PressVirginia

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports PressVirginia

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Butlereer Butlereer .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Is anybody else concerned about the Press for this coming year?  Huggs keeps talking about how we will still Press.  I’m very concerned that we just don’t have enough bodies to do it.  An injury to Derek or Oscar keeping one them out for a handfull of games would be very difficult.

I hold your fears that WVU’s Press isn’t going to be close to previous standards. The addition of Gabe Osabuohien, if he’s eligible this year as Bob Huggins insinuated in his quotes today, than that would definitely help because it would give the Mountaineers a long, athletic wing who has the reputation as a very good defender. With him at the top of the press, ala Nate Adrian, that would be a nice place to start, but the others have to prove they can defend like the previous group of Jevon Carter, Daxter Miles, Tarik Phillip and company. I greatly enjoyed watching WVU’s smothering press, but I want to see if all the pieces are there this season. They certainly weren’t last year.

Dump “Press Virginia” and just play solid D.  Huggins was motivated to change things up in 2015 because the prior 2 or 3 years we weren’t winning…we joined the B-12 for the ’12-13 season and went 13-19 and the next season only improved to 17-16.  Losing is a great motivator.  To Huggins’ credit he installed the press in the ’15 season and the results were immediate.  But, in the past two season it was negated…in the ’18 season we won 26 games and lost 11.  In several of those 11 games we had leads at 1/2 time, some big, like the game KY in Morgantown.  Then there was last season.  Even in Carter’s last season you could see that he was wore down in the second half of many game.  The strength of this team should be our big front line of Oscar, Culver and Matthews…I don’t want to see these guys pressing for 30 mins.  I think we have enough talent to play good basketball without resorting to gimmicks. IMHO this team is built more for a traditional style of D, vs. a pressing one.  At its peak the “PV” style had Adrian, Carter, Miles and Holton running it.

“I hold your fears that WVU’s Press isn’t going to be close to previous standards. The addition of Gabe Osabuohien, if he’s eligible this year as Bob Huggins insinuated in his quotes today, than that would definitely help because it would give the Mountaineers a long, athletic wing who has the reputation as a very good defender.”

How many kids come in  and pick up Huggins’ system overnight?  Gabe was only a part time starter on a 18-16 team.  He was so bad on the offensive end of the court it was a wash on what he did on D.

I think we can all agree now that we won’t likely see a version of what became known as Press Virginia again. That was a special group with incredible leadership.

Having the ability to go into that mode for spurts could be even more valuable though. Jump in and out of that, 1-3-1… etc.

I would think Mathews could be the guy at the top of the press as well, maybe not quite the size and length of a Holton or Adrian but certainly the athleticism. Still boggles my mind how intuitive Nate was in the press, always getting the trap at the right time and place when other, more athletic guys didn’t.

Remember that WVU can press in a number of ways. While the 3-1-1 and the 1-2-2 fullcourt versions were the staples of what we usually assign to Press Virginia, that’s not all of it. There are several differet ways WVU can press starting at 3/4 cour or half court, and I think that’s much more likely this year.

WVU can go man and run and jump doubles on the ball, or push a 1-2-2 or a 1-3-1 out to half court, or use a 2-2-1. (Note that these are kind of simple descriptions, there’s a lot of rotation and changing looks in some of these presses.

Pressing in the halfcourt is a bit less taxing, so that helps with the depth some, but can still be structured to get long defenders on the ball or in the passing lanes.

That’s the trouble with getting a reputation like that. It’s hard to duplicate that kind of performance with different players year in and year out. Hugg’s adjusts his defenses according to the talent he has available. Like was stated before, just play solid D with what you have.Press or no press.

Agreed, catfish. Trying to be something you are not usually doesn’t produce good results. As Huggs often says, “Do what you can do, not what you can’t.”

I think WVU will always be a team that tries to pressure the ball, just thinking this year it will be in a different way, as we’ve been kicking around.

The PresVirginia years were an anomaly of sorts.  Although we have length and athletes like Adrian and Holton, we don’t hve their BB IQ.  Those guys just had the knack to be where they needed to be in the trap.  And a Carter type only comes around once in a lifetime.  We don’t have anybody near his skills let alone the skills of Dax on D.  Remember, as a true FR Dax was in the starting lineup mostly because of his D.

This year will be a much different Press look.  40 mins of 94 ft press is a thing of the past.

Huggins main thing no matter the defense will always be the rebounding first especially offensive rebounding where you get more attempts.

If we can keep Oscar and Derek out of foul trouble and play them together more than 10 min/gm we will get more than our fair share of O rebounds.

Not concerned as long it’s strategic in nature.  When it’s predictable, like doing it all game long, it could very well be a problem.  I enjoy when it’s turned up when least expected to get teams out of their flow.

"Confidence is a lot of this game or any game. If you don't think you can, you won't. "

- Jerry West

Good point, 2003, and I think that is something we’ll see this year. May not have the bodies and endurance to run it all the time, but spring it here and there, run it a few trips and see if it can change the flow of the game.

What’s the old song lyrics, “Falling in love with love is falling
    for make believe”? Same could be said about “Press Virginia”!
    Has there ever been any stats given that would prove that
    it wasn’t a “one trick pony” type of occurrence?
    Amen to the idea of more efficiency, both offensively and
    defensively in terms of effort and energy utilization.
    Less vanilla and more Neapolitan?
    It’s interesting that the discussion has made no mention of
    the opponent’s makeup or tendencies, assuming that we
    dictate the situation in all cases!?
    The coaching decision as whether to dictate or react is a
    game to game occurrence not to be generalized!
    Hit me again, barkeep!!

Tony, you’re comment that we “It’s interesting that the discussion has made no mention of the opponent’s makeup or tendencies, assuming that we dictate the situation in all cases!?” is an interesting thought.

I don’t know that we are really deep enough at the 4/5 to completely dictate what happens on the floor, but given that Culver and Tshiebwe can dominate the boards on both O and D we could take command of the game with both of these guys on the floor and Sherman, McNeil and McCabe shooting 3’s and working the perimeter D.  I’m not taking anything away from Matthews and Haley, but neither have the ability to put it up from 3 at a good rate and from what we’ve seen Sherman and McCabe can drive it in the paint.  McCabe may have to kick it out more but Sherman can finish.

With that lineup, I don’t know that any B12 team can match up with both Derek and Oscar.  Then the outside ability of those 3 is something that we haven’t had since the Beilein era.  Our dictating the game plan would cause the other teams to react to us instead of us reacting to their game.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home forums BlueGoldNews WVU Sports PressVirginia