons at slot receiver. Those could see changes as well.

Is there an injury with Uzebu that I’ve missed? Seems we heard a fair bit about him but has some fallen off the radar?

Perhaps getting Gmiter, Mays and Uzebu 4 games while maintaining the redshirt for each is doable. Hate to say it but Brown MUST be looking toward 2020 already.

Greg, what’s the issue with simmons at slot?

Guess would be effort as there is no reason he shouldn’t be able to get separation and make himself an available target. That said maybe he just isn’t that guy and only got looks last year as he got the most beatable coverage person/look on virtually every play.

You would have thought that Moore would have  this line settled in a little more.  Looks like maybe only 1 slot is stable.  Guys moving around, new guys moving in after 2 games is very concerning. OL is as much consistency and being comfortable with the guys next to you as it is athletic ability.  It will take a few games for the starting 5 to gel.

I’ve been one of O line’s more vocal critics, perhaps unfairly as I’ve been thinking about something.  Are these coaches changing the techniques/blocking scheme as RR did with Rick Trickett.  After a few similar lackluster o line’s in his early tenure, we actually had well disciplined blocking all along the front, hence all we could do with Rasheed Marshall was run the ball but no one could stop us.  Is a replay of that same scenario?  I’ve questioned the talent level of these guys but is it possibly that these guys are being asked to do something they either have never been coached to do before or maybe they don’t have the talent set for this scheme?  Greg, can you kick in here with what you see/hear during practice?

Bush also regulated to 2nd string behind Winston Wright. 😯

Indictment of his blocking deficiencies? Sending a message about other issues? Been our best (only) playmaker thus far.

Those regulations will bite you!😊

Jeff, that is curious. Perhaps just a message to everyone and using Bush as an example?

Perhaps trying McKoy at slot given our depth at RB? Gives us formation flexibility and he’s a solid receiver, was called out best slot receiver last year as I recall.

Just because you look to be on the 2nd level doesn’t mean you won’t play a lot of snaps.

Is there an injury with Uzebu that I’ve missed? Seems we heard a fair bit about him but has some fallen off the radar?

Perhaps getting Gmiter, Mays and Uzebu 4 games while maintaining the redshirt for each is doable. Hate to say it but Brown MUST be looking toward 2020 already.

Asked about Uzebu recently, and while he is doing ok, was not deemed ready to play yet. He did travel to Missouri.

There is no way Brown and the coaches are looking foward next year in terms of how they coach this year. Do that, and you send a message to your team that this year doesn’t matter. You risk losing juniors who see that and say – well if we are bad next year, I’m not going to play, because the coaches will pitch the season and go with young guys. And if those young guys aren’t ready to play and get destroyed, their confidence and progress could be shattered.

Experience is good, but it needs to come with the potential for some success.

Greg, what’s the issue with simmons at slot?

Guess would be effort as there is no reason he shouldn’t be able to get separation and make himself an available target. That said maybe he just isn’t that guy and only got looks last year as he got the most beatable coverage person/look on virtually every play.

It’s as much blocking as it is receiving and getting open, although the latter has been an issue as well.

The depth chart provides a lot of discussion, but the coaches aren’t married to it come game day. It gets way more attention than it should, because it’s an easy thing to write off of. Watchng who actually plays is what counts, which we try to do in the Film Room each week.

That said, it can be used to send a message, as Jeff notes. We’ll see if some of the listed changes come to fruition.

I would be more inclined to think Mays plays at center, but again, like Greg, that’s just my reasoned guess. WVU has to get better on the right side. Sills obviously has the talent – I  think he just had a bad game against Missouri.  Tackle could be the other spot where we see a change.

Also, some of these changes might not come in the starting lineup, but maybe in the form of subs. That would give the new guys a chance to watch a series or two.

I don’t know anything about the OL guys who aren’t playing, and don’t claim to know much about the ones who are.  But one observation I am willing to make about Sills is that he is not very quick.  Personally I have always felt quickness is a talent that is often overlooked, probably because there is no really good measure for it.  But you can see it on the playing field even if it is hard to measure off of it.  Sills, I think, wiffs on more blocks than he would if he were quicker, especially when there is just a little space between him and the defender.

Not sure how fast anyone is playing with a bad foot.

If some of the upper classmen on the OL can’t step up quickly Moore may be forced to play the FR ready or not.

Kevin, you can coach for the future without announcing it, particularly if a unit continues to perform like the o-line.

And my old go to quote…

When asked what accounted for his sudden turnaround at FSU early in his career…

Bowden replied that stopped playing the upperclassmen and started playing the most talented players (or something along those lines).

mex, that’s a fiar point, but I think players are pretty savvy, and would soon pick up on that.

Understand, though, that I’m not advocating playing upperclassmen or veterans just because they have been there longer. If the younger guys are better, play them.

I think at this point the coaches haven’t seen the younger guys or backups being close enough in performance in practice to justify playing them.  Brown certainly said that in the Mizzou post game. Did that change this week? I think so, and I think we will see some changes.

My thought was that I would not dump an entire season in order to play new guys in the hope they develop.  I think there’s a lot of nuance in that, and I acknowledge that you have to coach for the future in some regards by trying to provide practice time for them. That’s one of the reasons for Monday Night Football, although this week Moore said it was one of the important practices for backups to show if they deserved more time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports O-Line predictions…