Our New Hire

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Our New Hire

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  NoPittyHere .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

If nothing else, our young new hire is absolutely FULL of enthusiasm. And I LIKE it.

Right out of the gate, he has been busy. Busy recruiting. Busy securing a key addition in a key position. And it doesn’t stop there.

Time will tell, but the difference between a WVU and a Clemson is a coach that can recruit and build a program, regardless of the disadvantages–whatever those are. And if WVU is more disadvantaged than Clemson is in South Carolina, somehow making a living in the long shadow of the SEC, as the “second school” in their own state, in a second-rate football conference that is basketball first, then I’d like to know how one has managed such success while the other has wallowed in excuses spanning decades. Without the self-abasement that’s pervaded this fan base for FAR. TOO. LONG.

Again, time will tell. But I’m more jacked than I recall ever being about the future of this program based on the enthusiasm this guy hasn’t seen since the Don Nehlen era began–which resulted in not only a HOF coach, but the very stadium and facilities that SHOULD bear his name that does not.

Kudos to AD Lyons and President Gee.

Excellent, NoPitty. While it would be naive to deny some of the things that work against West Virginia in recruiting and building programs, they are not obstacles that can’t be overcome, nor are they items to build excuses upon.

WVU has done well for several stretches in most of its sports. It excels at the national level in a few. It can raise that level with the right mix of coaches, players and funding. We think that the first may be in place. The third has a major campaign ongoing. The second obviously must follow, but if Brown’s message is received by recruits as it is by the fanbase, there’s reason for hope there too.

I will add one thing. I know this wasn’t your point, but I bring it up because I often get hit with it. When judging the results of a particular season, I typically don’t include expectations as part of the evaluation, because those are often 1) way off base or 2) affected by other factors unknown at the time. For instance, WVU’s football season this year I rate as good, but not great. That doesn’t mean I accept it as the limit that a WVU program can reach, or that it wasn’t disappointing in some regards after being in position to secure a spot in the Big 12 Championship game and play in an NY6 Bowl.  I thoroughly detest the “accepting mediocrity” label.

A successful program must have “that guy”. Clemson has reached new heights under Swinney.  Before Bob Devaney came to Lincoln, the University of Nebraska was a low/middle of the pack Big 6/8 team. He turned UN into the absolute #1 program in college football and his successor, Tom Osborne, kept them at the top. Jerry Claiborne at Maryland, Bear Bryant at UK, T A&M then UA, Spurrier at Duke, Pappy Lewis at WVU………….. It can happen at WVU……with “that guy”.

Too many of our fans talk like we’re bringing up the rear in college sports. That’s false. We’re good. Not great. Because we are good the jump to great while difficult is not impossible. It may well be that Neal Brown is the next step upwards. And maybe Tshiebwe, too.

Great coaches attract great players. Thought we had an upgrade with Holgs, but it started to stutter with recruiting and keeping coaches. Brown’s approach seems to be a step above. Let’s hope it continues.

I really thought Holgs was the coach that would propel WVU into a whole new era of excellence–much as Clemson has enjoyed of late. Especially with Big 12 ties. I also placed more faith in then AD Luck than maybe I should have, in retrospect. Too, there was what had just gone down with Coach Stewart, and I admit also in retrospect that I was off course about all of these men, not in character or their purpose(s), but in my expectations of all of them. And that’s on me, as it really should apply to all of us who really care about the program in any form.

Coach Brown though, has me more intrigued than any other choice to take the reins at WVU in my memory–especially in the age of instant gratification. I just have a feeling that this guy is going to truly be a “WVU guy” and take this school to places we’ve not been before (which obviously is a NC), though oh so close in the past.

I realize this will take some time, but I’m totally on board, full steam ahead. And confident.

Would love to see Neal Brown have great success here. Winning 8 games on avg and staying 20 years. I know 8 wins on avg at WVU is asking a lot but I see no reason why WVU can’t finish 3rd 90% of the time in Big 12.

8 wins per year on average is absolutely possible at WVU.  When you look at our history, you’ll see that even in most seasons where we did not get 8 wins, we were so close in two or three games that had a break or two gone our way in those two or three games they would have been wins.

I really thought Holgs was the coach that would propel WVU into a whole new era of excellence–much as Clemson has enjoyed of late. Especially with Big 12 ties. I also placed more faith in then AD Luck than maybe I should have, in retrospect. Too, there was what had just gone down with Coach Stewart, and I admit also in retrospect that I was off course about all of these men, not in character or their purpose(s), but in my expectations of all of them. And that’s on me, as it really should apply to all of us who really care about the program in any form. Coach Brown though, has me more intrigued than any other choice to take the reins at WVU in my memory–especially in the age of instant gratification. I just have a feeling that this guy is going to truly be a “WVU guy” and take this school to places we’ve not been before (which obviously is a NC), though oh so close in the past. I realize this will take some time, but I’m totally on board, full steam ahead. And confident.

I think that all involved had the best intentions of taking WVU to the top, I can’t fault Luck as we are in a much better place than we would have been without him.  Let’s hope Brown does that as well, but in this day and age I only hope that if he does take us to the top we can keep him rather than be the perennial stepping stone program that gets coaches to their “dream job”.   Just sit back and enjoy the ride

Keeping a great coach is esay. All it takes is money and a long term contract that rolls over well before the buy out is managable.

I don’t know how anyone can legitimately knock the job Oliver Luck did in while in Morgantown.

He did a great job, but there is no doubt he mishandled the hiring of Dana.

I don’t know how anyone can legitimately knock the job Oliver Luck did in while in Morgantown.

“Legitimately knock” might be a strong term, but he wasn’t the type of beyond-criticism savior that some people thought he was or painted him to be.  As noted above, he did not handle the Bill Stewart-Dana Holgorsen situation very well at all.  His management of the multi-media rights deal with IMG led to costly litigation (WVRC was a sore loser, but Luck’s failure to pay attention to detail opened the door for the lawsuit).  I personally don’t think he handled the ouster of Craig Turnbull very well, and his successor (can’t remember his name) was not at all successful.

Obviously the move to the Big 12 is his crowning achievement, with the IMG deal a close second.  Those moves allowed improvements to a number of other athletics programs, so I think his legacy is a great one.  But it’s not without a few blemishes.

We are only team in country playing 11 Power 5 teams a year for 7 straight years. Teams like Alabama only play 9 and they only play non conference games at home or neutral sites. We could win more games playing Alabama’s schedule. We should expect to average 8 wins but a 10 win schedule is going to be very difficult because of our schedule

“Legitimately knock” might be a strong term, but he wasn’t the type of beyond-criticism savior that some people thought he was or painted him to be. As noted above, he did not handle the Bill Stewart-Dana Holgorsen situation very well at all. His management of the multi-media rights deal with IMG led to costly litigation (WVRC was a sore loser, but Luck’s failure to pay attention to detail opened the door for the lawsuit). I personally don’t think he handled the ouster of Craig Turnbull very well, and his successor (can’t remember his name) was not at all successful. Obviously the move to the Big 12 is his crowning achievement, with the IMG deal a close second. Those moves allowed improvements to a number of other athletics programs, so I think his legacy is a great one. But it’s not without a few blemishes.

Couldn’t have answered any better, WVUWP. As you stated, OL did some good things–even great things for WVU. But yes, there were a few bumps. That’s human. Perhaps, better put, I placed OL on too high of a pedestal. Again, my problem.

Besides, I really liked Oliver Luck–and still do. And I truly believe he was the right man for the job, at precisely the right time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Our New Hire