Perhaps…

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Perhaps…

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ccteam .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

if he had sat Ahmad a few times over the years he wouldn’t have had to once it was too late.

My biggest ever issue with Huggs has been his unwillingness to bench Ahmad… too little too late.

Agreed.  Esa has the potential, but just has never been consistent.  That consistency comes with hard work.  Time in the gym working on the things that makes himself and the team better.

It surprised me that he took himself out of the NBA evaluation period so very early.  With his talent you would think that he’d work his arse off to get as good as he could then go thru the eval period the same as Sags and get the feedback.

The other thing was the brain fart at the end of the prior season that resulted in his suspension. That was just stupid.  More selfish than anything.  I was surprised that Huggs didn’t sit him more after that when he had laps’s on the floor.  Now we’re paying for it with even more brain farts with all the turnovers.  Just a complete lack of concentration. This kid has huge ability.  Just not using it.

Agreed. Esa has the potential, but just has never been consistent. That consistency comes with hard work. Time in the gym working on the things that makes himself and the team better. It surprised me that he took himself out of the NBA evaluation period so very early. With his talent you would think that he’d work his arse off to get as good as he could then go thru the eval period the same as Sags and get the feedback. The other thing was the brain fart at the end of the prior season that resulted in his suspension. That was just stupid. More selfish than anything. I was surprised that Huggs didn’t sit him more after that when he had laps’s on the floor. Now we’re paying for it with even more brain farts with all the turnovers. Just a complete lack of concentration. This kid has huge ability. Just not using it.

Mind-blowing. And even that description doesn’t do justice.

One thing abundantly clear with him in there this season–and last year, is that he’s cost this team dearly on occasions with his stumbling, bumbling and fumbling, damn his “positives.”

I respect the hell out of Huggs but damn, if everyone else, and I do mean EVERYONE else, sees it…

Esa is his own worst enemy. Leads the team in scoring and probably TO’s as well

C’mon Mex, all coaches make decisions that they may regret, miss things that seem apparent to many but the coaches are too close to their responsibilities to do what appears to be obvious.

It’s being a coach and most important to being a coach is being a teacher.

I’m not sticking up for him and his staff but he is dealing with a morass where he needed the upperclassmen to take charge and it hasn’t happened.

Personally I don’t think sitting Esa will change much with the exception that it may motivate another to internally say fuck it, we aren’t going to  do this any longer and take the leadership role.

Sorry Rips but we have almost 4 years of evidence on this one and Huggs is guilty. EOS!

Last season we were something like 15-1 without him.  He comes back and we go 1-6, and finish 11-10 with him playing.  Doesn’t seem to me that he helped the team.

Let’s not confuse the 15-1 with mostly OOC games with the B12 games, Conference Tourney and Dance.  3 of the next 5 L’s were to top 10 teams and Kentucky.  Not  the same competition as the OOC games.

We did seem to go downhill after that 15-1 start.  He does not seam to fit in maybe that is why teddy allen left. He saw what was going on

A few additional items here:

Esa has had multiple suspensions at WVU, not just one. At least one, I think was from Huggins, not from the school or the NCAA. But granted, he has been given every chance.

To his credit, he did work hard over the summer. He dropped some weight, and looks extremely fit. Have to give him credit for that. Again, though, agreed that it’s on-court performance that counts the most. I don’t think he’s going to become a bench fixture. Huggs pretty much said that he and Wes can work their way back.

Some people have the leadership trait. Some don’t. Some aren’t vocal leaders, and those who aren’t looking for leadership probably won’t see it in them.

I do think Beetle is a leader by example. Works, plays hurt, is passionate. But for whatever reason it doesn’t resonate with many others. Maybe it’s a “suffer by comparison”  thing, because JC andDax were such strong and vocal personalities?

Teddy Allen’s departure had nothing to do with Esa or seeing what was going on. It had everything to do with his behavior toward the coaching staff.

Esa is a half step slow due to lack of quickness, and sometimes, it appears to me, a full step slow due to lack of focus and/or effort. He can’t dribble and hasn’t gotten better at that in 4 years. He’s a streaky shooter. His best attributes are his cutting ability and strong hands in rebounding. But, given the weakness of the guards this year he can’t be depended on as a scorer because he can’t create on his own and the guards aren’t able to see him or get the ball to him off his cuts. He gets uninvolved when not scoring, so WV gets little from his skill set this year. Partly about his relative strengths and weaknesses and partly because his teammates are not well suited to feed his strengths.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports Perhaps…