Pass Protection

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Pass Protection

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated by Kevin KinderKevin Kinder.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I would be interested in hearing from the o-line coach as to what issues are causing the terrible pass protection from the line, particularly the tackles?

Is it assignment recognition?

Is it communication?

Is it footwork?

Is it primarily inexperience?

Is it simply talent?

Still had 540 total yards and over 300 passing. So I’m not sure what the issue is? Perhaps the multiple dropped balls and trigger happy QB because of pressure. OR just not enough experience on OL. You would think it would eventually click.

318 yds passing   …..  Doege was 26-44

318 yds is good, but it was Kansas.

I would be interested in seeing how many drops for each WR.  How many hurries because of poor protection. How many times Doege was hit.

T’s are inexperienced.  Getting Gmiter back will be a positive.

We’d love to talk to the other assistant coaches. That public opportunity is not being provided at present.

From my observations, along with info from a couple of other sources, I think multiple issues are in play. Inexperience, as Butler notes, is a big one. That also folds in with assignment recognition. I’ve seen OLs looking in the wrong spot, or giving up on an initiated block because they think they have help, for example.

The talent is a tougher question. I thought Uzebu was good there, but Yates seems to have the edge at this point. I don’t think either has proven they can’t play, so I am calling that an incomplete grade at this point.

I would be interested in seeing how many drops for each WR.  How many hurries because of poor protection. How many times Doege was hit.

I did this in the film room once this year – the OSU game IIRC. Doege is getting hit and hurried a lot. It’s not Chad Johnston 1994 levels, but I think it’s significant. But there are other times he is simply off target.

WVU had six drops, in my assessment, against Kansas. One had a little help from a defender, but the ball was already coming out before he got his hands on it. More to come in the film room.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Page forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Pass Protection